BIG BLOCK FORD
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

501 cube TT engine? Will it be efficient, and reliable?

+4
jesse
dfree383
96Mustang460cid
Derek@BPP
8 posters

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

501 cube TT engine?  Will it be efficient, and reliable? - Page 2 Empty Re: 501 cube TT engine? Will it be efficient, and reliable?

Post  rmcomprandy 8th June 2023, 10:38

supervel45 wrote:
rmcomprandy wrote:
Derek@BPP wrote:I've had a customer call this week requesting a new shortblock.  Like I posted in my newbie thread, I don't know the in's and out's of the 385 series engines.  Here is what I was told by the customer..I want 1000-1200RWHP with a twin turbo kit.  Car is a 69 Mach 1 4 linked, 10.5W tires.  Key to it is, he wants to do this and stay right at 500 cubes or a little under.  Here is what another engine shop sent me...Before I go sending quotes I want your opinions..Don't be biased..You won't make me mad, as I'm asking for YOUR thoughts.

Other shop quoted:
Eliminator Ultra block 4.600" bore
Scat custom billet crank 3.8" stroke
Oliver billet Big Block 6.800" rods
Custom Ross pistons
Custom Solid Roller camshaft

Here is my thought:
Eliminator billet block 4.39" bore
Scat billet crank 4.14" stroke
Oliver billet Big Block rods 6.800"
Custom JE dish pistons 8.8:1 cut for TFS A460 with 91cc chambers   Give me your opinions. will this make the power reliably?

I figured it was an old original post so, I should look for an older build which would still be viable.
I had to go look it up in past records of a customer; big single turbo in a boat for a 500 Cubic Inch class.
You need to begin with a good strong block ... I used an A460 Ford Motorsport block.
4.530" bore 7.9/1 compression ratio; Diamond custom pistons.
3.875" stroke... made from a 429 truck crank offset ground to having 2.200" journals.
6.800" length Saenz B.B. Chevy rods; other brands are available these days.
A460 heads
40 inches of boost; that is about 19.5 lbs.
Custom Lazer roller camshaft + Lifters.

The rest is immaterial for what was being asked..

Nice Build Randy.  I "Assume" you went with the 18 Bolt Heads, seems that's a major attraction for the Turbo guys when the Blocks were available?

I know Erica Ortiz got away with the 10 Bolts so it can be done to a point.

Not back then ... 10 bolt heads with "O" rings and solid copper gaskets. 18 bolt heads are available today.

rmcomprandy

http://www.rmcompetition.com

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2