BIG BLOCK FORD
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Ring recommendations?

5 posters

Go down

Ring recommendations? Empty Ring recommendations?

Post  curiousgeorge Mon 3 Jan 2022 - 23:08

I'm looking for a set of rings to put in my pulling motor. I'm pretty sure it has speedpro Hellfire rings in it now but it's been 10 years since I built it so I'm not positive. 4.5" bore, Forged, 14:1, 1/16" 1/16" 3/16" Naturally aspirated on race fuel. I do have a ring filer if I need to file them. What would be a good set of rings to run? If I didn't give enough info just ask.

curiousgeorge

Back to top Go down

Ring recommendations? Empty Re: Ring recommendations?

Post  gt350hr Tue 4 Jan 2022 - 18:16

In the last ten years there has been a move to "steel" top rings. Total seal has them as CS9190+255 they are at least as expensive as the Hellfire rings but FAR superior in wear and ease on the cylinder walls. The surface is coated so no special cylinder wall finish is needed.

gt350hr

rmcomprandy likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post  curiousgeorge Tue 4 Jan 2022 - 22:41

I figured things had changed a little over the last 10 years or so. I’ve been away from it for too long. Hope to change that this year.

curiousgeorge

Back to top Go down

Post  BigDave65 Sun 9 Jan 2022 - 17:51

gt350hr wrote:In the last ten years there has been a move to "steel" top rings. Total seal has them as CS9190+255 they are at least as expensive as the Hellfire rings but FAR superior in wear and ease on the cylinder walls. The surface is coated so no special cylinder wall finish is needed.

I'm curious as to why the move to the steel top rings? They sure have a lot of tension on them. It's noticeably harder to turn the engine over by hand. Not to mention they'll wear you out grinding the ends with a hand filer!
BigDave65
BigDave65

Back to top Go down

Post  gt350hr Mon 10 Jan 2022 - 16:58

Steel rings have reduced radial wall to reduce tension. They are produced with a precision "barrel face" to reduce cylinder wear while maintaining ring seal. The ring material is no harder on ring filers than the "hardened manganese" used in Hellfire rings. These and stainless steel top rings are far more ductile (important in blown or heavy nitrous applications) for increased durability. The "moly" faced rings are known for chipping /flaking the plasma sprayed moly off in those uses.

gt350hr

Mark Miller and 460 bb fan like this post

Back to top Go down

Post  rmcomprandy Mon 10 Jan 2022 - 21:59

curiousgeorge wrote:I'm looking for a set of rings to put in my pulling motor.  I'm pretty sure it has speedpro Hellfire rings in it now but it's been 10 years since I built it so I'm not positive.  4.5" bore, Forged, 14:1, 1/16" 1/16" 3/16"  Naturally aspirated on race fuel.  I do have a ring filer if I need to file them.  What would be a good set of rings to run?  If I didn't give enough info just ask.

I would investigate some ring spacers in order to use thinner compression rings and with less radial cross-section.

rmcomprandy

http://www.rmcompetition.com

curiousgeorge and Mark Miller like this post

Back to top Go down

Post  Mark O'Neal Wed 2 Feb 2022 - 15:02

Look at the Engine Pro (Hastings, I think) Nitro Black ring sets. It's a nitride stainless top, Napier second, and flow vent oil. They have a much lower coefficient of friction.

I think they're dropping them, but there's still some available at about 270.00 for non file fit. Part number is 43SN8590

Mark O'Neal

curiousgeorge likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum