BIG BLOCK FORD
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Are you guys bracing or adding cable to front of motor to frame?

+3
Treeyasoon
the Coug
Ed501
7 posters

Go down

Are you guys bracing or adding cable to front of motor to frame? Empty Are you guys bracing or adding cable to front of motor to frame?

Post  Ed501 August 12th 2010, 10:11 pm

I have a aftermarket k-member and the factory trans crossmember and beleive if i wheels up very high that i should help retain engine position and help it not to flex back toward firewall. If it goes really high up there thats alot stress on solid motor mounts. I could add an aluminum torque plate on sides of heads which would help also. This is a aluminum headed 501 but still heavy in my book. Thanks.., ED

Ed501

Back to top Go down

Are you guys bracing or adding cable to front of motor to frame? Empty Re: Are you guys bracing or adding cable to front of motor to frame?

Post  the Coug August 12th 2010, 10:16 pm

if you have solid engine mounts why worry?

Randy
the Coug
the Coug

Back to top Go down

Are you guys bracing or adding cable to front of motor to frame? Empty Re: Are you guys bracing or adding cable to front of motor to frame?

Post  Treeyasoon August 12th 2010, 10:27 pm

Overkill is not a bad thing in a race car but, I agree with Randy....The solid mounts should suffice except perhaps under extreme conditions...
Treeyasoon
Treeyasoon

Back to top Go down

Post  Ed501 August 13th 2010, 2:24 am

Okay, cool.,, Ihave seen a car like that and thought the tubular k and stands could use some support with tires up. I guess as long as drivshaft doesnt bottom out you should be okay. I am just trying to be sure i am ready to take it to track. These are torque monster for sure. Lets see some low 80 degrees and TRACK HERE I COME lol, Thanks...,ED

Ed501

Back to top Go down

Post  whatbumper August 13th 2010, 4:00 pm

I have seen lots of these cars come down hard and I have never seen one flex enough to cause any problems. the caster camber plates will bend first.

whatbumper

Back to top Go down

Post  richter69 August 13th 2010, 4:44 pm

just think of the strain the solid mounts put on the block.
richter69
richter69

Back to top Go down

Post  Ed501 August 13th 2010, 7:32 pm

I am plan on running some sort of torque strap to take some load off the block. Waiting to put on alt. then see what room i have on both sides. ED

Ed501

Back to top Go down

Post  D. Sea August 13th 2010, 11:53 pm

whatbumper wrote:I have seen lots of these cars come down hard and I have never seen one flex enough to cause any problems. the caster camber plates will bend first.

I can prove that Twisted Evil

If you feel the need, you can always install engine limiters and then go ahead and install some engine plates to do away with the solid mounts that ALWAYS seem to be in the way Idea
D. Sea
D. Sea

Back to top Go down

Post  BOSS 429 August 17th 2010, 12:35 am

D. Sea wrote:
whatbumper wrote:I have seen lots of these cars come down hard and I have never seen one flex enough to cause any problems. the caster camber plates will bend first.

If you feel the need, you can always install engine limiters and then go ahead and install some engine plates to do away with the solid mounts that ALWAYS seem to be in the way Idea

THATS WHY i make,use,and sell bb ford foxbody engine plates, not in the way,and you can bolt things to them,
BOSS 429
BOSS 429

Back to top Go down

Post  D. Sea August 17th 2010, 12:14 pm

BOSS 429 wrote:
D. Sea wrote:

THATS WHY i make,use,and sell bb ford foxbody engine plates, not in the way,and you can bolt things to them,

Yep, I agree Cool
D. Sea
D. Sea

Back to top Go down

Post  Ed501 August 17th 2010, 3:09 pm

I was mainly concerned with rear movement since the trans has a urethane, mount and the weak factory crossmember design. Didnt want flexng then the crack later developing on tubulat k. I guess i just a little leary of a tubular k, ITs a PA so it should be strong as any. Thanks..., ED

Ed501

Back to top Go down

Post  BOSS 429 August 17th 2010, 3:30 pm

dont worry about that stock crossmember, we ran mid 8's 160 mph plus 1.2 60s on one for years, carrying the hoops, nothing wrong, or weak about it

-RICH
BOSS 429
BOSS 429

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down