BIG BLOCK FORD
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

New Ultimate Converter Concepts Converter Test Results-Updated

+5
windsor
cool40
richter69
jcoxracing
512Fairlane
9 posters

Go down

New Ultimate Converter Concepts Converter Test Results-Updated Empty New Ultimate Converter Concepts Converter Test Results-Updated

Post  512Fairlane April 7th 2010, 10:14 pm

Installed my new converter from UCC last weekend and went to Gateway Tue. night. The only change I made was the converter and some servo mods to try and cure the 2-3 shift flare I've always had. The first pass off the trailer was a 10.305 at 131.61 mph, 1.455 60 ft. I had gone as fast as a 10.32 at 129.8 with a 1.43 60 ft. The second pass I tried to stall it higher and it pushed me right thru the lights so the run was pretty much aborted. I fixed my 2-3 flare with suggestions from Frank Merkel but now I have a terrible 1-2 flare. It was bouncing off the rev limiter hard. I think if I can get that fixed it should go in the 10.20's pretty easy. I hope my band adjustment is off. Going to check that tonight. 2-3 Shift is awesome. Converter is tighter down low than I was expecting but it definitely slips less on the big end. I really can't hold it with the footbrake past around 2700 RPM. I was hoping for a little higher. Probably should step up to a transbrake but I just like footbraking.

Last edited by 512Fairlane on April 18th 2010, 12:30 am; edited 1 time in total
512Fairlane
512Fairlane

Back to top Go down

New Ultimate Converter Concepts Converter Test Results-Updated Empty Re: New Ultimate Converter Concepts Converter Test Results-Updated

Post  jcoxracing April 7th 2010, 10:35 pm

Don't worry, your not the only one having transmission problems down at gateway. You'll get it figured out. I was the one with the blue 67 mustang that got the boot for spraying the track twice with fluid. I am going to get a converter from UCC and hopefully be at the next outlaw race.
Do you think you will be racing the outlaw series this year? if so what index?
Justin
jcoxracing
jcoxracing

Back to top Go down

New Ultimate Converter Concepts Converter Test Results-Updated Empty I was hoping for the 10.00 Index

Post  512Fairlane April 7th 2010, 10:45 pm

I was hoping to run in the 10.00 index because slowing down to 11.0 sucks. This converter was supposed to be a step in the right direction but it didn't pick up as much as I was hoping. I'm not giving up yet though I think I'll just have to tune this new combo. If I can get rid of this flare it should help a lot but I don't think I'll get to 10.00's. I may have to get the cutting torch out and take some weight out of this turd. I was going to stop by and talk to you again after you made some runs the other week but after we got done tuning on my buddy's dragster I think you had already left. Did you have problems with the C-4?
512Fairlane
512Fairlane

Back to top Go down

New Ultimate Converter Concepts Converter Test Results-Updated Empty Re: New Ultimate Converter Concepts Converter Test Results-Updated

Post  richter69 April 7th 2010, 10:48 pm

I think your on the right track, whats the trap rpm etc compared to before?

I hate to sound like a broken record, but is methanol a consideration?
richter69
richter69

Back to top Go down

Post  cool40 April 7th 2010, 10:59 pm

you dont like methanol do you Laughing that would probly get to 10.0's
cool40
cool40
BBF CONTRIBUTOR
BBF CONTRIBUTOR

Back to top Go down

Post  512Fairlane April 7th 2010, 11:06 pm

My shift light is set a 6600 and I don't think it was coming on in the traps. I really only got the one good pass because I screwed up my third run also. It's been a long winter and I was definitely a rusty driver last night. With the old converter the light would come on right at the finish line. I used to have the 3rd gear flare but now 3rd gear is great. It actually felt like it was pulling harder when it shifted. Second gear is definitely not right. I had loosened the band because on the jack stands the rear tires were actually stopping when I shifted to high for a split second. Going down the track it shifts great into third. I think maybe I just need to tighten the band back up. I need to get an inch-lb. torque wrench so I can get it set right. I really don't want to upgrade to methanol yet. I spent too much money on it this spring already and it would require a new pump, probably bigger lines, etc. Needed new rubber all the way around and the converter so I spent my allowance this year. Going to have to find cheap power from here on out. I can tell the new converter is flashing higher I just need to find the right leave rpm. The mph increase tells me its more efficient.
512Fairlane
512Fairlane

Back to top Go down

Post  windsor April 8th 2010, 2:15 am

sounds like you did good for having shifting problems!

you picked up almost 2 mph...it sounds like it's putting more of that power to the ground now cheers You'll get it figured out.
windsor
windsor

Back to top Go down

Post  ultimatelenny April 8th 2010, 8:20 am

Not too bad for the first time out. Give me a call after you get your trans problem solved and get back out to get some tuning and seat time. When you get some definative data we can then determine if we need to tweak the converter to maximize your set up. Keep me posted with your progress.
ultimatelenny
ultimatelenny

http://www.ultimateconverter.com

Back to top Go down

Post  D. Sea April 8th 2010, 4:49 pm

Do you have the weather data from the previous runs and your current passes? This will tell us a LOT.
D. Sea
D. Sea

Back to top Go down

Post  jcoxracing April 8th 2010, 9:36 pm

I am pretty sure I saw your buddy make an 8 second pass. That's pretty impressive.

