BIG BLOCK FORD
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

piston ring choice and preferred ring seat/breakin time ?

4 posters

Go down

piston ring choice and preferred ring seat/breakin time ? Empty piston ring choice and preferred ring seat/breakin time ?

Post  Smasher O'Brannan August 13th 2009, 6:34 pm

whats the pros/cons of moly rings vs cast iron rings?.......Or the moly rings worth it?......also what is the usual recommendation for ring seat/breakin?.....I hear the rings should seat before the cam is even broke in correct?.....and I've also heard 1500-2000 mile break-in period and then I've heard around 500 or so miles.....What kind of Rpm should you maintain or avoid during the breakin cycle?......
Smasher O'Brannan
Smasher O'Brannan

Back to top Go down

piston ring choice and preferred ring seat/breakin time ? Empty Re: piston ring choice and preferred ring seat/breakin time ?

Post  billandlori August 13th 2009, 8:52 pm

Cool coat of arms by the way!!

I think that the rings usually seat pretty quick. The cam break-in is the first 20-30 minutes at 2000-2500. The the next few hundred miles should be driven without holding it at a constatnt RPM for long, vary it around a bunch. Drive along easy for a while THEN GIVER HELL, repeat.

Bill
billandlori
billandlori

Back to top Go down

piston ring choice and preferred ring seat/breakin time ? Empty Re: piston ring choice and preferred ring seat/breakin time ?

Post  bruno August 13th 2009, 8:59 pm

PISTON RINGS
Piston rings require a break-in procedure to ensure seating of
rings to cylinder walls. Serious damage may occur to rings if
correct procedures are not followed.

Extremely high piston ring temperatures are obtained during
break-in process. If rings are exposed to excessively high RPM
or high cylinder pressures, ring damage can occur. Follow piston
ring manufacturer's recommended break-in procedure

www.OakleyMotorsports.com
www.Induction-Solutions.com
www.bfevansraceparts.com
www.ultimateconverter.com
www.keithfulpmotorsports.com
bruno
bruno

http://WWW.CKRME.COM

Back to top Go down

Post  Greg_P August 13th 2009, 10:08 pm

Modern rings are broken in just about by the time you get the thing fired up IMHO. Iron rings are better, moly rings might take a minute or two extra, but if the car is set up with the correct ring gaps and the correct cylinder wall finish, ring breakin worries are a thing of the past.

Fire it up, break in the cam (if needed), run the valves, go racing.

Greg
Greg_P
Greg_P

Back to top Go down

Post  Smasher O'Brannan August 14th 2009, 10:26 am

Thanks to all who answered this post....Great information from a good sight that I hope goes "great" site! alien
Smasher O'Brannan
Smasher O'Brannan

Back to top Go down

Post  Smasher O'Brannan August 14th 2009, 10:28 am

billandlori wrote:Cool coat of arms by the way!!

I think that the rings usually seat pretty quick. The cam break-in is the first 20-30 minutes at 2000-2500. The the next few hundred miles should be driven without holding it at a constatnt RPM for long, vary it around a bunch. Drive along easy for a while THEN GIVER HELL, repeat.

Bill

Thanks!!......Been in the family for years...........LITERALLY!!!!!!.......HAHAAHAHAHAHAA!!!!! king
Smasher O'Brannan
Smasher O'Brannan

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum