BIG BLOCK FORD
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

OT---Fairlane question

+11
PROSTREET66
Nevs
ThndrChkn
1lowet
the Coug
LivermoreDave
56Tbird
665 falcon
c.evans
bbf-falcon
David Cole
15 posters

Page 1 of 3 1, 2, 3  Next

Go down

OT---Fairlane question Empty OT---Fairlane question

Post  David Cole February 17th 2010, 11:54 pm

I may be going to look at a 67 Fairlane GTA this weekend. Car was restored 7-8 years ago and the owner says it's in great shape. No rust, all the trim is good. Rechromed original bumpers. Black on Black. He bought it about 6 yrs ago from the guy that restored it.

Engine is a 390, has 8-9K miles on it since the rebuild. Says he has the receipts. Car has factory a/c, ps, pb, stock exhaust, 9" rear. Front disk brakes, original styled steel wheels. He says it has a Tri-Power setup on it.

Was the Tri Power deal ever an option on the 67? Possible dealer installed? Any way to tell if it's original? Seller did not know.

What else should I look for? I know my Mustangs fairly well, but don't know much about Fairlanes, other than I like the looks.
David Cole
David Cole
BBF CONTRIBUTOR
BBF CONTRIBUTOR

http://my.att.net/p/s/community.dll?ep=16&groupid=66449&

Back to top Go down

OT---Fairlane question Empty Re: OT---Fairlane question

Post  bbf-falcon February 18th 2010, 12:04 am

Look at the #'s on the intake. The tri-power most likely came from a 62/63 406 Galaxy. I'm pretty sure it wasn't a option on the Fairlane's.
I love those cars though, had a 66 and a 67 Very Happy

bbf-falcon

Back to top Go down

Post  c.evans February 18th 2010, 2:15 am

David,

The tri-power was not an option on a 1967 Fairlane GT. I never heard of it being a dealer installed item either, I suspect the previous "restorer" installed it. I'm going by memory here, but I believe the 390 with a 4 barrel was rated at 335 Hp.

Charlie Evans

c.evans
BBF VENDOR SPONSOR
BBF VENDOR SPONSOR

Back to top Go down

Post  665 falcon February 18th 2010, 7:44 am

Dave the only 6-pack 390 option i no of, was in 1961 rated at 401 hp. If memory serves me right. Not sure on the dealer installed option. If it came from Tasca Ford i guess anything possible. ps although i have seen some 390 6-pack 66/67 fairlanes running around just not sure if they where an option.
665 falcon
665 falcon
BBF CONTRIBUTOR
BBF CONTRIBUTOR

Back to top Go down

Post  56Tbird February 18th 2010, 8:26 am

I'm not sure on the 3-2's on a 67 ..I was thinking they had a 2-4's option on those ? Either way it's way cool !! Twisted Evil king
56Tbird
56Tbird
BBF CONTRIBUTOR
BBF CONTRIBUTOR

Back to top Go down

OT---Fairlane question Empty FAIRLANES of the 1967 variety.

Post  LivermoreDave February 18th 2010, 8:48 am

1967 Fairlane GT or GTA had the following engine options. 390/325, 289/225 and 289/271. I don't think the 289/200 engine was offered in the GT/GTA. The 6V induction could have been installed at any dealership although not part of the original purchase option package. The Style Steel wheels for the '67 model will have trim rings as the '66. The wheel, where the center cap clips should have a small notch for the '67 year model.

The '66 and '67 Fairlanes are nice cars. Good luck with your adventure.

Dave.

LivermoreDave

Back to top Go down

Post  56Tbird February 18th 2010, 8:55 am

That's funny Dave, I was just sitting thinking you'd be the guy in the know on this subject. FE King Dave king
56Tbird
56Tbird
BBF CONTRIBUTOR
BBF CONTRIBUTOR

Back to top Go down

Post  c.evans February 18th 2010, 11:53 am

Well, while we are on a roll here, let's talk about the 1967 Fairlane 427 drag cars. They are the ones that had the 2 X 4 intake manifolds. Does anybody know how many were built? Then the next question is how many were switched over to the Tunnel Port heads during the spring and summer of 1967. Did NHRA do a Hp rating change with the tunnel port heads?

As a sidenote, the best/biggest memory I have from the 1967 U.S. Nationals is all of the Fords vs. Mopars, in Super Stock. During the class runoffs with the Tunnel Port Fairlanes and Comets, going up against the 426 Street Hemis in the factory Satelites and Coronets. I think at that time the class was SS/B or SS/C.

