BIG BLOCK FORD
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

C6 Governor Elimination

4 posters

Go down

C6 Governor Elimination Empty C6 Governor Elimination

Post  sandvipr January 24th 2023, 12:37 pm

Hi guys,  I've been running a C6 behind a 4-digit BBF for several years and so far, zero issues with it.  After the last dyno session we figured out that the parasitic loss was pretty crazy and I'm looking to reduce some rotating mass and rollorize things this time around.  Previously I followed Frank's "recipe" and it has been awesome with just fluid changes a couple times a season.  It currently has more clutches per gear, Broader reverse manual VB, hardened input shaft, correct servo, etc.  I'm not ready to switch platforms just yet....  I have a goal I want to hit with this combo.

I just ordered up everything to install Torrington bearings and related parts and I'm also looking into billet drums (much lighter) skeletonized sun gear, etc.  Just more purchased parts to be installed.

My main question has to do with the governor- I see bits and pieces of threads where people have discussed removing it, the tubes, and some mods to the park pawl and capturing components.   Does anyone have nice step by step instructions with photos on what actually needs to be done? My main concern is what happens to the fluid?  Does it get blocked anywhere or does it just hemorrhage internally?  If it does, will that affect the line pressures for the rest of the operation and are there oiling issues at the tail without it?

The car sees mostly track use with the occasional cruise to a show here and there. It probably sees less than 1,000 street miles per year.   Is that enough to keep those components in it or can I eliminate all of that stuff? It's a pro street mustang and it weighs approximately 3100 lbs and I run a 5300 stall.  Not sure if that has any bearing on the direction of this.  What say the pros?
sandvipr
sandvipr

droppedf100 likes this post

Back to top Go down

C6 Governor Elimination Empty Re: C6 Governor Elimination

Post  Frank Merkl January 25th 2023, 5:08 pm

Take a look at the Vb and see if there are ports for the governor if not leave it out and just put the snapring back
Frank Merkl
Frank Merkl

Back to top Go down

Post  sandvipr January 25th 2023, 5:12 pm

Thank you Frank- I'll be tearing into it in a week or so. I'll reference your comments when I get it apart. Appreciate your input!!!!
sandvipr
sandvipr

Back to top Go down

Post  Gregaust January 26th 2023, 5:20 am

Trouble is , The Broader RMVB still has the ports showing in the plate . I contacted him and said was no problem , leave governor off .

I was lucky someone else showed me pics of the valvebody apart and showed the governor channels blocked off in the channel plate .

No idea why he does it like that Shocked

Gregaust

Back to top Go down

Post  Gregaust January 26th 2023, 5:25 am

Like this
edit , ok didn't work for pic . Can email if you like

Gregaust

Back to top Go down

Post  HorsinAround January 27th 2023, 9:38 am

Thanks for posting this.

When I build my 2 C6's, I left the govenor and tubes in because I didn't find any thing in the Broader kit instructions saying to take them out. Fast forward 3 years and I was swamped in the shop so I had the local transmission shop go through both of them and he took the govenor and tubes out saying I didn't need them.
I ran one maybe a total of 12 passes before the motor let go, (another story) and while it was out getting redone, I tried to pull the billet input shaft out of the c6 that was behind that motor and noticed that it wouldn't come out. I had to take the pump out and tap the shaft out because the rear bushing was lightly stuck on it and the shaft was slightly out of round. So now you have me wondering if taking the govenor and tubes out without caping the holes in the vb caused this problem or contributed to it.
HorsinAround
HorsinAround

http://www.frontpagefab.com

Back to top Go down

Post  sandvipr January 27th 2023, 10:13 am

HorsinAround wrote:Thanks for posting this.

When I build my 2 C6's, I left the govenor and tubes in because I didn't find any thing in the Broader kit instructions saying to take them out. Fast forward 3 years and I was swamped in the shop so I had the local transmission shop go through both of them and he took the govenor and tubes out saying I didn't need them.
I ran one maybe a total of 12 passes before the motor let go, (another story) and while it was out getting redone, I tried to pull the billet input shaft out of the c6 that was behind that motor and noticed that it wouldn't come out. I had to take the pump out and tap the shaft out because the rear bushing was lightly stuck on it and the shaft was slightly out of round. So now you have me wondering if taking the govenor and tubes out without caping the holes in the vb caused this problem or contributed to it.

I do quite a bit of root cause analysis and these are the things that just popped in my head when I was thinking through how things might work. I don't know if my questions and concerns have any merit, so I'm asking here. Hopefully someone else comments on your findings as I'm curious if that would have affected the input shaft. I suspect the shaft was just bad at assembly because I don't think anything done to the governor circuit would have cause damage at the front, but hopefully the pros on here can give some insight. I know just enough about these things to assemble them and make them work as intended.
sandvipr
sandvipr

HorsinAround likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post  HorsinAround January 27th 2023, 10:36 am

sandvipr wrote:
HorsinAround wrote:Thanks for posting this.

I do quite a bit of root cause analysis and these are the things that just popped in my head when I was thinking through how things might work.   I don't know if my questions and concerns have any merit, so I'm asking here.   Hopefully someone else comments on your findings as I'm curious  if that would have affected the input shaft.  I suspect the shaft was just bad at assembly because I don't think anything done to the governor circuit would have cause damage at the front, but hopefully the pros on here can give some insight. I know just enough about these things to assemble them and make them work as intended.

I am the same lol. I know the input shaft was good when when I put it it as it went in and out with the normal ease. I am planning to tear it down completely and go through it to see if I can find the "smoking gun". But I would LOVE to hear what the experts think so I have an idea of things to look for.
HorsinAround
HorsinAround

http://www.frontpagefab.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Gregaust January 29th 2023, 5:50 am

Here is what I sent to Jay and his reply . I also asked re line pressure and when using the billet forward piston.

He ordered a C6 Reverse manual valvebody.
I wanted to check it is correct.

I Note the separator plate has the governor holes and modulator holes
all open , on most other RMVB these usually are blocked off .

Is this correct? Guessing if this is right these ports must be blocked
internally?

What line pressure is the valvebody normally set up at as a guide? .
I like to check each one I build.

Sent: Tuesday, 19 Jan, 2021 At 12:48 AM
Subject: Re: Broader Performance

Don't worry about the holes in the valve body plate. Pressure about 170+ psi. Just use spring with servo. 10 springs is fine in direct. Yes, just omit the old wire ring used with old piston

Gregaust

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down