BIG BLOCK FORD
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

C6 Low Ratio Gear Set

+6
bluef100fe
longroofracer
512Fairlane
richter69
Lem Evans
Tore
10 posters

Go down

C6 Low Ratio Gear Set Empty C6 Low Ratio Gear Set

Post  Tore June 26th 2010, 1:27 pm

Does a low ratio gear set for a C-6 help or hinder your times? I put the tranny from my Torino that weighed 4000 pds into my Falcon that weighs 3150. IN the Torino I wasnt running a brake and now in the Falcon I am.

Thanks Tore
Tore
Tore

Back to top Go down

C6 Low Ratio Gear Set Empty Re: C6 Low Ratio Gear Set

Post  Lem Evans June 26th 2010, 1:31 pm

Considering that the 1.8/1 glide deal works good I'd have to say that something lower than a std C6 would be going the wrong way i.m.o.

Lem Evans

http://bfevansraceparts.com

Back to top Go down

Post  richter69 June 26th 2010, 1:38 pm

Those low gearset deals work great in tow rigs, not so much in a drag car......if it does then your converter is way too tight for the application.
richter69
richter69

Back to top Go down

Post  512Fairlane June 26th 2010, 2:20 pm

I have one in mine that I installed with the old 460. It helped 60 ft times some but overall ET didn't change that much. I think with the 512 its really not necessary even with my 3500 lb car. My kit came with the rollerized bearings and all that so there may have been some improvements there. Someday I may switch back to the stock ratio to see what happens.
512Fairlane
512Fairlane

Back to top Go down

Post  Tore June 26th 2010, 9:55 pm

Thanks Guys
Tore
Tore

Back to top Go down

Post  longroofracer June 28th 2010, 1:04 am

richter69 wrote:Those low gearset deals work great in tow rigs, not so much in a drag car......if it does then your converter is way too tight for the application.

Would it be a safe bet that if a heavier car is somewhat underpowered, the lower gearset might help with getting the mass moving? I think once you get to a certain point where you are making a bit more power, the low gearset would start being a hinderance, but I could be wrong.
longroofracer
longroofracer

Back to top Go down

Post  bluef100fe June 29th 2010, 9:51 am

longroofracer wrote:
richter69 wrote:Those low gearset deals work great in tow rigs, not so much in a drag car......if it does then your converter is way too tight for the application.

Would it be a safe bet that if a heavier car is somewhat underpowered, the lower gearset might help with getting the mass moving? I think once you get to a certain point where you are making a bit more power, the low gearset would start being a hinderance, but I could be wrong.

I would have to agree with most of the above. With my heavy truck 3900 lbs and small motor. I.E. not much torque... I believe the low gear set helps get the mass moving. Since my junk is still driven on the street a lot and tows a tractor or pulling truck from time to time, I tend to deal with a little tighter converter and lower first gear. All comes down to what your intentions are for the vehicle. In my case, I like to be able to do anything and everything with my truck.

I believe there is a point when your engine combo starts making too much torque for the chassis, suspension, tires, tranny, and track, to work efficiently, one of the easiets changes is to take some gear/final drive ratio away. Whether it be in the tranny, rearend, or tires. IMO.
bluef100fe
bluef100fe

Back to top Go down

Post  richter69 June 29th 2010, 10:26 am

My car struggled to get onto 5's with the 3 speed, once I went glide the same combo went 5.80's instantly. Since i went injection the same combo will go low 60's in good air and run low 70's in the worst of air and track conditions.

All of the improvements are with the same engine thats been in the car for three years, timing still where i set it when i pit it together on the stand, only had the valve covers off
for lash checks, manifold been off once for a swap.

There is a lot to be said for getting the trans, converter, and gearng right.
richter69
richter69

Back to top Go down

Post  DILLIGASDAVE July 1st 2010, 8:32 pm

So for a street/tow vehicle how does a C-6 with a low gear set and a somewhat "lazy" rear gear compare to using an OD trans and a steeper rear gear?
DILLIGASDAVE
DILLIGASDAVE

Back to top Go down

Post  johndickjr July 3rd 2010, 3:29 pm

richter69 wrote:My car struggled to get onto 5's with the 3 speed, once I went glide the same combo went 5.80's instantly. Since i went injection the same combo will go low 60's in good air and run low 70's in the worst of air and track conditions.

All of the improvements are with the same engine thats been in the car for three years, timing still where i set it when i pit it together on the stand, only had the valve covers off
for lash checks, manifold been off once for a swap.

There is a lot to be said for getting the trans, converter, and gearng right.
is that cause the gears in the PG or cause the PG is a lot lighter and overall less rating mass compared to a c6, have you ever tried a good c4 in your car?

johndickjr

Back to top Go down

Post  richter69 July 3rd 2010, 3:35 pm

Never ran a c6, full tilt roller c4...............the glide with all the shields is 5#s heavier.

Glide robs less power.......main deal is getting away from that low gear.....not only for tirespin but for the leverage. Gear the car right and let the converter do the work.

Ever drive a truck with a compound or granny gear? can tach it out and be goin' 2 mph.
richter69
richter69

Back to top Go down

Post  bbf-falcon July 4th 2010, 7:58 am

Tore,IMO the Low gear isn't a good thing in your light car.

bbf-falcon

Back to top Go down

Post  Greg_P July 20th 2010, 1:10 pm

Tore,

After running the E4OD gearset for years in my (now your) C6, I discovered that the more power we made the less helpful it was. Around 500 HP, it was cool. Now that we're around 850-900 or so on the spray, that was not working very well.

So, over the winter, I worked with Broader Performance and we put a C6 gearset in my E4OD. The car hasn't been to the track enough to see if there was a difference, but the thinking was the taller 1-2 gears with a better converter would work for us.......that seems to be the case.

Good luck,

Greg

Greg_P
Greg_P

Back to top Go down

Post  Tore July 20th 2010, 2:25 pm

Gald to see your still breathing Greg. I was wondering about you.

Tore

Greg_P wrote:Tore,

After running the E4OD gearset for years in my (now your) C6, I discovered that the more power we made the less helpful it was. Around 500 HP, it was cool. Now that we're around 850-900 or so on the spray, that was not working very well.

So, over the winter, I worked with Broader Performance and we put a C6 gearset in my E4OD. The car hasn't been to the track enough to see if there was a difference, but the thinking was the taller 1-2 gears with a better converter would work for us.......that seems to be the case.

Good luck,

Greg

Tore
Tore

Back to top Go down

Post  Greg_P July 20th 2010, 5:09 pm

Thanks, bud, I'm doing OK.....

Greg
Greg_P
Greg_P

Back to top Go down