BIG BLOCK FORD
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

FPA headers with Edelbrock heads

4 posters

Go down

FPA headers with Edelbrock heads Empty FPA headers with Edelbrock heads

Post  nickbay September 2nd 2019, 11:24 am

I am looking at FPA shorty headers for my 67 mustang with Edelbrock heads.
Here's the link: http://www.fordpowertrain.com/FPAindex/Mustang1.htm
They have a note saying that they are available in 429 cj flange. What's the difference?
I would prefer a smaller tube and taller exhaust port height to help clear my steering box if that matters.
Also my engine is fairly stock, small cam, Edelbrock heads, and Performer intake.
I currently have Crites long tubes which I think have the cj exhaust port but not completely sure.
So go with standard or CJ flange?
nickbay
nickbay

Back to top Go down

FPA headers with Edelbrock heads Empty Re: FPA headers with Edelbrock heads

Post  torino501 September 4th 2019, 2:11 pm

From what ive seen all eddy heads have a passenger car ex port. but the material there into port to a scj port. so it totally up to you on header fitment.

torino501

Back to top Go down

Post  nickbay September 5th 2019, 10:10 am

Thanks. In the future I may want to go to a TFS head to utilize the .270 raised exhaust port, and it looks like they require a Cobra Jet header.
So I think I should get the CJ flange which will work on the Edelbrock or the TFS head.
Does that sound right?
nickbay
nickbay

Back to top Go down

Post  torino501 September 5th 2019, 1:36 pm

I think that will work. don't forget to take into account t the .270 on header fitment

torino501

Back to top Go down

Post  nickbay September 5th 2019, 6:23 pm

torino501 wrote:I think that will work. don't forget to take into account t the .270 on header fitment

I will take that into account. The plan is to try the FPA with the Edelbrock heads first.
As I understand it the FPA headers were made for the Crites gen1 headers and I have the gen 2 headers.
The gen 2 sit the motor back and down compared to gen 1. That's why I think they may fit better with TFS heads.
It's going to be a bit of a guessing game and possibly some header tube work. I had to reorient and replace sections
of my gen 2 headers to better clear the steering box and starter so I'm used to things not fitting. I'm definitely not getting the
headers coated until everything fits. Smile Thanks.
nickbay
nickbay

Back to top Go down

Post  427John September 6th 2019, 10:51 pm

What motor mounts are you running Crites gen1 or 2?Do either of them place the engine to mate with the trans with it in the FE position?

427John

Back to top Go down

Post  nickbay September 7th 2019, 8:46 am

427John wrote:What motor mounts are you running Crites gen1 or 2?Do either of them place the engine to mate with the trans with it in the FE position?

I am running Crites gen 2. If I understand your question correctly, the 460 C6 trans ends up where an FE C6 would be length wise but I'm not sure about up and down. I think the 460 C6 ends up a bit lower at the trans crossmember end. Maybe someone else will chime in as it's been 10 years and my memory is a bit foggy on that. I don't have any vibration issues at all and I had good angles when I read them. I don't remember exactly what they were though.
nickbay
nickbay

Back to top Go down

Post  somethingclever September 10th 2019, 1:11 pm

I have FPA with GEN 2 mounts and they work....definitely tighter to the shock towers but clear is clear.

I also am converting the deal to edel heads but have not mocked that up yet but I don't expect any issue as compared to the C8 heads I was previously running.

somethingclever

Back to top Go down

Post  nickbay September 10th 2019, 8:30 pm

somethingclever wrote:I have FPA with GEN 2 mounts and they work....definitely tighter to the shock towers but clear is clear.

I also am converting the deal to edel heads but have not mocked that up yet but I don't expect any issue as compared to the C8 heads I was previously running.

Thanks for the info! I have notched shock towers so maybe clearance won't be an issue. The only decision I have to make now is to go with CJ or standard exhaust flanges. Sounds like either will work with Edelbrock heads but might be worth going to the CJ flange if I decide to change heads to a different brand with CJ flanges in the future.
nickbay
nickbay

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum