BIG BLOCK FORD
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

New best ET

+2
Mark Miller
nuclearcobra
6 posters

Go down

New best ET  Empty New best ET

Post  nuclearcobra May 3rd 2018, 6:14 pm

I went a few Fridays ago to a TNT finally after dropping a valve last May and cracking a guide boss in the scj head  , I figured its time to put it back together so i did and i tried a nitrous converter that i got from 10 Shots when i got the trans from him a few years back. Anyway i sent the converter to Lenny at Ultimate to change it for my 70 crank with the 1.850 pilot recess and do some upgrades he says Very Happy , The converter that was in it i bought for $300 from here to get it up and running and it was so consistent i left it in there , It was a Hughs 4000 i was told and i went a best of 9.95 leaving at 2000-2500 which at 2500 it would normally push through , best 1/8 was 6.30 once in the cold , I did spray a 150 shot doing license runs with this combo and it ran 6.13 at 111mph in the 1/8th , and later tried a 180 shot and ran a 5.96 , Well Friday with this different converter i ran 6.12 at 112mph all Motor with a 1.35 60' leaving at 2500 on the foot brake Shocked I was floored , i knew the old converter wasn't right for my combo but i never thought it was that far off , Well they called lanes close in 15 so i said what the heck let me try a 150 shot again with this new converter and i thought i was floored before Smile  well we got the pressure up to 900 which i usually have it at a 1000' but ran out of time and headed to the lanes , So i let it rip and it had a spinning 1.36 60' and ran a 5.82 at 119 mph plus in the 1/8th Very Happy Very Happy  , I did find out Saturday morning how lucky i got not destroying this motor as i never hooked up the fuel solenoid line to my fuel line much less it being a vacuum leak when it opened , Never hurt a plug or anything. So now i wonder what a 150 with fuel will do , The jetting is 62n-56f with 6 degrees timing out from 30 total and 6-1/2lb fuel pressure  , well that's what my carb is at and i just hook up to where my fuel pressure gauge port is on the line going to my back bowl. I know its cheesy but i just ordered a pump and regulator from IS two days ago and have a front cell that came in my car when i got it. All in all I'm tickled so far Its a 472, diamond flat tops , scj heads and 4150 victor intake unported,HP 950 carb 80-90 jets, flat tappet solid cam , Its a 84 mustang 2750lb with me , c6 ,28x10 slick, 8.8 with 3.90's Foot Braking , I've yet to try a trans brake but it has one in it. My goal from the get go with this combo was to see if its possible to get it in the high 8's with N2o with a simple combo , non stroker , box stock heads ,flat cam and flat tops. Had a lot of nay Sayers along the way tho from it wont happen with that compression , or without a roller cam in there , or unported heads , bla bla bla , well i think I,m close now , I'll have to use the 1/8 mile time as the 3.90's wont make it to the 1/4 plus i'm taking a real liking to this 1/8 mile stuff now that I've tried it which i was so against forever. , I just put new slicks on and wont forget to hook up that fuel line again and pressure will be 1000 this time.
nuclearcobra
nuclearcobra
BBF CONTRIBUTOR
BBF CONTRIBUTOR

Back to top Go down

New best ET  Empty Re: New best ET

Post  Mark Miller May 3rd 2018, 10:28 pm

nuclearcobra wrote:I went a few Fridays ago to a TNT finally after dropping a valve last May and cracking a guide boss in the scj head  , I figured its time to put it back together so i did and i tried a nitrous converter that i got from 10 Shots when i got the trans from him a few years back. Anyway i sent the converter to Lenny at Ultimate to change it for my 70 crank with the 1.850 pilot recess and do some upgrades he says Very Happy , The converter that was in it i bought for $300 from here to get it up and running and it was so consistent i left it in there , It was a Hughs 4000 i was told and i went a best of 9.95 leaving at 2000-2500 which at 2500 it would normally push through , best 1/8 was 6.30 once in the cold , I did spray a 150 shot doing license runs with this combo and it ran 6.13 at 111mph in the 1/8th , and later tried a 180 shot and ran a 5.96 , Well Friday with this different converter i ran 6.12 at 112mph all Motor with a 1.35 60' leaving at 2500 on the foot brake Shocked I was floored , i knew the old converter wasn't right for my combo but i never thought it was that far off , Well they called lanes close in 15 so i said what the heck let me try a 150 shot again with this new converter and i thought i was floored before Smile  well we got the pressure up to 900 which i usually have it at a 1000' but ran out of time and headed to the lanes , So i let it rip and it had a spinning 1.36 60' and ran a 5.82 at 119 mph plus in the 1/8th Very Happy Very Happy  , I did find out Saturday morning how lucky i got not destroying this motor as i never hooked up the fuel solenoid line to my fuel line much less it being a vacuum leak when it opened , Never hurt a plug or anything. So now i wonder what a 150 with fuel will do , The jetting is 62n-56f with 6 degrees timing out from 30 total and 6-1/2lb fuel pressure  , well that's what my carb is at and i just hook up to where my fuel pressure gauge port is on the line going to my back bowl. I know its cheesy but i just ordered a pump and regulator from IS two days ago and have a front cell that came in my car when i got it. All in all I'm tickled so far Its a 472, diamond flat tops , scj heads and 4150 victor intake unported,HP 950 carb 80-90 jets, flat tappet solid cam , Its a 84 mustang 2750lb with me , c6 ,28x10 slick,  8.8 with 3.90's Foot Braking , I've yet to try a trans brake but it has one in it. My goal from the get go with this combo was to see if its possible to get it in the high 8's with N2o with a simple combo , non stroker , box stock heads ,flat cam and flat tops. Had a lot of nay Sayers along the way tho from it wont happen with that compression , or without a roller cam in there , or unported heads , bla bla bla , well i think I,m close now , I'll have to use the 1/8 mile time as the 3.90's wont make it to the 1/4 plus i'm taking a real liking to this 1/8 mile stuff now that I've tried it which i was so against forever. , I just put new slicks on and wont forget to hook up that fuel line again and pressure will be 1000 this time.

Congrats I seen your nervous post on YB in the Nitrous section!!!! Smile

Mark Miller

Back to top Go down

Post  BBFTorino May 4th 2018, 4:42 am

Oh yeah!! With the fuel line hooked up and everything set, I don't see why you would not get that 8 second time slip!!
Of course ported heads and intake, and a nice roller cam would get it there a little easier, but I think you are about to get what you are after, even without those things!!
Please keep us posted on your progress!!

nuclearcobra wrote:I went a few Fridays ago to a TNT finally after dropping a valve last May and cracking a guide boss in the scj head  , I figured its time to put it back together so i did and i tried a nitrous converter that i got from 10 Shots when i got the trans from him a few years back. Anyway i sent the converter to Lenny at Ultimate to change it for my 70 crank with the 1.850 pilot recess and do some upgrades he says Very Happy , The converter that was in it i bought for $300 from here to get it up and running and it was so consistent i left it in there , It was a Hughs 4000 i was told and i went a best of 9.95 leaving at 2000-2500 which at 2500 it would normally push through , best 1/8 was 6.30 once in the cold , I did spray a 150 shot doing license runs with this combo and it ran 6.13 at 111mph in the 1/8th , and later tried a 180 shot and ran a 5.96 , Well Friday with this different converter i ran 6.12 at 112mph all Motor with a 1.35 60' leaving at 2500 on the foot brake Shocked I was floored , i knew the old converter wasn't right for my combo but i never thought it was that far off , Well they called lanes close in 15 so i said what the heck let me try a 150 shot again with this new converter and i thought i was floored before Smile  well we got the pressure up to 900 which i usually have it at a 1000' but ran out of time and headed to the lanes , So i let it rip and it had a spinning 1.36 60' and ran a 5.82 at 119 mph plus in the 1/8th Very Happy Very Happy  , I did find out Saturday morning how lucky i got not destroying this motor as i never hooked up the fuel solenoid line to my fuel line much less it being a vacuum leak when it opened , Never hurt a plug or anything. So now i wonder what a 150 with fuel will do , The jetting is 62n-56f with 6 degrees timing out from 30 total and 6-1/2lb fuel pressure  , well that's what my carb is at and i just hook up to where my fuel pressure gauge port is on the line going to my back bowl. I know its cheesy but i just ordered a pump and regulator from IS two days ago and have a front cell that came in my car when i got it. All in all I'm tickled so far Its a 472, diamond flat tops , scj heads and 4150 victor intake unported,HP 950 carb 80-90 jets, flat tappet solid cam , Its a 84 mustang 2750lb with me , c6 ,28x10 slick,  8.8 with 3.90's Foot Braking , I've yet to try a trans brake but it has one in it. My goal from the get go with this combo was to see if its possible to get it in the high 8's with N2o with a simple combo , non stroker , box stock heads ,flat cam and flat tops. Had a lot of nay Sayers along the way tho from it wont happen with that compression , or without a roller cam in there , or unported heads , bla bla bla , well i think I,m close now , I'll have to use the 1/8 mile time as the 3.90's wont make it to the 1/4 plus i'm taking a real liking to this 1/8 mile stuff now that I've tried it which i was so against forever. , I just put new slicks on and wont forget to hook up that fuel line again and pressure will be 1000 this time.

BBFTorino

Back to top Go down

Post  wayney May 4th 2018, 9:08 pm

good numbers CONGRATS!!!! 2 questions....

1. did you learn anything about nitrous ?

2. how well does the 460 fit in the mustang II ? does it still have stock front suspension ?

wayne

wayney

Back to top Go down

Post  Mark Miller May 4th 2018, 10:49 pm

wayney wrote:good numbers CONGRATS!!!!  2 questions....

1. did you learn anything about nitrous ?

