BIG BLOCK FORD
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

double frame rail

+2
the Coug
whatbumper
6 posters

Go down

double frame rail Empty double frame rail

Post  whatbumper June 6th 2010, 4:12 pm

I know I may sound ignorant with this question but what is a double frame rail car?

whatbumper

Back to top Go down

double frame rail Empty Re: double frame rail

Post  the Coug June 6th 2010, 6:22 pm

they have an upper and lower frame rails that go down beside the trans suppose to make the car more ridgid....

Randy
the Coug
the Coug

Back to top Go down

Post  DILLIGASDAVE June 6th 2010, 7:02 pm

the Coug wrote:they have an upper and lower frame rails that go down beside the trans suppose to make the car more ridgid....
Yea, it's amazing how much more rigid a tube chassis (& upper 4-link bracket area) becomes when adding either a simple double or a full double frame rail to it.

A "simple" double frame rail is 2 diagonal bars that attache to the "lower horizontal cage support" bar (SFI bar #15) at/around the top of the 4-link brackets. It then runs diagonally down & attaches to the main frame rail somewhere at/around the trans crossmember to mid plate area. It forms a very large load carring triangle.

A "full" double frame rail is 2 main upper bars that tie the top of the 4-link bracket area (on bar #15) directly to the mid/upper area of the mid plate support tree bars. Then a number of secondary upright & diagonal bars tie the 2 main upper bars to the main frame rails. The finished "full" double frame rail looks like a funny car chassis sitting inside a door car chassis. A full double frame rail might stop at the mid plate tree, or it might continue forward to the front of the car.

A full chassis car with tri-pod mounted struts must have the full double frame rail assembly running 4-link to the front because there is no bars running from the struts to the windshield bars.
DILLIGASDAVE
DILLIGASDAVE

Back to top Go down

Post  whatbumper June 6th 2010, 10:35 pm

Okay. A class that we are entering in a few weeks said no double frame rails and we were thinking it had more to do with the rear. we were trying to guess who was going to show up and run. I know we can't win but I think we can qualify and it pays pretty big.

whatbumper

Back to top Go down

Post  '65 T-BOLT June 6th 2010, 11:21 pm

good luck on the up coming race, bumper!
'65 T-BOLT
'65 T-BOLT

Back to top Go down

Post  billandlori June 7th 2010, 4:36 am

whatbumper wrote:Okay. A class that we are entering in a few weeks said no double frame rails and we were thinking it had more to do with the rear. we were trying to guess who was going to show up and run. I know we can't win but I think we can qualify and it pays pretty big.

All you gotta do is get in the race, then anything can happen!! Stuff breaks, guys red light etc...

Good luck!!

Bill
billandlori
billandlori

Back to top Go down

Post  whatbumper June 7th 2010, 2:23 pm

we will be the only car not on 31x10.5W's. we are guessing it will take a 4.70 to win but like you guys keep saying who knows. Very Happy

whatbumper

Back to top Go down

Post  jones June 7th 2010, 5:51 pm

I wonder who they are eliminating? Outlaw Pro-mods?

jones

Back to top Go down

Post  whatbumper June 7th 2010, 8:32 pm

jones wrote:I wonder who they are eliminating? Outlaw Pro-mods?

I called today. they don't want pro-mods to put 10.5w's on and show. it doesn't pay that well but I guess if they thought it was a guaranteed win they would show. the rules are based on the Texas King of the Hill rules but it is not a KOTH race. http://www.texaskingofthehill.net/html/rules.html

whatbumper

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down