BIG BLOCK FORD
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

NGK spark plugs for new build

+4
away
Curt
rmcomprandy
57ford custom
8 posters

Go down

NGK spark plugs for new build Empty NGK spark plugs for new build

Post  57ford custom April 14th 2018, 8:05 pm

How about a spark plug recomendation for my new build 11.6 to 1 compression and roller cam almost 740 lift and I want to use NGK plugs and Kasse heads with the edge for washers. this will be dynoed in a week or so better order the last minute stuff now. The plugs I have now are for the tapered seat so need new ones. Smile
57ford custom
57ford custom

Back to top Go down

NGK spark plugs for new build Empty Re: NGK spark plugs for new build

Post  rmcomprandy April 14th 2018, 8:44 pm

57ford custom wrote:How about a spark plug recomendation for my new build 11.6 to 1 compression and roller cam almost 740 lift and I want to use NGK plugs and Kasse heads with the edge for washers. this will be dynoed in a week or so better order the last minute stuff now. The plugs I have now are for the tapered seat so need new ones. Smile

BKR8EIX / 2668  ...

rmcomprandy

http://www.rmcompetition.com

Back to top Go down

Post  57ford custom April 15th 2018, 9:53 am

What make them so expensive? As they show $9.99  each at Jegs's. And why use such an expensive plug.
57ford custom
57ford custom

Back to top Go down

Post  Curt April 15th 2018, 12:45 pm

57ford custom wrote:What make them so expensive? As they show $9.99  each at Jegs's. And why use such an expensive plug.

You asked for a recommendation.

What makes them expensive,

NGK's IX Iridium Series Plugs were Designed Specifically for the Performance Enthusiast.

•Fine Wire Center Electrode Ensures High Durability and a Consistently Stable Spark
•Iridium Alloy has an Extremely High Melting Point, Perfect for Today's High-Tech, High Performance Engines
•Trivalent Metal Plating Provides Superior Anti-Corrosion and Anti-Seizing Properties
•Corrugated Ribs Prevent Flashover
•Pure Alumina Silicate Ceramic Insulator, Provides Superior Strength and Better Heat Transfer
•Copper Core Aids in Heat Removal
•Triple Seals Prevent Leakage

I would recommend these R6918B-7/6259
Curt
Curt

Back to top Go down

Post  57ford custom April 15th 2018, 1:42 pm

Curt thank you for your answer but way way out of my income range and the only way a spark plug that freaking expensive is if they make way more hp over something in my price range. This is a bracket/street engine and in no way needs something that spendy (yes I am from the midwest) Shocked
57ford custom
57ford custom

Back to top Go down

Post  rmcomprandy April 15th 2018, 4:36 pm

57ford custom wrote:Curt thank you for your answer but way way out of my income range and the only way a spark plug that freaking expensive is if they make way more hp over something in my price range. This is a bracket/street engine and in no way needs something that spendy (yes I am from the midwest) Shocked

The iridium IX fine wire plugs WILL make slightly more power over a longer period of time so, will need to be changed less often.  Especially when an ignition system is marginal or the mixture is not perfect.

You get what you pay for ... I gave the recommendation of the best NGK spark plug available for your application but, it appears you want cheaper ones so, the "V" power plugs BKR7E-11 / 5791  will be adequate and available at most parts stores who carry NGK.

Personally, I don't see 30 bucks for 4 spark plugs from Amazon as being to expensive.

rmcomprandy

Back to top Go down

Post  57ford custom April 15th 2018, 6:23 pm

Jegs wanted 39.00 bucks apiece and after I got off the floor I called them and the guy I talked to was even nice enough to check other places for me and found them a little cheaper but not enough for me. You found them on amazon 15 bucks apiece!!!! That is quite a difference from Jeg's. I will check the other ones you mentioned.
57ford custom
57ford custom

Back to top Go down

Post  rmcomprandy April 15th 2018, 10:57 pm

57ford custom wrote:Jegs wanted 39.00 bucks apiece and after I got off the floor I called them and the guy I talked to was even nice enough to check other places for me and found them a little cheaper but not enough for me. You found them on amazon 15 bucks apiece!!!! That is quite a difference from Jeg's. I will check the other ones you mentioned.

