BIG BLOCK FORD
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Valve Spring Retainer Question.

5 posters

Go down

Valve Spring Retainer Question. Empty Valve Spring Retainer Question.

Post  Mark Miller February 9th 2010, 1:20 am

On a 466 ci. BBF turning 6,500 to 6,800 rpm are Titanium retainers worth the extra money or are the Chrome Moly ones okay to use?Aluminum A-429 CJ heads 2.20 intake valve 1.76 exhaust valve .670-.690 lift 256-266 duration at .050 camshaft.

Thanks Mark.

Mark Miller

Back to top Go down

Valve Spring Retainer Question. Empty Re: Valve Spring Retainer Question.

Post  c.evans February 9th 2010, 2:12 am

Mark,

If it is a racing engine, with a roller cam and some stout valve springs, I would go with titanium. If it is a street-strip engine and a flat tappet cam, and milder valve springs, then go with the steel retainers.

The purpose of titanium retainers and even titanium valves, is to reduce the mass, that the valve springs have to control. This let's the engine rev higher and it also extends the life of the valve springs.

On high rpm race engines, valve springs are a frequent maintence item. Depending on a number of factors, they may be changed out a couple of times in a season, or even more. Many of our guys, (Phillip, Kristina, Bobby, George and etc.) have spare valve spring sets in the trailer.

Hope this helps,

Uncle Charlie

c.evans
BBF VENDOR SPONSOR
BBF VENDOR SPONSOR

Back to top Go down

Post  Larry Williams February 9th 2010, 11:01 am

uncle Charlie

Which is the bestest tool to use to change the valve springs? both on and off the engines
Larry Williams
Larry Williams

Back to top Go down

Post  c.evans February 9th 2010, 2:37 pm

Larry,

For stud mounted rocker arms, the best low cost tool was the Manley cam-over tool, but they discontinued it. So now I have to buy the Moroso cam-over, and immediately modify it by welding on two triangular braces going from the main threaded part out over the top of the two paws. Basically the Moroso tool is too cheap/weak, but I can not get the old Manley anymore.

Of course for on the engine valve spring changing, you will be pumping air into the cylinder through the spark plug holes in order to hold the valves up. Wack the edge of the retainer with a dead blow hammer, in order to break the locks loose, before you use the compressor.

For shaft mounted rocker arms, I use a tool from T&D, and then make the axle to my specs.

For the real pro racers, you might want to check out the Buxton Engineering tools. I've used them on some high end, big valve spring pressure applications.
www.buxtonengineering.com

Hope this helps,

Charlie
Charlie

c.evans
BBF VENDOR SPONSOR
BBF VENDOR SPONSOR

Back to top Go down

Post  Mark Miller February 10th 2010, 12:07 am

Charlie,

I have only had it to the track 2 times since 2004 so it sees more street driving than the strip.I'm using a spring with 225 lbs. closed pressure and 555 to 600 lbs. open pressure.Like i mentioned it's a solid roller cam .670-.690 lift and 256-266 duration at .050.Also i'm running the stock 2.20 intake and 1.76 exhaust valves that came from Ford Racing in my Aluminum A-429 Cj heads.Are they a decent enough valve to hold up to the 555 to 600 lb. open pressures for a reasonable amount of time?I'm on my 2nd set of valve springs now and have the Herbert Titanium retainers now but my buddy had a failure with one that's why i'm asking all the questions.

Thanks Mark.

Mark Miller

Back to top Go down

Post  Mark Miller February 10th 2010, 12:10 am

Ooops sorry i guess i didn't mention it was a solid roller cam in my original post.

Thanks Mark.

Mark Miller

Back to top Go down

Post  c.evans February 10th 2010, 2:12 am

Mark,

Those FRPP A-429 valves are fine. They are a very good quality valve and have certainly withstood more abuse than what you're doing with them. The Herbert titanium retainers should be just fine also. I suspect there may have been another problem with your buddie's engine, that was the real cause of the retainer failure. In your case, it seems that you do more street miles than any racing, so IMO if you want to go to a steel retainer, that's okay also. In your position, you could go either way, sorta' like stradling a fence.

Charlie

c.evans
BBF VENDOR SPONSOR
BBF VENDOR SPONSOR

Back to top Go down

Post  dfree383 February 10th 2010, 8:18 am

You can also get lighter weight steel stuff.
dfree383
dfree383
BBF CONTRIBUTOR
BBF CONTRIBUTOR

Back to top Go down

Post  Mark Miller February 10th 2010, 11:59 pm

Charlie,

Thanks in a perfect world i would like to race my car 1 to 2 times a year but that never happens.Also dfree383 mentioned the lighter steel retainers who makes them?

Thanks Mark.

Mark Miller

Back to top Go down

Post  c.evans February 11th 2010, 12:34 am

Mark, ask dfree, but I assume he is talking about some of the Beehive retainers that go with the Beehive springs from Comp Cams.

Charlie

c.evans
BBF VENDOR SPONSOR
BBF VENDOR SPONSOR

Back to top Go down

Post  dfree383 February 11th 2010, 10:10 am

It is Comp Cams thats now offering lighter weight steel stuff (not sure if their are others). I haven't had any in my hands but saw them in some advertising somewhere. They where being billed as "almost as light as TI" but alot cheaper, Probably has a good nitch with alot of guys builds.

http://www.compperformancegroupstores.com/store/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Store_Code=CC&Product_Code=1731-16&Category_Code=
dfree383
dfree383
BBF CONTRIBUTOR
BBF CONTRIBUTOR

Back to top Go down

Post  Mark Miller February 11th 2010, 11:48 pm

dfree383,

Would those work okay with a 1.55" spring?

Thanks Mark.

Mark Miller

Back to top Go down

Post  dfree383 February 12th 2010, 10:18 am

Mark Miller wrote:dfree383,

Would those work okay with a 1.55" spring?

Thanks Mark.

what 1.55 springs? Check the comp catalog it gives the dimensions and other part numbers are avaliable.
dfree383
dfree383
BBF CONTRIBUTOR
BBF CONTRIBUTOR

Back to top Go down

Post  jones February 12th 2010, 10:40 am

The Beehive retainers I am using have the super locks and they seem to be real lite. Not the cheapest but cost less than Ti.
Valve Spring Retainer Question. 014

jones

Back to top Go down

Post  Mark Miller February 13th 2010, 1:04 am

dfree383,

Thanks i'll check them out when i get my tax money back,Later Mark.

Mark Miller

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down