BIG BLOCK FORD
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

strange strut adj.

3 posters

Go down

strange strut adj. Empty strange strut adj.

Post  cool40 January 24th 2010, 1:45 am

got some older strange struts today and dont know how to adjust them.they're the coilovers like most tube cars run.they've got a little round thingy on top with small 4 small holes,it will move a little but not turn.one works like it should but the other one is hard to pull up,or rebound i guess you may call it.will strange rebuild these or can i buy parts and DIY.the little flat bearings that go under the springs are rusty and need replaced for sure.thanks
cool40
cool40
BBF CONTRIBUTOR
BBF CONTRIBUTOR

Back to top Go down

strange strut adj. Empty Re: strange strut adj.

Post  DILLIGASDAVE January 24th 2010, 11:48 am

When you say "older" how old are we talking? Are they the real, real old model Stranges where the strut body looks like it's all made of round material top to bottom? Or the newer stuff that looks round at the top (spring adjuster area), but then reduces down in size from the spindle area down to the bottom?

Strange will rebuild them (at least they used to). If they are the new(ish) model struts the top extension (rebound) adjuster should rotate aprox. 3.4 to 3.5 full 360* turns to go from full loose to full tight. If the adjusters wont move something might be f-cked up, or the seals might just be dry, or someone might have just cranked them too tight to the full loose or full tight position.
DILLIGASDAVE
DILLIGASDAVE

Back to top Go down

Post  cool40 January 24th 2010, 1:30 pm

thanks for the help,they look like the one's you can buy new from strange now,but i know for sure they're late 80's/early90's.the adjusters are stuck i guess,they move back and forth a little but thats it.they've been out in the rain too long but maybe they're salvageable.thanks again.
cool40
cool40
BBF CONTRIBUTOR
BBF CONTRIBUTOR

Back to top Go down

Post  cool40 January 29th 2010, 10:12 pm

ok,the adjusters wont turn.i called strange and they were very nice and helpful folks.they emailed me a breakdown on them with all the how-to's on the adjustments so i new more about it but i cant do any good.i made a tool to fit the top to try and get into it but it would'nt move.anybody rebuild these things before?strange will do it for 80$ plus parts,it's just the "plus parts"that worries me.any thoughts?any of you had to rebuild before?
cool40
cool40
BBF CONTRIBUTOR
BBF CONTRIBUTOR

Back to top Go down

Post  DILLIGASDAVE January 30th 2010, 12:25 am

cool40 wrote:strange will do it for 80$ plus parts,it's just the "plus parts"that worries me.any thoughts?any of you had to rebuild before?

It can get kinda pricey sometimes.

On a car I worked on that had a set of the real old ancient Strange struts, the cartridge inserts had really crapped out big time. Everything inside (bushings/seals/piston) was so bad that you could wobble the inner shaft around inside the cartridge body. I forget the actual dollar total, but it was somewhere between $300 - $400 for both.

Unfortunately you wont know for sure the damage to your wallet until you send the struts in.
DILLIGASDAVE
DILLIGASDAVE

Back to top Go down

Post  cool40 January 30th 2010, 1:02 am

guess i'll just send them and see.i'm in them pritty good so it wont hurt to spend a little on them.thanks
cool40
cool40
BBF CONTRIBUTOR
BBF CONTRIBUTOR

Back to top Go down

Post  70FB August 9th 2014, 11:43 am

cool40 wrote:guess i'll just send them and see.i'm in them pritty good so it wont hurt to spend a little on them.thanks
I know this is old but any update on this?
70FB
70FB
BBF CONTRIBUTOR
BBF CONTRIBUTOR

Back to top Go down

Post  cool40 August 9th 2014, 1:01 pm

Both struts were in bad shape. I talked to a guy at strange and he told me to send them in and they'd see what they could do.they had a deal called crash replacement, where they sell you a bare strut.I went that route on both struts and saved a few $$$. Really nice folks to deal with too!!
cool40
cool40
BBF CONTRIBUTOR
BBF CONTRIBUTOR

Back to top Go down

Post  70FB August 10th 2014, 12:21 am

Ten 4. Not at all happy with the aje's. Weighing my options. I've been told that I should just get the custom da afcos and be done with it...
70FB
70FB
BBF CONTRIBUTOR
BBF CONTRIBUTOR

Back to top Go down

Post  cool40 August 10th 2014, 11:28 pm

70FB wrote:Ten 4. Not at all happy with the aje's. Weighing my options.  I've been told that I should just get the custom da afcos and be done with it...
afco has some good stuff!
cool40
cool40
BBF CONTRIBUTOR
BBF CONTRIBUTOR

Back to top Go down

Post  DILLIGASDAVE August 11th 2014, 4:09 am

70FB wrote:...........Not at all happy with the aje's...........

If it's AJE's crap strut valving that's the problem (and not the strut body it's self), can you replace their strut cartridge inserts with an adjustable cartridge from another maker?
DILLIGASDAVE
DILLIGASDAVE

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down