The Gold & Platinum plugs might be that much.
Those original BKR8EIX iridium plugs I mentioned are 27 bucks and change from a lot of places and Amazon is one of them, FOR A PACKAGE OF 4 ...  $56.82 for a package 8 which they were out of.
I just bought 2 packages of 4 this past Thursday for 60 some bucks, INCLUDING shipping.

rmcomprandy

Back to top Go down

Post  Curt April 16th 2018, 9:07 am

57ford custom wrote:Jegs wanted 39.00 bucks apiece and after I got off the floor I called them and the guy I talked to was even nice enough to check other places for me and found them a little cheaper but not enough for me. You found them on amazon 15 bucks apiece!!!! That is quite a difference from Jeg's. I will check the other ones you mentioned.

I think the Jegs deal was for (1) box of 4 on the ones that Randy suggested.

You could always go with a BR7ES or BR8ES or even the cheaper HS. Randy is suggesting an 8 heat range, while I would probably run a 7.
Curt
Curt

Back to top Go down

Post  away April 16th 2018, 9:12 am

I run R5671A-8/4554
away
away

Back to top Go down

Post  t-bird racer April 16th 2018, 11:07 am

I run R5671A-8/4554

ME too.
t-bird racer
t-bird racer

Back to top Go down

Post  gt350hr April 16th 2018, 12:21 pm

+2 about $3 a piece. No expensive metal used. No need for a 100,000 mile plug in a race car. IMHO anyway.

gt350hr

Back to top Go down

Post  away April 16th 2018, 1:53 pm

gt350hr wrote:+2 about $3 a piece. No expensive metal used. No need for a 100,000 mile plug in a race car. IMHO anyway.

And not only that I run Alky so I don't remember the last time I changed plugs lol!!!!!
away
away

Back to top Go down

Post  Curt April 16th 2018, 2:56 pm

away wrote:
gt350hr wrote:+2 about $3 a piece. No expensive metal used. No need for a 100,000 mile plug in a race car. IMHO anyway.

And not only that I run Alky so I don't remember the last time I changed plugs lol!!!!!

The appearance of clean burning should not be your only guide. Any time the electrode loses it sharp edge, you should be putting new plugs in for the highest efficiency. It may still spark if it's rounded, but most racecars have expensive ignition systems, and it's not worth it to make them overwork to fire the fuel.

If I have $1.99 spark plugs on board, they're coming out every time I flood the motor or 30 passes which ever comes first.
Curt
Curt

Back to top Go down

Post  rmcomprandy April 16th 2018, 3:43 pm

I have witnessed 50 horsepower on the dyno between different spark plugs.

The engine seemed to be running perfect and we changed jetting, valve lash and even the entire carb with no favorable rusults. Installed a NEW set of spark plugs and like magic the power came back.

A few years later but, just a few years ago at the Ford Race in Hardensburg, Harold Webster's car was a 6 flat car but, was running consistent 6.30's. No miss was evident so he about changes everything and rolled his eyes when I told him to get new spark plugs.   After they tried changing a few more things having no better results, I went to the parts store and got some STREET car plugs and almost had to force him to let me install them.
Somebody else installed them and he immediately went 6.02 ... case closed.

rmcomprandy

Back to top Go down

Post  Mark Miller April 16th 2018, 11:09 pm

rmcomprandy wrote:I have witnessed 50 horsepower on the dyno between different spark plugs.

The engine seemed to be running perfect and we changed jetting, valve lash and even the entire carb with no favorable rusults. Installed a NEW set of spark plugs and like magic the power came back.

A few years later but, just a few years ago at the Ford Race in Hardensburg, Harold Webster's car was a 6 flat car but, was running consistent 6.30's. No miss was evident so he about changes everything and rolled his eyes when I told him to get new spark plugs.   After they tried changing a few more things having no better results, I went to the parts store and got some STREET car plugs and almost had to force him to let me install them.
Somebody else installed them and he immediately went 6.02 ... case closed.

Nice,they do sell new plugs so they must wear out!!!! Smile

Mark Miller

Back to top Go down

Post  BBFTorino April 17th 2018, 1:32 am

That is what I'm thinking!!.....OP is not building a Pro Stocker!! LOL.

BBFTorino

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum