BIG BLOCK FORD
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

msd distributor on duraspark ignition?

Go down

msd distributor on duraspark ignition? Empty msd distributor on duraspark ignition?

Post  racinghabbit on January 29th 2019, 6:39 pm

work on a nice 504 motor big lumpy cam (no vacuum) for my 83 f100.  And I been thinking a lot on either working over a stock distributor or trying a mechanical pro billet MSD 8580 distributor..... from what I read 3 wires on the stock dist. and the black one is just ground.  

Can I put the msd dist in my truck and make an adapter to hook up the 2 wires I need from the pickup of the MSD dist 8580. to the 2 wires in the factory harness?

I don't want to butcher in a 6al box I just want the truck to look stock with a hot motor.

thoughts.

I have used a 6al box on a ford distributor before. That's y I'm thinking I could do just the opposite.
racinghabbit
racinghabbit

Back to top Go down

msd distributor on duraspark ignition? Empty Re: msd distributor on duraspark ignition?

Post  rmcomprandy on January 29th 2019, 8:52 pm

racinghabbit wrote:work on a nice 504 motor big lumpy cam (no vacuum) for my 83 f100.  And I been thinking a lot on either working over a stock distributor or trying a mechanical pro billet MSD 8580 distributor..... from what I read 3 wires on the stock dist. and the black one is just ground.  

Can I put the msd dist in my truck and make an adapter to hook up the 2 wires I need from the pickup of the MSD dist 8580. to the 2 wires in the factory harness?

I don't want to butcher in a 6al box I just want the truck to look stock with a hot motor.

thoughts.

I have used a 6al box on a ford distributor before. That's y I'm thinking I could do just the opposite.

The MSD uses a Duraspark pick-up coil.

rmcomprandy

http://www.rmcompetition.com

Back to top Go down

msd distributor on duraspark ignition? Empty Re: msd distributor on duraspark ignition?

Post  racinghabbit on January 30th 2019, 12:03 pm

well.. same pickup coil... should be a simple wire job and go....

Is there any real benefit to having the vacuum on the dist. on a street driver?
racinghabbit
racinghabbit

Back to top Go down

Post  69F100 on January 30th 2019, 1:30 pm

It helps on street driving but on my old 69 F100 i have the vacuum unhooked the cam i have in it can't get it to run right it spark knocks bad with the vacuum hooked up I have just about to much compression for pump gas with iron heads
69F100
69F100
BBF CONTRIBUTOR
BBF CONTRIBUTOR

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum