BIG BLOCK FORD
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

High compression and turbo ?'s

3 posters

Go down

High compression and turbo ?'s Empty High compression and turbo ?'s

Post  Tennessee Bullitt May 22nd 2010, 8:48 pm

Hey guys, I was wanting to see what experience you know of running 8 - 10 psi max on compression ratios above 13:1 compression. Whats the kicker for a turbo vs running a good shot of N2O? It seem like the turbo might be easier vs the nitrous hits?
Tennessee Bullitt
Tennessee Bullitt

Back to top Go down

High compression and turbo ?'s Empty Re: High compression and turbo ?'s

Post  Northwest outlaw May 23rd 2010, 2:15 am

street/strip or just race motor?
Northwest outlaw
Northwest outlaw

Back to top Go down

Post  Tennessee Bullitt May 23rd 2010, 10:01 am

Street/Strip, Take my motor for example, 13.37:1 on the compression to be exact. Running only 110, 112, 114 or more race gas. If you had 2 of them that were twins of each other, one had 150 shot of N2O and the other was running 6-8 psi on a 72 to a 76 mm turbo. Whats the difference?
Tennessee Bullitt
Tennessee Bullitt

Back to top Go down

Post  96Mustang460cid May 24th 2010, 8:46 am

Tennessee Bullitt wrote:Street/Strip, Take my motor for example, 13.37:1 on the compression to be exact. Running only 110, 112, 114 or more race gas. If you had 2 of them that were twins of each other, one had 150 shot of N2O and the other was running 6-8 psi on a 72 to a 76 mm turbo. Whats the difference?

A 150 hp shot of nitrous vs adding a turbo to an aggressive street/strip engine is not an apples to apples comparison. I don't know your build, but adding a turbo to an aggressive (13+:1 cr) street/strip BBF will result in a much larger gain. Also, a BBF will need a lot more than a single 72 - 76 [mm] turbo. Finally, cost between the two is substantially different.

Have a good day!
Michael
96Mustang460cid
96Mustang460cid

Back to top Go down

Post  Northwest outlaw May 24th 2010, 10:52 am

x2 on the single. With the CR so high i would go the NOS road. But if you were in the ball park of 10.1/11.1 i would say e85 and turbos and hold on for the ride.I hope this help with your ?. If not ill see if i can help out more .
Northwest outlaw
Northwest outlaw

Back to top Go down

Post  Tennessee Bullitt May 24th 2010, 11:27 am

Thanks for the info. It was just a wild thought I had. For me I have the idea that later when I get some money for a good after market block I might drop the compression and add a procharger or possibly a turbo. I think with a procharger might be less hassle that trying to fab a turbo up with a non tubed front end. Nothing real crazy but something I can get the big HP #'s and still be more tamed for street driving that a turbo. A F1c or a F2 because I know I won't be lacking to much TQ vs running a 4.6 mod motor with one. I had a F1A and that thing laged bad but at 4,000rpm's it hit like a rocket. I had thought of the roots but it would be to much it seems for what I want. I don't know we will see. Atleast all I need now is the block and new pistons if I go that route.
Tennessee Bullitt
Tennessee Bullitt

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down