2. how well does the 460 fit in the mustang II ? does it still have stock front suspension ?

wayne

He has the 460 in a 84 Mustang,IIRC he has a 302 with Nitrous in the MustangII!!!Smile

Mark Miller

Back to top Go down

Post  nuclearcobra May 5th 2018, 10:09 am

Yes the 76 mustang has a 302 the 84 has the 460 , Both have N2o
New best ET  25800228848_263742dc67_zIMG_2198 by Nuclearcobra, on Flickr
New best ET  39687820551_691c178cb6_zIMG_2195 by Nuclearcobra, on Flickr
New best ET  38978871154_e607686e57_zIMG_2200 by Nuclearcobra, on Flickr
nuclearcobra
nuclearcobra
BBF CONTRIBUTOR
BBF CONTRIBUTOR

Back to top Go down

Post  wayney May 6th 2018, 6:46 pm

ok, I wondered about how or if a 460 would fit in mustang II.

how about question 1 ?

wayney

Back to top Go down

Post  nuclearcobra May 6th 2018, 10:27 pm

Yes they stuff them in mustang 2's , I just wanna put a windsor stroker in it with my kaase canted valve heads Very Happy I have a nice windsor 396 kit i got years ago from a Good Ole Southern Georgia Motorhead named Mike Laughing , I've only had 302's in it so far and its been 5 years for one of those Rolling Eyes , I actually started on it now that my yellow car is going , I want it registered again to take cruises like old times , Had that car since 94 it was a fun little 10 second street car and does big wheel stands to boot Twisted Evil And no i doubt i learned anything , I have learned in the past to not rush hooking up N2o , especially after a year of not touching the car at all , I've learned to not F around with a bottle to show off in front of your friends while being drunk Embarassed as it lands you in the ER with a fat bill , I've learned to never trust the markings on your new damper and to mark TDC yourself because Nitrous melts cylinder heads too not just pistons and plugs Mad
nuclearcobra
nuclearcobra
BBF CONTRIBUTOR
BBF CONTRIBUTOR

Back to top Go down

Post  wayney May 9th 2018, 8:19 pm

I was referring to the theories everybody talks about that when you lean nitrous out you kill engines. Long time ago(about 1993) I experienced this first hand. Car had one fuel pump for the dominator and fogger system combined. Launched the car at the track , keys in console flew back and turned the toggle switch for the fuel pump off. car ran full throttle with the nitrous on (40 jet in the fogger) untill the float bowels ran out of fuel and motor quit running. never hurt anything in the motor. no burned pistons, no blown head gasket nothing. I like my tunes a little lean.

wayne

wayney

Back to top Go down

Post  Falcon67 May 11th 2018, 7:26 pm

Good numbers. Shows again how critical the converter is to the combination. On the 460 in a MII - most I've seen required heavy front end work and moving the frame rails 4" farther apart. Or a complete strut fab from scratch. A 302 is tight in those cars and a super tight trans tunnel. Stock flexplate is only 148 tooth IIRC.

Falcon67

Back to top Go down

New best ET  Empty suspension setup

Post  bpmustang May 14th 2018, 3:47 am

What for suspension setup are you running? I'm having a very difficult time getting mine to hook every time. Then again I am running a 275 radial tho. My combo is a little more stout and I have an IS System i'm currently installing. My setup is a 533 w/ AFR heads, solid roller, 1050 dominator. The best ET so far has been 9.24@143 N/A. My '87 coupe wheel stands like a mofo when it hooks. I run a 3.75 gear. I plan on running a 150 or so shot on mine once I get it figured out. I'm thinking it should go 8.70's on a mild tune. I'm not sure if I wanna throw a 250-300 shot to this or not. lol!

bpmustang

Back to top Go down

Post  nuclearcobra May 19th 2018, 2:04 am

Falcon67 wrote:Good numbers.  Shows again how critical the converter is to the combination. On the 460 in a MII - most I've seen required heavy front end work and moving the frame rails 4" farther apart.  Or a complete strut fab from scratch.  A 302 is tight in those cars and a super tight trans tunnel.  Stock flexplate is only 148 tooth IIRC.
Even smaller its 141 tooth.
nuclearcobra
nuclearcobra
BBF CONTRIBUTOR
BBF CONTRIBUTOR

Back to top Go down

Post  nuclearcobra May 19th 2018, 2:15 am

bpmustang wrote:What for suspension setup are you running? I'm having a very difficult time getting mine to hook every time. Then again I am running a 275 radial tho. My combo is a little more stout and I have an IS System i'm currently installing. My setup is a 533 w/ AFR heads, solid roller, 1050 dominator. The best ET so far has been 9.24@143 N/A. My '87 coupe wheel stands like a mofo when it hooks. I run a 3.75 gear. I plan on running a 150 or so shot on mine once I get it figured out. I'm thinking it should go 8.70's on a mild tune. I'm not sure if I wanna throw a 250-300 shot to this or not. lol!
Its homemade ladder bars , arb , lakewood 50/50 shocks , Dodge Omni 4 cylinder springs with air bags with stock uppers and lowers.
New best ET  42158002682_076dc2d5b7_zTeam Z anti roll bar 004 by Nuclearcobra, on Flickr
nuclearcobra
nuclearcobra
BBF CONTRIBUTOR
BBF CONTRIBUTOR

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum