BIG BLOCK FORD
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Driveshaft incident

+8
maverick
bb429power
72mav
Frank Merkl
jasonf
bbf-falcon
dfree383
racnrick
12 posters

Go down

Driveshaft incident Empty Driveshaft incident

Post  racnrick August 11th 2010, 1:38 pm

Found this on another forum, does not sound good for her arm. It says it was a steel shaft, but by the silver - white color in the picture, it looks like it was possibly aluminum. But the end cap is either dirty aluminum or steel which then it would be a steel shaft. The first responder to the accident said this, I use an aluminum big piece drive shaft,” Demory explained. “If that was to break it would break in a million little pieces. but when Rick Brown's aluminum shaft broke it did not break into a million pieces. Aluminum or steel shaft, at this HP I think a driveshaft tunnel tube is needed.

http://www.competitionplus.com/index.php/drag-racing/news/15135-first-responder-to-nesbitt-car-i-had-no-idea-what-htranspired

racnrick

Back to top Go down

Driveshaft incident Empty Re: Driveshaft incident

Post  dfree383 August 11th 2010, 1:50 pm

Sounds like a pretty damn bad accident. Hope she recovers.
dfree383
dfree383
BBF CONTRIBUTOR
BBF CONTRIBUTOR

Back to top Go down

Post  bbf-falcon August 11th 2010, 5:53 pm

Like was said mine ripped and did'nt disintegrate into alot of pieces. IMO,I think aluminum could have done just as much damage as the steel did. Has anyone witnessed alum. exploding into lots of pieces?

Driveshaft incident IMG_1059

bbf-falcon

Back to top Go down

Post  jasonf August 11th 2010, 6:25 pm

bbf-falcon wrote:Like was said mine ripped and did'nt disintegrate into alot of pieces. IMO,I think aluminum could have done just as much damage as the steel did. Has anyone witnessed alum. exploding into lots of pieces?

Driveshaft incident IMG_1059

I don't understand why anyone would think it should break into pieces, it is not tempered glass. Try and rip a beer can in half and you get razar sharp shrapnel that would be whipping around inside your car at some godly rpm. Very scary if you ask me. I will definitely rethink my next cars drive shaft loops.
jasonf
jasonf
BBF CONTRIBUTOR
BBF CONTRIBUTOR

Back to top Go down

Post  Frank Merkl August 11th 2010, 6:57 pm

broke a driveshaft in my car years ago just as I reached up for the parachute lever and I got real lucky with no injuries , the first thing that got put in the car was a .100" thick steel full driveshaft enclosure !!
Frank
Frank Merkl
Frank Merkl

Back to top Go down

Post  72mav August 11th 2010, 7:08 pm

If you will remember at Norwalk Rick. Randy Malik mentioned this about the different aluminium tubing differences. Cant remember myself. Maybe he will chime in.
72mav
72mav

Back to top Go down

Post  bb429power August 11th 2010, 10:11 pm

I rember a guy with a CARBON FIBER driveshaft at Norwalk exploded, but I've never hear of an aluminum or steel on doing anything more than twist to hell and break off.

Shocked Damn, that's horrible.
bb429power
bb429power

Back to top Go down

Post  bbf-falcon August 12th 2010, 7:45 am

After seeing fragments of the CF shaft at Norwalk,I wouldn't want one either. When it let go it IMBEDDED little tiny fragments of itself in the starting line that took the track crew forever to getout of the pavement Rolling Eyes

bbf-falcon

Back to top Go down

Post  dfree383 August 12th 2010, 7:51 am

Her accident appears to have been on the top end, where Rick Yours was on the starting Line (lower speed on the drive shaft), I'm thinking the aluminum will shread easier than a steel one in the type of accident she had, it may not have been so bad with an aluminum one.

Carbon Fiber is weird I'm not sure how it would act, i'm thinking it would splinter.

IMO I'd rather have the steel drive shaft for strength. Maybe put a tube in rather than loops when the speeds and car starts getting real fast????
dfree383
dfree383
BBF CONTRIBUTOR
BBF CONTRIBUTOR

Back to top Go down

Post  bbf-falcon August 12th 2010, 7:56 am

Yea Dave ,I agree Smile

bbf-falcon

Back to top Go down

Post  maverick August 12th 2010, 9:18 am

My driveshaft incident happened when I twisted the the pinion shaft off the Strange gears at the starting line. With the engine on the rev limiter, the driveshaft spinning in the loop (somewhere near the middle of the shaft) probably looked like a water-wiggle until it tore itself in two and exited the car (I think that's how Rick's came out,)....tearing up an Ultraglide all the way to the planetaries. Shocked If you're not gonna use a driveshaft tube, I think placement of the loops is critical....like maybe 3 of them, one near each end and one in the middle. Might have saved myself a trans, too. Luckily, no injuries but the underside of the car caught hell.
maverick
maverick
BBF CONTRIBUTOR
BBF CONTRIBUTOR

Back to top Go down

Post  DILLIGASDAVE August 13th 2010, 7:43 am

Even with a driveshaft enclosure tube, you still want to use driveshaft loops as well.

Driveshaft incident Driveshaftenclosure2
DILLIGASDAVE
DILLIGASDAVE

Back to top Go down

Post  Doug Rahn August 13th 2010, 8:44 am

I hope the girl is okay! This subject came up once before on the old forum. Pro Mod driver had his driveshaft come through the floor and messed him up pretty bad. After that I decided to add a shield in my tunnel that is position right next to the driver. I made it from 4130 sheet, 1/8" thick with lightning holes to cut the weight down. With the Denny's Pro Mod Nitrous shaft, loops, and shield, I feel pretty good. You can't never be too safe. Here's an early photo during the build process.

Driveshaft incident 228081_188_full
Doug Rahn
Doug Rahn
BBF CONTRIBUTOR
BBF CONTRIBUTOR

http://www.cardomain.com/ride/228081

Back to top Go down

Post  bruno August 13th 2010, 9:27 am

damn .... thats nice Doug

www.OakleyMotorsports.com
www.Induction-Solutions.com
www.bfevansraceparts.com
www.ultimateconverter.com
www.keithfulpmotorsports.com
bruno
bruno

http://WWW.CKRME.COM

Back to top Go down

Post  ThndrChkn August 13th 2010, 10:44 am

Man that's a horrible thing to have to go through. I like my truck for this reason. When I'm in the seat, about 98% of the driveshaft is behind me, it would have to shred the back of my cab and the stock floor before it got up to where I'm sitting. Not that it can't happen, but I do feel a little safer in this particular situation. Doug Rahn is 100% correct, you can't EVER be too safe.

Thoughts and prayers for the girl and her family.

Doug... Cool
ThndrChkn
ThndrChkn

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum