BIG BLOCK FORD
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Differences in types of engine bearings - what's the scoop?

4 posters

Go down

Differences in types of engine bearings - what's the scoop? Empty Differences in types of engine bearings - what's the scoop?

Post  BigBlockRanger July 22nd 2010, 9:19 am

So I've been looking around the net at the differences between tri-metal and aluminum bearings (bi-metal?) and honestly have read mixed opinions on the subject. (Surprised?)

I have a set of FM 7075M bearings and was unable to find any specs on them. Randy M. informed me they are aluminum bearings (which I assume is the same thing as a bi-metal). Some opinions were that they were good for rebuilds looking for longevity and not so great for performance. Others claimed they were fine in performance applications and referenced high hp boosted Ford mod-motors as examples.

I know that all engines and in particular their oiling systems are not created equal, so what's the scoop as far as a BBF goes?

BigBlockRanger
BigBlockRanger

Back to top Go down

Differences in types of engine bearings - what's the scoop? Empty Re: Differences in types of engine bearings - what's the scoop?

Post  rmcomprandy July 22nd 2010, 10:11 am

To answer this sufficiently would take an entire book ... OR MORE.

There are different grades of bearing aluminum alloyed with almost every metal known to man just as there are different grades of copper, lead/babbit and the load carrying and temperature capabilities of each individual recipe are almost endless.

rmcomprandy

http://www.rmcompetition.com

Back to top Go down

Differences in types of engine bearings - what's the scoop? Empty Re: Differences in types of engine bearings - what's the scoop?

Post  dfree383 July 22nd 2010, 10:14 am

And then Lubricants, Clearances and Coatings come into play..... Laughing
dfree383
dfree383
BBF CONTRIBUTOR
BBF CONTRIBUTOR

Back to top Go down

Post  IDT-572 July 22nd 2010, 11:41 am

I have ran every brand and have had good success with all of them. And sometimes with three brands in the same engine to get the clearence where it needed to be. The later is probably the most important.

JMHO
IDT-572
IDT-572
BBF CONTRIBUTOR
BBF CONTRIBUTOR

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down