BIG BLOCK FORD
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

My day at the dyno - (little long)

+4
jasonf
feetfirst
ThndrChkn
valleydawg
8 posters

Go down

My day at the dyno - (little long)  Empty My day at the dyno - (little long)

Post  valleydawg June 29th 2010, 6:47 am

Two hour drive to the dyno was uneventful. We unloaded the engine and got it on the stand and ran into the first issue of the day…

1. Dang (dyno) headers hit the oil filter. It does on my 514 and that is why I have a remote filter. I don’t know why I didn’t have it on the new engine plate but we beat it in a little so it would work. Oh yea he had some header gaskets that were trick. They say carbon XX or something like that and he said they worked great on nitrous, turbo, blower cars. Percy’s 68025. I am ordering me some today.

2. First pull and the engine ran like crap. Around 700 hp and the thing will not idle. I was about to throw up…I had to laugh and say that is a very, very expensive 700 hp engine! After checking everything I called Patrick at Pro Systems. He called me right back (on Saturday!) I told him what I had and he made a jet recommendation. Thanks Patrick but that was not the problem! Next issue.

3. I wanted to make a timing change also but didn’t have any more room to move the pick up so we removed the trigger wheel on the balancer and Darrell (dyno dude) said hey you have this on backward. Backward??? I have always put the arrow to the front but I needed this one machined a little to fit right so I just installed the way my friend had it machined. I didn’t even know there was a backward…heck the pickups are on both sides!!! Reinstalled and it was smooth as silk! Can’t imagine how long that would have taken me to find at the track.

4. I started out at 26 degrees of timing and ended up moving it 6 degrees (baby steps). Compression checks were lower than I expected and I wonder if I really do have 14/1? The engine loved 32 degrees of timing. Timing really is like crack for an engine isn’t it…give me…give me…give me.

5. Let me say that the SV-1 carb is sweet. Engine had quick throttle response and we had it idling down around 750-800…750 can you believe that! Ran it around 950 for the day.

6. Darrell felt he could get about 15 more hp out of the motor if he played with it more but I elected to finish early without any scars. Yes these numbers were corrected hp also. All and all a good, fun day…especially for a novelist engine builder like me!
valleydawg
valleydawg

Back to top Go down

My day at the dyno - (little long)  Empty Re: My day at the dyno - (little long)

Post  ThndrChkn June 29th 2010, 8:45 am

That's good your problems were small, and also shows how much attention to detail can be overlooked even by the smallest of margins. Wink Glad you're happy with the combo.

Doug... Cool
ThndrChkn
ThndrChkn

Back to top Go down

My day at the dyno - (little long)  Empty Re: My day at the dyno - (little long)

Post  feetfirst June 29th 2010, 10:15 am

Very nice!!

Can you explain the trigger wheel issue? Im wondering if I have the same problem?
feetfirst
feetfirst

Back to top Go down

Post  jasonf June 29th 2010, 10:44 am

So what did you end up with? I didn't see any numbers past the 700.
jasonf
jasonf
BBF CONTRIBUTOR
BBF CONTRIBUTOR

Back to top Go down

Post  bbf-falcon June 29th 2010, 11:23 am

When I was installing mine ,I read that about the arrow and luckily I had mine on the right way.

bbf-falcon

Back to top Go down

Post  PROSTREET66 June 29th 2010, 11:24 am

Cograts on those impresive numbers!!!!When we dynoed my motor with Jet Boat Bob,I learned so much that day. Glad to see you fixed your problems.Good luck on your new motor.
PROSTREET66
PROSTREET66

Back to top Go down

Post  valleydawg June 29th 2010, 2:24 pm

Feetfirst - sent you a private message. Hope you can understand it.
jasonf - 1000 on motor

I just had a friend e-mail me and said he read my post and I was more of a parts changer kind of dude than a novelist engine builder…oh well …guess he is right!
valleydawg
valleydawg

Back to top Go down

Post  feetfirst June 29th 2010, 2:38 pm

valleydawg wrote:Feetfirst - sent you a private message. Hope you can understand it.
jasonf - 1000 on motor

I just had a friend e-mail me and said he read my post and I was more of a parts changer kind of dude than a novelist engine builder…oh well …guess he is right!

Thanks. I understand the wheel was on backwards, but why would this matter?
Is it a polarity issue?

Thanks.

feetfirst
feetfirst

Back to top Go down

Post  Curt June 29th 2010, 3:20 pm

I used to run mine backwards because it would give me more timing adjustment. This was on a MSD wheel. The magnets dont know front from back.
Curt
Curt

Back to top Go down

Post  valleydawg June 29th 2010, 4:12 pm

I did not think it mattered either but it did.
I also asked Roger (Kaase) and he said it needed to go one way (with the arrow).
I am now backed to confused after hearing the last two post.
valleydawg
valleydawg

Back to top Go down

Post  DFI429 June 29th 2010, 4:23 pm

feetfirst wrote:Thanks. I understand the wheel was on backwards, but why would this matter?
Is it a polarity issue?

Thanks.

valleydawg wrote:3. I wanted to make a timing change also but didn’t have any more room to move the pick up so we removed the trigger wheel on the balancer and Darrell (dyno dude) said hey you have this on backward. Backward??? I have always put the arrow to the front but I needed this one machined a little to fit right so I just installed the way my friend had it machined. I didn’t even know there was a backward…heck the pickups are on both sides!!! Reinstalled and it was smooth as silk! Can’t imagine how long that would have taken me to find at the track.

Sounds like a clocking issue between the bolt holes going into the balancer and the location of the magnets. They were simply offset the wrong direction to get the timing you wanted. Kinda like exhaust manifolds & switching sides - that works, but you can't flip them over Wink
DFI429
DFI429

http://home.comcast.net/~dfi429/

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down