Uncle Charlie

c.evans
BBF VENDOR SPONSOR
BBF VENDOR SPONSOR

Back to top Go down

Post  David Cole February 18th 2010, 12:33 pm

Charlie, the old Fairlanes are awesome. A friend of mine here in ne Alabama has one of the original 427 Fairlanes. It's been a racecar since new. Not sitting in a garage or museum though. It is raced on a regular basis. It's a 67 Fairlane post. 427 2X4, 4 speed. Stephen Johnson (and dad Horace) hold the current IHRA SS/D and NHRA SS/E records with it. He says he's going after the NHRA SS/D this year as well. They have owned it for 25+ years and it was sort of a famous "factory racer" back in the late 60's as one of the Van Cleve cars.

The car back in the day:
OT---Fairlane question Fairlane_jim_jr

The same car today:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kn4-xNbntB0&feature=PlayList&p=C2DDCC1B92D3CCE8&index=0
David Cole
David Cole
BBF CONTRIBUTOR
BBF CONTRIBUTOR

Back to top Go down

Post  the Coug February 18th 2010, 1:25 pm

David the only engine Try power I remember was the 406....

Randy
the Coug
the Coug

Back to top Go down

Post  c.evans February 18th 2010, 1:28 pm

Yep,

That turns my crank Exclamation The old factory '67 Super Stockers were available in either the 2dr hardtop body styles., or the 2dr sedan/coupe body styles.

Charlie

c.evans
BBF VENDOR SPONSOR
BBF VENDOR SPONSOR

Back to top Go down

Post  the Coug February 18th 2010, 1:31 pm

Charlie we have a guy over in Amarillo that use to run a 64 thunderbolt his name is Billy Parker, man that thing would fly not much so off the line but if you didn't have him long way by half track you better be watching the side view cuz he was coming by and fast after half track......They had a top end Charge from Hell

Randy
the Coug
the Coug

Back to top Go down

Post  bbf-falcon February 18th 2010, 4:24 pm

Charlie, Our good friend Terry Hardesty owned a Factory S/S 66 Fairlane that Barry's Ford inc.campaigned back in the 60/70's. Terry and a couple buddy's made a M/P car w/Tunnel Rammed Boss 302 in it. When Terry started raising a family he sold it. I could have bought the car complete and running for $1500. But back then it may as well been $50. Iwas poor as dirt. I did end up w/Boss out of it. Rolling Eyes

Originally it was a 427 MR w/dual 4's and 4 speed. It looked like a new car when he sold it. Crying or Very sad

bbf-falcon

Back to top Go down

OT---Fairlane question Empty fairlane

Post  1lowet February 19th 2010, 3:55 am

hey that looks just like my car just not white Very Happy

1lowet

Back to top Go down

Post  665 falcon February 19th 2010, 10:05 am

for any body that want's to be brought back in time this is a good read. check out the X-files

OT---Fairlane question Flashheader21
665 falcon
665 falcon
BBF CONTRIBUTOR
BBF CONTRIBUTOR

Back to top Go down

Post  ThndrChkn February 19th 2010, 7:23 pm

That Dearborn Flashback site is awesome. Haven't been there in awhile, may have to go back and check it out again. There's a guy here locally that has Ed Terry's old '66 Fairlane. When he called Ford to get some info on the car, they told him that the car doesn't exist, and that it had been destroyed in an accident in the late 60's sometime. After some phone line arguing, they were convinced enough that they sent some guys from Ford out here to look at the car. After a lengthy inspection, they concurred that yes, it was indeed the car Ed Terry had driven in '66/'67. They left him with all of the original paperwork, build sheet, paint codes etc. etc. I'll see if I can get a couple pics of it after he got it restored back to how it was in '66/'67.

Doug... Cool
ThndrChkn
ThndrChkn

Back to top Go down

Post  David Cole February 20th 2010, 9:18 am

Went and looked at it yesterday. Body is very straight. No evidence of any major rust or any crashes. Id does have some rust in the trunk. Drop off beside the tank on one side and the flat area beside the tank on the other. Through holes on both sides, but is fixable (been there before with a Mustang). Floor pans are fine w no rust. Only outside rust is some paint bubbling under the tape stripe on the left side just in front of the rear wheel. Radio doesn't work, but has a new CD player hidden in the glovebox. Odometer works, but speedo doesn't. He said the speedometer will work sometimes after it warmed up good. Everything else works. Lights, blinkers, etc. Paint is a 7/8 of 10. Some rock chips, couple scratches and one door ding. Rechromed bumpers, tailight bezels and dash trim bezel. Chrome on lettering and hood scoops not great. Seat covers, carpet, headliner all fairly new looking. The color has been changed. Black now, was Bronze Metallic

All the rare a/c stuff is there. Has a new condenser and dryer, but couldn't test it. The a/c idler pulley was bad, so no belt installed He had a new (used) pulley in the trunk. All front end bushings have been replaced and has a rebuilt control valve and pressure cyl for the p/s.

Engine is a 390 w added tri power and 428 cj valve covers. Cranked and ran good 50 spi oil pressure. Had been rebuilt .030 over, basic freshen up + a mild Comp Cam (unknown specs) new valve train except for rockers. Stock exhaust manifolds, no cracks that I can see. Dual exhaust w turbo style mufflers. Had a new core in the radiator and new fan clutch.

It ran and drove well, but will take a little getting used to. I'm like everyone else and have become used to rack and pinion steering. The car has the typical steering "float" of a '60's Ford. I did notice the steering wheel was not lined up right wen going straight.

Car decodes as :
63D body code: 500GT 2-Door hardtop
H: 390 2V (for 67, the 289 was std for the GTA with both 2V and 4V 390 optional, according to several web sites)
A 3:00 :1 locking axle. (now has 3.70 gears)
V: Bronze Metallic
8A Trim : Charcoal Black vinyl
Built March 30 1967

What do you guys think? It does have the little rust in trunk and the paint bubbling, but it is a factory big block car with everything there. It needs to be cleaned up, but can be presentable.

OT---Fairlane question DSCF0008
OT---Fairlane question DSCF0011
OT---Fairlane question DSCF0005
OT---Fairlane question DSCF0004
David Cole
David Cole
BBF CONTRIBUTOR
BBF CONTRIBUTOR

Back to top Go down

Post  56Tbird February 20th 2010, 9:46 am

I Think....I WANT IT !!!!!!!! I Love It cheers king
56Tbird
56Tbird
BBF CONTRIBUTOR
BBF CONTRIBUTOR

Back to top Go down

Post  Nevs February 20th 2010, 10:13 am

Unless he's asking huge money, I think I'd own it. Idea
Nevs
Nevs
BBF CONTRIBUTOR
BBF CONTRIBUTOR

Back to top Go down

Post  665 falcon February 20th 2010, 10:49 am

Goog looking car that's for sure, always liked the fairlanes Cool Cool
665 falcon
665 falcon
BBF CONTRIBUTOR
BBF CONTRIBUTOR

Back to top Go down

Post  ThndrChkn February 20th 2010, 12:05 pm

I agree with Nevs. I'd be buyin' that thing. And if you don't, there's a guy up here that probably will in that condition.

Doug... Cool
ThndrChkn
ThndrChkn

Back to top Go down

Post  c.evans February 20th 2010, 12:28 pm

David,

Realize that I'm an old dog. So back in the day, one of my high school buddies, Jerry Easton, had one. I remember Army Armstrong and myself running around, crusing with Jerry in his 390/325 horse GTA. It wasn't that fastest thing in town by any means, but I do remember it as being a very nice car and I always thought they were good looking. I also went to the Daytona 500 in 1967 and watched Mario Andretti win the race driving a Holman & Moody 427 Fairlane. Very Happy Long story short, the market is "right" now for the buyers with cash in hand. Go ahead and buy it! Exclamation

Uncle Charlie

c.evans
BBF VENDOR SPONSOR
BBF VENDOR SPONSOR

Back to top Go down

Post  PROSTREET66 February 20th 2010, 1:43 pm

Hey that's a very nice car .My other 66 in is Tri-power stroked 430 motor.Don't let it get away,nice ones are hard to find.Especially a/c cars.
PROSTREET66
PROSTREET66

Back to top Go down

Post  bbf-falcon February 20th 2010, 6:07 pm

c.evans wrote:David,

Realize that I'm an old dog. So back in the day, one of my high school buddies, Jerry Easton, had one. I remember Army Armstrong and myself running around, crusing with Jerry in his 390/325 horse GTA. It wasn't that fastest thing in town by any means, but I do remember it as being a very nice car and I always thought they were good looking. I also went to the Daytona 500 in 1967 and watched Mario Andretti win the race driving a Holman & Moody 427 Fairlane. Very Happy Long story short, the market is "right" now for the buyers with cash in hand. Go ahead and buy it! Exclamation

Uncle Charlie

Charlie,(Army Armstrong) Where have I heard that name before. I racking my little pee brain. HELP! bounce

bbf-falcon

Back to top Go down

Post  David Cole February 20th 2010, 6:30 pm

I bought it. Put a deposit down today. Should have it in my shop by the end of the week.
David Cole
David Cole
BBF CONTRIBUTOR
BBF CONTRIBUTOR

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 3 1, 2, 3  Next