BIG BLOCK FORD
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

AFR headed 460 is a dud

+5
dfree383
manofmerc
Mark Miller
supervel45
ronski
9 posters

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

AFR headed 460 is a dud - Page 2 Empty Re: AFR headed 460 is a dud

Post  The Mad Porter November 9th 2022, 3:11 pm

ronski wrote:
The Mad Porter wrote:
ronski wrote:My AFR headed 460 is a dud. The truck runs 16.8 @ 85 mph and I know the combination is mismatched
but I expected a bit more than that. 1979 F250 2wd regular cab, 3.55 gears, C6.
It started as a stock rebuild then covid hit and I figured I would build a stroker but the only thing that
wasn’t backordered forever were the heads and I had to get the truck finished and driving for this
summer. Here is what went together.
Stock 1979 460, new rings and bearings, summit 3500 camshaft (204&214 degrees at .050, .486&.512”
lift), hedman 1-¾ headers, edelbrock pro-flo 4 efi, AFR 280 85cc heads, C6 with diesel torque converter
(local transmission shop said that would work well with the planned 545 before I settled for the stock
short block).

I am assuming it is the mild camshaft but it could be the headers, pro-flo efi, torque converter, or???
I can try for a bit larger camshaft but with the AFR heads and no notches in the pistons I don’t know if
that will be enough. I would like 450-500 horsepower at the crank and it must run on 87 octane fuel.
If I have to start over with a new block that’s fine. I have another use for this short block and have other 460’s to rebuild. I would prefer to keep the stock crank and rods so will buy proper pistons
and have them notched for the 460 but if I need to build a stroker to get my numbers that’s not a
financial problem just more parts to find.

The AFR heads have a roval port on standard port centers. The T2 and RPM intakes align quite well.
We've built dozens upon dozens of AFR headed engines of various displacements with the T2 intake as well as the RPM.
All made outstanding power.

Not your heads but rather your combo.

Assuming proper fuel and spark maps with total timing of about 30 to 31* which you would do well to double check.

1400 stall diesel convertor is KILLING your 60 foot times. Unless your spark map offers an aggressive timing map the bottom end is going to be soft
and the map isn't going to allow TT for 1100 rpm or more. LAZY as your 60' show.

The Torker 2 works very well on the AFR heads but is completely UNSUITABLE in this application.

8 to 1 static is not helping matters even with that very short generic 204 / 214 cam.

Properly tuned you should still be making 400+ hp...

A regular fueled 521 with AFR heads, RPM intake, 219 / 233 HFT cam will make 567 HP and 650 torque. A 545 even more.

Sort out your combo, tune it properly and get a proper convertor your current of which is still too tight for a stroker.
A lopey cam with that tight convertor is going to tug at the drive line and be miserable at idle in gear.

As many others here have stated. It is all about the combination.
One can have a great parts package but if the tune is off... Game over.

Scotty Jay / Parkland-RHP
Tacoma Wa.

Thanks Scotty, If I go with your Tow Pack stroker combo in another block can I make the torker intake manifold and heads work well?  I have another truck waiting for a stock 460 so this short block won't go to waste.  Will your hydraulic flat tappet camshaft work without switching springs for break-in?  I am running the hydraulic roller spring without the inner spring in these heads now and if I have to switch springs after break-in I may just go with a solid roller lifter hydraulic cam combo from you.
Thanks

Yes at 545 inches and maybe slightly more cam timing.

Shoot me an email or telephone me if we can be of assistance.
Scott@ParklandAutoMachine.Com

Scotty Jay / Parkland-RHP
The Mad Porter
The Mad Porter

http://www.reincarnation-automotive.com

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2