BIG BLOCK FORD
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

1969 Lincoln Mk III

4 posters

Go down

1969 Lincoln Mk III Empty 1969 Lincoln Mk III

Post  BigBadL August 5th 2023, 7:53 pm

I am trying to figure out what to do in rebuilding this car, especially the engine. I have watched a lot of vids on YT about rebuilding a 460, from mild to wild, on powernation especially. Though one is of course tempted to go hog wild and build for as much power they can afford, I have realized all these guys are aways just talking about engines, on dyno stands. I have realized if I have built, and can afford to build a wild 460, I need especially to have suspension components that can control that much power. Especially a trans, will a "stock" C6 tolerate 600 or more HP reliably without breaking, or is something more needed for a transmission? I know and have read about upgrading things like front control arms, but I dont even know if anything like this is available for 1969 Lincolns. But even more, does the body need to be stiffened with more bracing? Are the any parts available for more bracing to make the frame stronger? I did want to have EFI when I finally have my engine rebuilt, mostly cuz I am sick of carbs and they take forever to start when its cold. I love EFI and just turning the key no matter what the weather is, and of course I was thinking something very cool like EFI stacks, until I saw they are $3000 or more. I also like the FAST Man 6 pack, I know more designed for Mopar, I thought this would be very cool, but again like $3000. Stacks probably dont make any sense if you are not going to see them, especially for $3000. Then also if one has a 460 that is making 600 or more HP, does one need to change the rear axle? My thinking for the engine was since it is very old and needs to rebuilt, to have it bored and stroked to 545 cubic inches, maybe about 10:1 or a little more if its practical? But in the end, though I am tempted by the HP, I want a car that is easy to drive. Another thing I have realized, a friend told me that one has to have the right cooling system, especially if one has a high-power engine with aluminum heads. Could anyone give me info and advice parts or ideas in starting this project? I dont want to rebuild the car back to stock, I want to do more of a restomod. Thank you

BigBadL

Back to top Go down

1969 Lincoln Mk III Empty Re: 1969 Lincoln Mk III

Post  rmcomprandy August 5th 2023, 10:04 pm

BigBadL wrote:I am trying to figure out what to do in rebuilding this car, especially the engine. I have watched a lot of vids on YT about rebuilding a 460, from mild to wild, on powernation especially. Though one is of course tempted to go hog wild and build for as much power they can afford, I have realized all these guys are aways just talking about engines, on dyno stands. I have realized if I have built, and can afford to build a wild 460, I need especially to have suspension components that can control that much power. Especially a trans, will a "stock" C6 tolerate 600 or more HP reliably without breaking, or is something more needed for a transmission? I know and have read about upgrading things like front control arms, but I dont even know if anything like this is available for 1969 Lincolns. But even more, does the body need to be stiffened with more bracing? Are the any parts available for more bracing to make the frame stronger? I did want to have EFI when I finally have my engine rebuilt, mostly cuz I am sick of carbs and they take forever to start when its cold. I love EFI and just turning the key no matter what the weather is, and of course I was thinking something very cool like EFI stacks, until I saw they are $3000 or more. I also like the FAST Man 6 pack, I know more designed for Mopar, I thought this would be very cool, but again like $3000. Stacks probably dont make any sense if you are not going to see them, especially for $3000. Then also if one has a 460 that is making 600 or more HP, does one need to change the rear axle? My thinking for the engine was since it is very old and needs to rebuilt, to have it bored and stroked to 545 cubic inches, maybe about 10:1 or a little more if its practical? But in the end, though I am tempted by the HP, I want a car that is easy to drive. Another thing I have realized, a friend told me that one has to have the right cooling system, especially if one has a high-power engine with aluminum heads. Could anyone give me info and advice parts or ideas in starting this project? I dont want to rebuild the car back to stock, I want to do more of a restomod. Thank you

I would build a 9.5/1 compression 502 stroker engine with some head-work having a lot of torque and don't even think about horsepower.

rmcomprandy

http://www.rmcompetition.com

Dave De likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post  Dave De August 18th 2023, 7:33 am

I like Randy's direction.
This would be an off center ground crank with rods and pistons.
Another option would be to use a 4.3" stroke rotating assembly for 521 cubes. You want torque to make that 4,900 pound car seem light. A good fit for SCJ heads.
Dave De
Dave De

Back to top Go down

Post  BBFTorino August 18th 2023, 1:46 pm

Build for torque and street manners....let the horsepower number fall wherever it may.

BBFTorino

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down