BIG BLOCK FORD
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

N2O control on carb application

3 posters

Go down

N2O control on carb application Empty N2O control on carb application

Post  nedceifus August 1st 2022, 4:23 pm

466, street/strip. Want to run a 200 shot on a Nitrous Express Gemini plate. Also want 2 fuel sources, one race gas, one pump.  Question being… I’ve looked at N2O controllers. Looks like they have the N2O control covered. But, I would like something that will control timing as well. I’m thinking about a Holley ECU that can adjust timing & control N2O all at the same time with a locked out MSD. Is this the ticket? Or am I overthinking this?
nedceifus
nedceifus

Back to top Go down

N2O control on carb application Empty Re: N2O control on carb application

Post  HorsinAround January 27th 2023, 9:54 am

I know this is an old post, but.... Have you looked at a MSD 7AL-3 or Digital 7? I know the -3 can retard timing up to 20 degrees and the Digital 7 gives you endless adjustability. You also can control the nitrous on/off with the 7al-3 using the RPM activated switch.
In either case, if you are looking to control the nitrous ramp rate also then you will have to get another box. From my research, the Maximizer EZ and the Maximizer 5 seem to be the top choice.

Hope this helps.
Alan
HorsinAround
HorsinAround

http://www.frontpagefab.com

Back to top Go down

Post  nedceifus February 22nd 2023, 3:05 pm

I believe I’ll run a Maximizer 5. I think I was getting too far in the weeds thinking I needed my timing to ramp proportionate to the No2. Then on the ignition side MSD Grid.
nedceifus
nedceifus

Back to top Go down

Post  HorsinAround February 22nd 2023, 5:16 pm

Perhaps but, I think it would maximize the engine potential if you ramped the timing in relation to the nitrous ramp. It wouldn't matter if you are bracket racing where you just need to run a consistent number, but for heads up type stuff, you need everything the motor can give so ramping the timing would help.

My 2 cents worth..

Alan
HorsinAround
HorsinAround

nedceifus likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post  supervel45 October 8th 2023, 7:56 am

HorsinAround wrote:Perhaps but, I think it would maximize the engine potential if you ramped the timing in relation to the nitrous ramp. It wouldn't matter if you are bracket racing where you just need to run a consistent number, but for heads up type stuff, you need everything the motor can give so ramping the timing would help.

My 2 cents worth..

Alan

I am Going to Have to Respectivly Disagree with You in This Case.

1.  OP is at 466CID

2. OP is Considering a 200 HP Shot.

3. OP is Planning Heads Up Type Street/Grudge Racing.Cool

He is Also Doing a Bunch of Mods to His 1964 Galaxie, Including Suspension Work I Believe.

If He Can Get It To Plant and Hook, I Say Go For Broke Out The Hole.

Back The Timing Down Enough For the Nitrous on Engine Pump Gas With Race Gas for the Nitrous and Let Her EAT and Eat for All She's Got.

I Have Done It on Straight 110 Sunoco Race Gas Up to 325 HP.  11.5/1 Compression BIG Tight 106 LSA Roller!

I am Sure A Lot of The Nitrous and Gas Went Out The Tail Pipe Because of The N/A Cam Choice. OVERLAP Ect.

Hit The Button After The Roll if Need Be!

All I Have To Show For Dead Hooks with Un-Screwed Slicks is Broken Rear End Parts. Needed 31 Spline ect.

^ That Was at 225 HP on a Smallish 400 CID Deal!!!

To Try and Get The Extra .1 of a Second on My 60 Foot Times.   ^^^

Or OP can Spend a Bunch of Money for Electronic's For When He Put's Some Real Juice cherry :  to It Later.Smile  afro

supervel45

nedceifus likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post  HorsinAround October 9th 2023, 8:51 am

supervel45 wrote:
HorsinAround wrote:Perhaps but, I think it would maximize the engine potential if you ramped the timing in relation to the nitrous ramp. It wouldn't matter if you are bracket racing where you just need to run a consistent number, but for heads up type stuff, you need everything the motor can give so ramping the timing would help.

My 2 cents worth..

Alan

I am Going to Have to Respectivly Disagree with You in This Case.

1.  OP is at 466CID

But the OP doesn't say how radical the 466 will be. (the 466 in my pulling truck made 800hp at 7200)

2. OP is Considering a 200 HP Shot.

3. OP is Planning Heads Up Type Street/Grudge Racing.Cool
His original post said street/strip. So I assumed street driver/ sportsman class on the drag strip.

He is Also Doing a Bunch of Mods to His 1964 Galaxie, Including Suspension Work I Believe.
If He Can Get It To Plant and Hook, I Say Go For Broke Out The Hole.

If he is doing suspension work and upgrading the rear end, then sure, try the full shot at the hit, if it unsettles the car, then do a smaller shot and ramp up until you can get the suspension sorted out.

Back The Timing Down Enough For the Nitrous on Engine Pump Gas With Race Gas for the Nitrous and Let Her EAT and Eat for All She's Got.

I Have Done It on Straight 110 Sunoco Race Gas Up to 325 HP.  11.5/1 Compression BIG Tight 106 LSA Roller!

I am Sure A Lot of The Nitrous and Gas Went Out The Tail Pipe Because of The N/A Cam Choice. OVERLAP Ect.

Hit The Button After The Roll if Need Be!
What effect would the full 200 shot have on the car if he hits it after the roll?  Asking because I don't know. It seems like it could upset the car more then at the hit.

All I Have To Show For Dead Hooks with Un-Screwed Slicks is Broken Rear End Parts. Needed 31 Spline ect.

^ That Was at 225 HP on a Smallish 400 CID Deal!!!

To Try and Get The Extra .1 of a Second on My 60 Foot Times.   ^^^

Or OP can Spend a Bunch of Money for Electronic's For When He Put's Some Real Juice  cherry :  to It Later.Smile  afro
HorsinAround
HorsinAround

Back to top Go down

Post  nedceifus October 20th 2023, 9:44 am

HorsinAround wrote:I know this is an old post, but.... Have you looked at a MSD 7AL-3 or Digital 7? I know the -3 can retard timing up to 20 degrees and the Digital 7 gives you endless adjustability. You also can control the nitrous on/off with the 7al-3 using the RPM activated switch.
In either case, if you are looking to control the nitrous ramp rate also then you will have to get another box. From my research, the Maximizer EZ and the Maximizer 5 seem to be the top choice.

Hope this helps.
Alan  
I ended up buying a Grid off marketplace. I’m going to let it run everything.
nedceifus
nedceifus

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down