BIG BLOCK FORD
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

S197 big block swap cam advice

5 posters

Go down

S197 big block swap cam advice  Empty S197 big block swap cam advice

Post  mjablonski October 31st 2019, 12:25 pm

So over the last year i have swapped a 460 big block in my 2006 mustang and when i went to install the electric water pump i found a bolt broken off in the block shocker right? Well im still working on how to get that bolt out but while i had the timing cover off i noticed my chain had stretched like crazy so it will for sure need to be replaced but i always prefer to upgrade parts when i get the chance so i was wondering if any body had an idea of a good cam i can put in it. The motor has been rebuilt its a 466 but i dont think anything fancy has been done to the bottom end as far as i know. It has a blue thunder 4500 flange dual plane intake with direct port nitrous and a 1050 dominator carb. this is my first big block so any advice tips or trick are greatly appreciated.

mjablonski

Back to top Go down

S197 big block swap cam advice  Empty Re: S197 big block swap cam advice

Post  mjablonski October 31st 2019, 12:28 pm

S197 big block swap cam advice  601a3310
S197 big block swap cam advice  8c834710

mjablonski

Back to top Go down

S197 big block swap cam advice  Empty More info.

Post  manofmerc November 1st 2019, 9:26 am

Lots more information is needed before anyone can give you cam advise .Such as is this a drag car street car road course etc. And what heads are on this engine ? also transmission and rear gearing .Get this info and someone will help you a few on this forum can offer advise and get you a custom camshaft speced for your application .Doug

manofmerc
BBF CONTRIBUTOR
BBF CONTRIBUTOR

Back to top Go down

Post  mjablonski November 3rd 2019, 3:23 pm

it will be used completely for drag racing right now its got a set of stock heads and the trans its c6 manual valve body trans with a tci 10" 3500 stall converter with a 3.73 rear gear on a set of 26x10x15 et slick also the distributor for mock up so it will be swapped out for a msd unit with a 7al box

mjablonski

Back to top Go down

Post  68galaxie November 6th 2019, 8:50 pm

Unported iron heads?
Stock cast pistons?
What cam is in it now? Stock 460?

Cheers
68galaxie
68galaxie

Back to top Go down

Post  Dave De November 6th 2019, 10:03 pm

If any amount of the broken bolt is exposed you might be able to extract it by putting a nut over it and filling the inside with weld. Do not use a zinc plated nut.
Dave De
Dave De

Back to top Go down

Post  mjablonski November 7th 2019, 12:53 am

i have already tried welding a nut on to it 3 times its in there good but i will get it out and ya they are stock heads i have no idea what the bottom end is right now i just want the car running as good as i can with this motor to get the car figured out i will then be building a separate motor on the side the car has been sitting for 3 years and i miss it so much i just want it as rowdy as i can get it by next season with out cracking the motor open further then valve train

mjablonski

Back to top Go down

Post  rbro460 November 7th 2019, 5:45 pm

mjablonski wrote:i have already tried welding a nut on to it 3 times its in there good but i will get it out and ya they are stock heads i have no idea what the bottom end is right now i just want the car running as good as i can with this motor to get the car figured out i will then be building a separate motor on the side the car has been sitting for 3 years and i miss it so much i just want it as rowdy as i can get it by next season with out cracking the motor open further then valve train

Send out, to Burn out the bolt.
rbro460
rbro460

Back to top Go down

Post  manofmerc November 8th 2019, 6:12 am

If you have a stick welder try a small stainless steel welding rod fill the inside of the nut with weld .Mig is fine too but it needs to be hot .On your cam are you wanting a hyd. flat tappet?Do you run this with open exhaust? afro

manofmerc
BBF CONTRIBUTOR
BBF CONTRIBUTOR

Back to top Go down

Post  mjablonski November 9th 2019, 11:07 pm

i would not be against going hydraulic roller if i would actually be able to utilize the benefits of it with my current setup as for exhaust its the stock truck manifolds for right now mated to a full straight pipe out the back with an x pipe

mjablonski

Back to top Go down

Post  mjablonski November 12th 2019, 11:38 pm

I just want to make this thing as rowdy as I can with what I got it’s setup for a lot of nitrous but idk how much I trust the bottom end it’s .030 over is what I was told but I didn’t verify anything

mjablonski

Back to top Go down

Post  manofmerc November 14th 2019, 5:42 am

You really need a set of headers regardless of camshaft picks .Before changing cams you could pull the one you have out and look for any part numbers it might have or find someone to check the specs. You could use a dial indicator to check the lift and not pull the camshaft .You have a nice intake a huge carb and exhaust manifolds .Something has got to go !And a it isn't the first two.Doug

manofmerc
BBF CONTRIBUTOR
BBF CONTRIBUTOR

Back to top Go down

Post  mjablonski November 14th 2019, 9:39 am

Your totally right about the headers the manifolds just aren’t gonna cut it n the long run but I’m not really much of a welder and there are no real headers that fit my application the plan was to run the truck manifolds for this year and when I build the second motor build turbo headers and not spend the money on a set for na

mjablonski

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down