BIG BLOCK FORD
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Thinking about another complete engine build. (over time)

+3
windsor
richter69
jones
7 posters

Go down

Thinking about another complete engine build. (over time) Empty Thinking about another complete engine build. (over time)

Post  jones April 7th 2010, 10:16 pm

This will be an engine that will be built using all the good stuff While I am running this current engine setup and getting the suspension setup.

Block will be aftermarket
Really stuck on BME rods
Forged crankshaft with all the tricks
Diamond or CP pistons
By then my cylinder heads should be ready for giant valves
Then a large Procharger

My question is who do you decide bore, stroke, rod main journal diameter?
I would like it setup for external wetsump

What parts do i start collecting first? My first guess would be Block??

Alky, race gas or pump gas?

jones

Back to top Go down

Thinking about another complete engine build. (over time) Empty Re: Thinking about another complete engine build. (over time)

Post  richter69 April 7th 2010, 10:26 pm

I've been tossing the procharger deal around myself, Duffy just about has me talked into it.

I'd get the big dollar items first, block etc.
richter69
richter69

Back to top Go down

Thinking about another complete engine build. (over time) Empty Re: Thinking about another complete engine build. (over time)

Post  jones April 7th 2010, 10:47 pm

Wouldn't the idea be is to tell adney I want Bme rods, forged crankshaf and pistons? Then he can be in control of the balancing and tolerances? I don't see how collecting rods, pistons and crankshaft under my bed if I have to send these parts too him?

jones

Back to top Go down

Post  richter69 April 7th 2010, 10:53 pm

I agree, it just seems guys over time change their combos some..............but the parts that it wont matter what you do.

Wish to hell when I bought my pistons I knew I was going to get an A460 block.................would have cost no different for a size difference.
richter69
richter69

Back to top Go down

Post  jones April 7th 2010, 11:06 pm

Ya I figure the block should be the very first purchase. Then try to figure out the crank and rods.

jones

Back to top Go down

Post  windsor April 8th 2010, 5:33 am

I have my Premier block and don't plan on building it until maybe a couple years down the road (hopefully sooner), but at least I have it. I figure pistons will be about the last purchase I make before actually having the motor built.
windsor
windsor

Back to top Go down

Post  dfree383 April 8th 2010, 5:51 am

Finish what you have going already first.

They get a block, crank, balancer, Danny bee..... Etc.

I'd stick with steel rods.....

Then figure N/a or ???
dfree383
dfree383
BBF CONTRIBUTOR
BBF CONTRIBUTOR

Back to top Go down

Post  jones April 8th 2010, 8:32 am

Of course I plan on finishing what I have now. I hope by planing another "better" build it will only help me finish what I have now. Instead of trying to upgrade an engine that I already have.
I have been thinking about putting my first engine back togather and using it as a back-up engine. I think it would run pretty good for what it was.

Danny B??? I was going to go Pro-comp for the two mild engines and Danny B for the next one!

jones

Back to top Go down

Post  dfree383 April 8th 2010, 9:44 am

I wouldn't spend the money on a belt drive for your current engine, a chain will get you in the game.

What I'm trying to tell you is once you have your current motor in the truck and running, buy the big upgrade (Block, Crank, Etc.) parts as you get the money, that way if something goes amuck you have the parts to put it back together, improve it and allow it to evolve as you get the funds and keep it going.
dfree383
dfree383
BBF CONTRIBUTOR
BBF CONTRIBUTOR

Back to top Go down

Post  jbozzelle April 11th 2010, 12:44 pm

Like Dave said. Finish what you got first. I wish I would've stuck my 357 combo in my ride and raced it. At least I could've been racing for the last 4 years and not pulling my pud!

I would save the cash for the rotating assembly and just buy it from Adney so he can do it all in one shot. No sense in buying and shipping stuff around 3 or so times. Buy the block from Lem, get the rotating assy shipped to him so they can assemble the shortblock... Pick it up at the 2012 Bash!

jbozzelle

Back to top Go down

Post  longroofracer April 11th 2010, 3:27 pm

dfree383 wrote:I wouldn't spend the money on a belt drive for your current engine, a chain will get you in the game.

What I'm trying to tell you is once you have your current motor in the truck and running, buy the big upgrade (Block, Crank, Etc.) parts as you get the money, that way if something goes amuck you have the parts to put it back together, improve it and allow it to evolve as you get the funds and keep it going.

Agreed. Get one together and some seat time... sort out some chassis issues and then build a new engine. You will likely be more motivated racing a plain-jane engine and upgrading than spending a boatload of money only to sit on the shop floor hoping it all fits together and finding out 3 years later it is antique/old school compared to what you could have.

Or... let me know before everyone else next time you have a bunch of fresh parts like those heads you gave away...lol. In reality, the money difference on those was probably a good chunk of a Danny Bee setup.
Just a thought.
longroofracer
longroofracer

Back to top Go down

Post  jones April 12th 2010, 2:37 pm

longroofracer wrote:
dfree383 wrote:I wouldn't spend the money on a belt drive for your current engine, a chain will get you in the game.

Agreed. Get one together and some seat time... sort out some chassis issues and then build a new engine. You will likely be more motivated racing a plain-jane engine and upgrading than spending a boatload of money only to sit on the shop floor hoping it all fits together and finding out 3 years later it is antique/old school compared to what you could have.

Or... let me know before everyone else next time you have a bunch of fresh parts like those heads you gave away...lol. In reality, the money difference on those was probably a good chunk of a Danny Bee setup.
Just a thought.

They was posted up for atleast a day! I can't believe no one bought the entire engine, I had it priced super cheap. For a race truck that is going to be driven on the street I perfer a chain instead of the open belt drive. Belt drives are just so cool though!

jones

Back to top Go down

Post  67460 April 14th 2010, 12:11 am

Got a wish list too! Very Happy Very Happy

Back to top Go down

Post  longroofracer April 14th 2010, 2:28 am

jones wrote: They was posted up for atleast a day! I can't believe no one bought the entire engine, I had it priced super cheap. For a race truck that is going to be driven on the street I perfer a chain instead of the open belt drive. Belt drives are just so cool though!

Yes, and I waffled about how much I really would like to have them just about 4 hours too long... someone got a smoking deal. It is just as well, I didn't really need them, I just realized a bargain when I saw them.
longroofracer
longroofracer

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum