BIG BLOCK FORD
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Reverse pattern shifter on standard pattern trans?

3 posters

Go down

Reverse pattern shifter on standard pattern trans? Empty Reverse pattern shifter on standard pattern trans?

Post  torkair October 19th 2010, 11:55 am

I was wondering if there would be any sort of problems if I were to use a reverse pattern shifter on a standard pattern C6. Need the info before I go ahead and buy a shifter please.
torkair
torkair

Back to top Go down

Reverse pattern shifter on standard pattern trans? Empty Re: Reverse pattern shifter on standard pattern trans?

Post  DFI429 October 19th 2010, 9:49 pm

The ratchet shifters where you just click each gear won't matter either way. The gated shifters will - depending on which brand/model the pattern would be goofy using it opposite what it was intended for, but not impossible. My Pro Stick has changeable gate plates (cheap), and recently jbozzelle got one for his Quarter Stick (Hurst's equivalent to the Pro-Stick). As far as I know, the detents don't change between std/rev vb's, only the direction/sequence.

Are you planning on changing valvebodies later, or just have a screaming deal on a shifter? Question
DFI429
DFI429

http://home.comcast.net/~dfi429/

Back to top Go down

Reverse pattern shifter on standard pattern trans? Empty Re: Reverse pattern shifter on standard pattern trans?

Post  jbozzelle October 20th 2010, 10:02 am

Just depends on the shifter. Ratchet deals will work eithe rway. We just converted a Q-Stick II from a reverse TH350 to a fwd Glide pattern. No problems since the "low" of the TH350 is locked out and the Glide just ratchets between the low and high, or the 1 and 2 of the TH350... Hope that makes sense.

I ran a Quicksilver shofter on a fwd for years then switched it to a reverse and had no problems...

jbozzelle

Back to top Go down

Post  torkair October 20th 2010, 12:31 pm

DFI429 wrote:The ratchet shifters where you just click each gear won't matter either way. The gated shifters will - depending on which brand/model the pattern would be goofy using it opposite what it was intended for, but not impossible. My Pro Stick has changeable gate plates (cheap), and recently jbozzelle got one for his Quarter Stick (Hurst's equivalent to the Pro-Stick). As far as I know, the detents don't change between std/rev vb's, only the direction/sequence.

Are you planning on changing valvebodies later, or just have a screaming deal on a shifter? Question

Got a screaming deal on a hurst 1/4 stick, might go with a rev VB later on, but for now I just want to get my car driveable.
torkair
torkair

Back to top Go down

Post  jbozzelle October 20th 2010, 3:52 pm

Just depends on the 1-2-3 shift pattern. I think it should be 1-2 by just squeezing the handle and pushing the stick. The 2-3 should be by just pushing the stick. Then squeeze and push to go to neutral.

You can check the Hurst website and see if there any different gate plates for forward vs reverse setups.

jbozzelle

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down