BIG BLOCK FORD
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Cylinder Head ID Help

+3
BBFTorino
Mark Miller
ChrisGulick
7 posters

Go down

Cylinder Head ID Help Empty Cylinder Head ID Help

Post  ChrisGulick May 16th 2018, 9:09 pm

Hi everyone, so I stumbled across a set of heads so cheap it was a no brainer even though I have no idea who manufactured them. The guy I bought them from couldn't keep head gaskets from blowing so he sold them to me and ordered a new set from Edelbrock. I intend to put them on a 460 in my 1971 Mach 1 and would sure like to know their origin. The look a lot like a TrickFlow 290 but according to them these are not their product. Any Ideas ???
( unable to load photos. ((Uploaded file is not valid: exceeded attachment maxsize (0 kB).)) 0 kb ?? I guess I'll go search for a sticky on loading photos ?)

ChrisGulick

Back to top Go down

Cylinder Head ID Help Empty Re: Cylinder Head ID Help

Post  Mark Miller May 16th 2018, 11:03 pm

ChrisGulick wrote:Hi everyone, so I stumbled across a set of heads so cheap it was a no brainer even though I have no idea who manufactured them. The guy I bought them from couldn't keep head gaskets from blowing so he sold them to me and ordered a new set from Edelbrock. I intend to put them on a 460 in my 1971 Mach 1 and would sure like to know their origin. The look a lot like a TrickFlow 290 but according to them these are not their product. Any Ideas ???
( unable to load photos. ((Uploaded file is not valid: exceeded attachment maxsize (0 kB).)) 0 kb ?? I guess I'll go search for a sticky on loading photos ?)

Maybe Pro Comps if they were real cheap? Smile

Mark Miller

Back to top Go down

Post  BBFTorino May 17th 2018, 12:41 am

Pro Comps??...if you got `em for free, you paid too much!! Laughing

BBFTorino

Back to top Go down

Post  rmcomprandy May 17th 2018, 12:55 am

BBFTorino wrote:Pro Comps??...if you got `em for free, you paid too much!! Laughing

That's debatable ... the castings are decent; their hardware is trash.

rmcomprandy

http://www.rmcompetition.com

Back to top Go down

Post  dfree383 May 17th 2018, 6:24 am

rmcomprandy wrote:
BBFTorino wrote:Pro Comps??...if you got `em for free, you paid too much!! Laughing

That's debatable ... the castings are decent; their hardware is trash.

Money’s better spent on other products
dfree383
dfree383
BBF CONTRIBUTOR
BBF CONTRIBUTOR

Back to top Go down

Post  ChrisGulick May 17th 2018, 11:58 am

Thanks guys, they are indeed Pro Comps. It was a $100 gamble on the spur of the moment. I guess they'll look good hanging on the wall of my shop. Laughing

ChrisGulick

Back to top Go down

Post  dfree383 May 17th 2018, 12:11 pm

ChrisGulick wrote:Thanks guys, they are indeed Pro Comps. It was a $100 gamble on the spur of the moment. I guess they'll look good hanging on the wall of my shop. Laughing

For a hundo..... sell them for 5 hindo and put you money to work on some SCJ’s
dfree383
dfree383
BBF CONTRIBUTOR
BBF CONTRIBUTOR

Back to top Go down

Post  cobrakid8 May 17th 2018, 6:25 pm

ChrisGulick wrote:Thanks guys, they are indeed Pro Comps. It was a $100 gamble on the spur of the moment. I guess they'll look good hanging on the wall of my shop. Laughing

As Randy said they aren’t horrible castings just bad hardware. Dad has a set on a 514 he runs and it’s been 5.78 in a 2750lb tube chassis mustang. Pretty much good for some weight loss!

cobrakid8

Back to top Go down

Post  rmcomprandy May 17th 2018, 7:23 pm

For a hundred bucks you got decent castings.
Get rid of all the hardware and re-outfit them with good parts if you want big combustion chamber heads.

rmcomprandy

Back to top Go down

Post  427John May 18th 2018, 10:28 am

Randy,Cobra when ya'll are talking all hardware is that including the studs and guide plates too?Will all standard valve angle guide plates work with them?

427John

Back to top Go down

Post  dfree383 May 18th 2018, 10:33 am

427John wrote:Randy,Cobra when ya'll are talking all hardware is that including the studs and guide plates too?Will all standard valve angle guide plates work with them?

I can’t speak for the guide plates on them, but from my past experiences with Chinese rocker studs they are horrible, poor threads, off center and just over all horrible quality compared to ARP stuff.
dfree383
dfree383
BBF CONTRIBUTOR
BBF CONTRIBUTOR

Back to top Go down

Post  rmcomprandy May 18th 2018, 8:16 pm

427John wrote:Randy,Cobra when ya'll are talking all hardware is that including the studs and guide plates too?Will all standard valve angle guide plates work with them?

You can keep the guide-plates but, the studs will only be fine if you are using regular hydraulic lifter spring pressures.
Same with the moly-steel retainers but, the locks are really trash.

rmcomprandy

Back to top Go down

Post  BBFTorino May 19th 2018, 4:58 am

Well, I sure hope the big block Ford castings are okay, because a friend of mine bought some Pro Comp heads for his small block Chevy, and those POS's began cracking while he was torqueing the head bolts/studs. They may as well been made of plastic.

BBFTorino

Back to top Go down

Post  rmcomprandy May 19th 2018, 10:56 am

BBFTorino wrote:Well, I sure hope the big block Ford castings are okay, because a friend of mine bought some Pro Comp heads for his small block Chevy, and those POS's began cracking while he was torqueing the head bolts/studs. They may as well been made of plastic.

Apples & Oranges ...

rmcomprandy

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum