BIG BLOCK FORD
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

training wheels

4 posters

Go down

training wheels Empty training wheels

Post  Larry Williams December 18th 2010, 11:19 pm

seriously how far above the track should a 60" wheely bar be set? from the middle of the wheel to the track surface?

Last edited by Larry Williams on December 18th 2010, 11:37 pm; edited 1 time in total
Larry Williams
Larry Williams

Back to top Go down

training wheels Empty Re: training wheels

Post  richter69 December 18th 2010, 11:21 pm

what suspension?
richter69
richter69

Back to top Go down

Post  Larry Williams December 18th 2010, 11:38 pm

ladderbar and coil overs front and rear a tube chassis car. the '68 mustang
Larry Williams
Larry Williams

Back to top Go down

Post  DILLIGASDAVE December 19th 2010, 8:24 am

A lot of times with a 4-link I just start at about 4 - 4.5" from the bottom/6 - 6.5" from the center and work from there. But it truly is a guessing game depending on how violent a given car might be & how much sidewall the combo has available to wind-up. Testing is the only way to find a given car's ideal number.

As your slick choice's diameter and/or sidewall height (at rest) increases in size, wheelie bar height might also need to increase if a car combo shows it's prone to really wind-up the sidewalls a bunch. So a 34.5" OD slick with a ton of sidewall to possibly wind-up might need more wheelie bar height than a smaller 29" OD slick. But on the other hand if a given car is much more violent with the smaller 29" OD slick, then it might be the one that needs more wheelie bar height.

And ladder bar cars might also need to use a little more wheelie bar height (depending on how violent the car is) to keep from unloading the slicks.
DILLIGASDAVE
DILLIGASDAVE

Back to top Go down

Post  Larry Williams December 19th 2010, 10:38 am

thanks Dave now I have the starting point I needed

Larry
Larry Williams
Larry Williams

Back to top Go down

Post  cool40 December 19th 2010, 1:11 pm

i had mine at 8.5"to the wheel and still had issues with unloading the tire.with ladder bar's you should get a good video of how the car's working so you can get some idea where to start.a 60"will be easier than the 70"i run,to tune anyway,but like dave said it's gona depend on how the tire works.if your car gets the frontend up easy you'll need the bars higher.i'd get a video FIRST and see what it's doen.why are you putting bars on? Very Happy

Last edited by cool40 on December 23rd 2010, 7:45 pm; edited 1 time in total
cool40
cool40
BBF CONTRIBUTOR
BBF CONTRIBUTOR

Back to top Go down

Post  DILLIGASDAVE December 23rd 2010, 1:03 pm

cool40 wrote:.......i had mine at 8.5"to the wheel and still had issues with unloading the tire.......
Sometimes unloading the slicks even with a higher wheel height can be caused by a few things.......

A few possible causes are having the rear shock extension valving set too loose (harder suspension "hit"), having slick air pressure too low (over-winding the sidewalls), & having front strut/shock extension valving set too loose.

And some times it's just a deal where the "ideal" wheel height might have been over shot by mistake a given amount that allows the car to build just enough extra inertia/energy "on the way up" that the bars in effect don't "catch" the wheelstand in time. Wheelie bars unloading the slicks with the nose only 2-3" in the air is a lot less violent disruption than unloading the slicks with the nose 10-12" (or more) in the air.
DILLIGASDAVE
DILLIGASDAVE

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down