Yeah I was having transmission problems. I believe my converter finally let go. Also my transmission speedometer plug fell out of the tail shaft. So both times I launched fluid was being sprayed on the drive shaft then all over the rear tires all the way down the track. I am thankful I didn't get hurt.
Justin
jcoxracing
jcoxracing

Back to top Go down

Post  512Fairlane April 8th 2010, 10:20 pm

ultimatelenny wrote:Not too bad for the first time out. Give me a call after you get your trans problem solved and get back out to get some tuning and seat time. When you get some definative data we can then determine if we need to tweak the converter to maximize your set up. Keep me posted with your progress.

Thanks Lenny. I'm pretty satisfied so far. When I get this 2nd gear problem figured out I shoud be able to give it a fair test.
512Fairlane
512Fairlane

Back to top Go down

Post  512Fairlane April 8th 2010, 10:21 pm

D. Sea wrote:Do you have the weather data from the previous runs and your current passes? This will tell us a LOT.

Damon,

I didn't get any weather data the other night but I have it for all of my old passes. When I get some good runs in I'll make sure I record everything.
512Fairlane
512Fairlane

Back to top Go down

Post  512Fairlane April 8th 2010, 10:25 pm

jcoxracing wrote:I am pretty sure I saw your buddy make an 8 second pass. That's pretty impressive.

Yeah I was having transmission problems. I believe my converter finally let go. Also my transmission speedometer plug fell out of the tail shaft. So both times I launched fluid was being sprayed on the drive shaft then all over the rear tires all the way down the track. I am thankful I didn't get hurt.
Justin

Last week he ran an 8.10 at 164 which is pretty good for a stock stroke 351 Cleveland with factory iron heads. He's fighting some traction issues so I'm sure he'll eventually get this combo in the 7's. I had that same problem with the speedo plug happen to mine a few years ago. I put a new plug in it and used the tapped hole next to it to bolt it in with a big flat washer. Glad you kept it off the wall. That is a nice car.
512Fairlane
512Fairlane

Back to top Go down

Post  Maddmattmustangs April 16th 2010, 11:06 am

512Fairlane wrote:
jcoxracing wrote:I am pretty sure I saw your buddy make an 8 second pass. That's pretty impressive.

Justin

Last week he ran an 8.10 at 164 which is pretty good for a stock stroke 351 Cleveland with factory iron heads. He's fighting some traction issues so I'm sure he'll eventually get this combo in the 7's.

what car was this in??? thats haulin for a cleveland!
Maddmattmustangs
Maddmattmustangs

Back to top Go down

Post  512Fairlane April 18th 2010, 12:31 am

Maddmattmustangs wrote:
512Fairlane wrote:

Justin

Last week he ran an 8.10 at 164 which is pretty good for a stock stroke 351 Cleveland with factory iron heads. He's fighting some traction issues so I'm sure he'll eventually get this combo in the 7's.

what car was this in??? thats haulin for a cleveland!

Nostalgia front engine dragster. Very light.
512Fairlane
512Fairlane

Back to top Go down

New Ultimate Converter Concepts Converter Test Results-Updated Empty More runs today.

Post  512Fairlane April 18th 2010, 12:44 am

Went to Gateway today. Only changes were to tighten up the int. band from 2 1/4 to 1 1/2 turns. 1st run 1.428 60 ft, 4.179 330 ft, 6.501 1/8 mile at 105.11 mph, 8.527 1000 ft, 10.251 1/4 at 130.04 mph. There was a strong headwind and everyone was saying their mph was down. Still flared against the rev limiter in 2nd gear so I tightened the band to 1 1/8 turns out. 2nd pass-1.443, 4.182, 6.502 @ 105.08, 8.529, 10.253 @ 130.02. Still flared a little but didn't get on the rev limiter. 1st round dialed a 10.24 went 1.443, 4.170, 6.480 @ 105.69, 8.497, 10.212 @ 130.75. I think the wind had let up a little. Shifted really well into 2nd that run also. We both redlit but he went first so I got into the second round. In the second round the motor started popping and sounding horrible so I got out of it. Turned out I had a little nut come loose in the distributor and it broke the reluctor, the rotor and screwed up the cap. On all runs I was holding it at 2500 RPM on the line and letting it flash from there. Carried the wheels nicely on the first 3 runs. I'll have to dig thru my log book to find some times with comparable weather but the air was very good. Barometer 29.2 inches, 81.9F 22% humidity. Shifted at 6600 RPM. Around 6400 in the lights. Its definitely coming around!!
512Fairlane
512Fairlane

Back to top Go down

Post  '65 T-BOLT April 18th 2010, 1:11 am

very nice! Sounds like its coming around. I have decided to cut up my 65, redoing the car from front to back... (cage,frame,etc) I guess i will have to start posting pics as i go.
'65 T-BOLT
'65 T-BOLT

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down