BIG BLOCK FORD
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Coolant temperature sensor location

3 posters

Go down

Coolant temperature sensor location Empty Coolant temperature sensor location

Post  btylerl April 12th 2019, 2:05 pm

I am installing Holley Hyperspark EFI on my '68 T-bird 429. Instructions say DO NOT install the coolant temp sensor (3/8 NPT) in the thermostat housing. The sensor needs constant coolant flow and the instructions suggest installing it in the intake manifold or block in a coolant channel. I have not been able to locate a good location and am looking for advice. I've looked at making an adapter kit in place of the short hose between the water pump and the intake manifold, but I don't believe there would be enough room.
Anyone have a success story for me?

btylerl

Back to top Go down

Coolant temperature sensor location Empty Re: Coolant temperature sensor location

Post  rmcomprandy April 12th 2019, 2:20 pm

btylerl wrote:I am installing Holley Hyperspark EFI on my '68 T-bird 429.  Instructions say DO NOT install the coolant temp sensor (3/8 NPT) in the thermostat housing.  The sensor needs constant coolant flow and the instructions suggest installing it in the intake manifold or block in a coolant channel.  I have not been able to locate a good location and am looking for advice.  I've looked at making an adapter kit in place of the short hose between the water pump and the intake manifold, but I don't believe there would be enough room.

Simply drill & tap a hole for a 3/8 pipe thread in the intake manifold somewhere BEFORE the bolt-on thermostat housing.

In the top crossover of the intake by the driver's side, next to the distributor, is usually a good place. Right in the front of a cylinder head also works if nothing is in the way.

rmcomprandy

http://www.rmcompetition.com

Back to top Go down

Coolant temperature sensor location Empty Re: Coolant temperature sensor location

Post  btylerl April 12th 2019, 7:05 pm

rmcomprandy wrote:
btylerl wrote:I am installing Holley Hyperspark EFI on my '68 T-bird 429.  Instructions say DO NOT install the coolant temp sensor (3/8 NPT) in the thermostat housing.  The sensor needs constant coolant flow and the instructions suggest installing it in the intake manifold or block in a coolant channel.  I have not been able to locate a good location and am looking for advice.  I've looked at making an adapter kit in place of the short hose between the water pump and the intake manifold, but I don't believe there would be enough room.

Simply drill & tap a hole for a 3/8 pipe thread in the intake manifold somewhere BEFORE the bolt-on thermostat housing.

In the top crossover of the intake by the driver's side, next to the distributor, is usually a good place. Right in the front of a cylinder head also works if nothing is in the way.

Thanks rmcomprandy! You use the term "simply" which may not apply to me, but it sounds like a good solution!

btylerl

Back to top Go down

Post  rmcomprandy April 13th 2019, 12:30 pm

btylerl wrote:
rmcomprandy wrote:

Thanks rmcomprandy!  You use the term "simply" which may not apply to me, but it sounds like a good solution!

Realistically, IF you can't "simply" drill & tap then that Hyperspark EFI system is also way over your head.

rmcomprandy

http://www.rmcompetition.com

Back to top Go down

Post  btylerl April 13th 2019, 12:46 pm

rmcomprandy wrote:
btylerl wrote:
rmcomprandy wrote:

Thanks rmcomprandy!  You use the term "simply" which may not apply to me, but it sounds like a good solution!

Realistically, IF you can't "simply" drill & tap then that Hyperspark EFI system is also way over your head.

Yeah, I just meant that drill & tap isn't something I practice daily. Can't remember the last time. Very Happy

btylerl

Back to top Go down

Post  BBFTorino April 13th 2019, 7:35 pm

Stock iron intake?

BBFTorino

Back to top Go down

Post  btylerl April 13th 2019, 7:39 pm

BBFTorino wrote:Stock iron intake?

Yes, stock intake.

btylerl

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down