BIG BLOCK FORD
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Best choice Solid Roller Lifters

+4
BOSS 429
wickettoby1
Lem Evans
airford1
8 posters

Go down

Best choice Solid Roller Lifters Empty Best choice Solid Roller Lifters

Post  airford1 January 29th 2020, 12:32 pm

Looking to replace my solid roller lifters , again. What is the best to last? Been using Comp Cams.

airford1
airford1

Back to top Go down

Best choice Solid Roller Lifters Empty Re: Best choice Solid Roller Lifters

Post  Lem Evans January 29th 2020, 1:21 pm

airford1 wrote:Looking to replace my solid roller lifters , again. What is the best  to last? Been using Comp Cams.

You been using 836-16 comp?

Lem Evans

http://bfevansraceparts.com

Back to top Go down

Post  airford1 January 29th 2020, 4:16 pm

Yes Sir
airford1
airford1

Back to top Go down

Post  wickettoby1 January 29th 2020, 4:37 pm

If budget is not a concern Jesel

wickettoby1

Back to top Go down

Post  Lem Evans January 29th 2020, 7:11 pm

airford1 wrote:Yes Sir

You do need to move on from there......836 has a cast body and spread at the forks.

Budget range?

Lem Evans

Back to top Go down

Post  BOSS 429 January 30th 2020, 12:56 am

airford1 wrote:Looking to replace my solid roller lifters , again. What is the best  to last? Been using Comp Cams.

What problem are you having with the comps?

how many runs on them?

Last edited by BOSS 429 on January 31st 2020, 9:44 am; edited 1 time in total
BOSS 429
BOSS 429

Back to top Go down

Post  airford1 January 30th 2020, 9:36 am

Budget range is , Put something in that doesn't fail and destroy the engine. I will pay for quality, but then I'm told to change them every 100 passes? Lets see if my math is right with the comp cams thats $ 4.40 a pass and now it looks like that could go up to @ $1000 a set with someone else and are we going to change them every 100 passes also? Lem's right the Comp cams can split at the base. My car is just a Bracket racer that runs 10.0 on 91 pump gas.
airford1
airford1

Back to top Go down

Post  airford1 January 30th 2020, 9:38 am

So if I reduce the lift will the lifter last longer and at what point would that be. Not to be cheap, but I dont have deep pockets
airford1
airford1

Back to top Go down

Post  Lem Evans January 30th 2020, 11:16 am

airford1 wrote:So if I reduce the lift will the lifter last longer and at what point would that be. Not to be cheap, but I dont have deep pockets

It's more about spring pressure than lift. None will last for ever. There are some good lifters in the $700-$850 range.

The best stuff is $1,500-$2,500 range but I don't think you need to be there.

Lem Evans

Back to top Go down

Post  BOSS 429 January 30th 2020, 3:27 pm

airford1 wrote:Budget range is , Put something in that doesn't fail and destroy the engine. I will pay for quality, but then I'm told to change them every 100 passes? Lets see if my math is right with the comp cams thats $ 4.40 a pass and now it looks like that could go up to @ $1000 a set with someone else and are we going to change them every 100 passes also? Lem's right the Comp cams can split at the base. My car is just a Bracket racer that runs 10.0 on 91 pump gas.

I have been using those lifters since around 1985 86, never had one fail. , just ordered another set for new build. some been in engines for 10 years, My first set was 10 years old before I changed them,and in 5 diff engines,with diff cams. My wifes street car has over 600 passes,and have been in there since 2002, and street driven many miles. I have no idea how many of these I have installed,but all have been fine.

BOSS 429
BOSS 429

Back to top Go down

Post  Copperhead January 30th 2020, 4:42 pm

FWIW,.......

I ran the Comp 836-16 Lifters in my A-headed 598 for 5 years,......and it had a TON of passes on it,....w/o any failures,....BUT,.....I was running the original TFS springs that were installed on my heads,....and I was very diligent about the Valve Lash. Checked it often.

Also,....the Cam is .814/.780 Lift

My engine is currently getting re-freshed by Jet-Boat Bob.

Copperhead
Copperhead

Back to top Go down

Post  Lem Evans January 30th 2020, 4:55 pm

Copperhead wrote:FWIW,.......

I ran the Comp 836-16 Lifters in my A-headed 598 for 5 years,......and it had a TON of passes on it,....w/o any failures,....BUT,.....I was running the original TFS springs that were installed on my heads,....and I was very diligent about the Valve Lash.   Checked it often.

But they were spread though. The ones that came out the engine the 1st time Bob took it apart, many years ago.

Lem Evans

Back to top Go down

Post  BBFTorino January 30th 2020, 7:14 pm

The more expensive one's are made from a high strength alloy...like tool steel I think? In any case, I would go with a newer style that has the roller bushing instead of the needle bearings....just my opinion of course.

BBFTorino

Back to top Go down

Post  Dave De January 30th 2020, 10:35 pm

Ive gone thru three sets of rollers all had street miles with mostly 630 to 720 pounds over the nose.

First set were the comps 836's that had the "forks" spread with around 630 pounds over the nose. When the forks spread there is extra load on the bearings and they will wear out prematurely.

Second set was needle bearing morels. I got roughly three years out of them before a bearing went down. I was using Brad Penn with E85 that was determined to be a bad mix. I had found that the oil turned to jello in the pan. This was when Brad Penn issued a statement to not use their oil with E85.
This may have contributed to a bearing going down.

Third set morel bushed. Almost 3 years with limited street driving. The lifter bearings are still in great shape and may last another three years. But the cam has severe wear with a groove where the roller rides on several lobes. The roller wheels and lobes have smear lines from the roller skidding on the lobe. I noticed immediately that the torque to turn the engine over was roughly 25 ft-lbs with these bushed rollers over the previous needles. Mobil 1 oil was used thru-out the life of this package.

I need to go another direction as well especially when the morels wont oil the rockers unless you cut a groove in their lifter. I was promoting Morels for years and now I feel like an idiot doing it. Those of you that have 836's that work, you must have low spring pressures to the point of lofting the lifter over the nose or some other magic to make it last. None of my cams have been max effort and lifts were always below .750"

On a positive note Lem spec'd 2 of the 3 cams and he nailed both. The third grind was not in the same league as Lem.
Dave De
Dave De

J.Toney likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post  Copperhead January 31st 2020, 8:14 am

Lem Evans wrote:

I ran the Comp 836-16 Lifters in my A-headed 598 for 5 years,......and it had a TON of passes on it,....w/o any failures,....BUT,.....I was running the original TFS springs that were installed on my heads,....and I was very diligent about the Valve Lash.   Checked it often.

But they were spread though. The ones that came out the engine the 1st time Bob took it apart, many years ago.

Lem,...
The engine you're referring to,.....is the 557 that I bought from Seth Hembree. THIS engine has never been opened since Bob originally built it ,....back in 2014
Copperhead
Copperhead

Back to top Go down

Post  maverick532 January 31st 2020, 10:51 am

Being a bracket racer also I feel your pain , have had 2 sets of crane , and 2 sets of comp do this very thing while
using their recommended parts to complete the assembly , my advice to you is buy the best that you can afford , some people have very good service from their combo's while others don't . I switched to Isky's best bushed lifter for my combo will see how well they do , a machinist I know is having very good service from these in engines he builds for his customers . Yes more expensive they are , however what price to you put on it when you buy 2 sets of other lifters, perhaps a camshaft , or end up tearing down the whole engine again to retrieve broken parts . Just my 2 cents .

maverick532

Back to top Go down

Post  Dave De January 31st 2020, 11:54 am

maverick532 wrote:Being a bracket racer also I feel your pain , have had 2 sets of crane , and 2 sets of comp do this very thing while
using their recommended parts to complete the assembly , my advice to you is buy the best that you can afford , some people have very good service from their combo's while others don't . I switched to Isky's best bushed lifter for my combo will see how well they do , a machinist I know is having very good service from these in engines he builds for his customers . Yes more expensive they are , however what price to you put on it when you buy 2 sets of other lifters, perhaps a camshaft , or end up tearing down the whole engine again to retrieve broken parts . Just my 2 cents .

Would this be the EZ-RollX from Isky?

Dave De
Dave De

Back to top Go down

Post  Lem Evans January 31st 2020, 12:47 pm

Copperhead wrote:
Lem Evans wrote:

Lem,...
The engine you're referring to,.....is the 557 that I bought from Seth Hembree.  THIS engine has never been opened since Bob originally built it ,....back in 2014

10-4...….like I said 'manyyears ago' Smile

Lem Evans

J.Toney likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post  Copperhead January 31st 2020, 1:34 pm

Lem Evans wrote:
Copperhead wrote:
Lem Evans wrote:

Lem,...
The engine you're referring to,.....is the 557 that I bought from Seth Hembree.  THIS engine has never been opened since Bob originally built it ,....back in 2014

10-4...….like I said 'many years ago' Smile

My "lack-luster" valve train maintenance probably played a factor in that.

FWIW,...
I learned my lesson.
Wink
Copperhead
Copperhead

J.Toney likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post  maverick532 January 31st 2020, 3:51 pm

Yes 3172RHEZMAX

maverick532

Back to top Go down