BIG BLOCK FORD
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Timing bounce

+5
pmrphil
BOSS 429
BBFTorino
rmcomprandy
Tore
9 posters

Go down

Timing bounce Empty Timing bounce

Post  Tore November 11th 2017, 10:45 pm

What causes Timing Bounce. I see I have some total timing bounce . I have an MSD Dist with light springs in it. A Light Blue and a thin silver.
Any ideas??? Idea

Tore
Tore
Tore

Back to top Go down

Timing bounce Empty Re: Timing bounce

Post  rmcomprandy November 12th 2017, 12:26 am

Tore wrote:What causes Timing Bounce.  I see I have some total timing bounce . I have an MSD Dist with light springs in it.  A Light Blue and a thin silver.
Any ideas??? Idea

Tore

Timing usually does not bounce upon acceleration or deceleration but, steady state has all the hysteresis of the timing set and the backlash of the distributor gears bouncing back and forth.

That bouncing is usually what is experienced when viewing ignition timing. Steady ignition timing being present is the main benefit of a crank triggered ignition.

rmcomprandy

http://www.rmcompetition.com

Back to top Go down

Post  BBFTorino November 12th 2017, 3:14 am

Loose or sloppy timing chain will do it.

BBFTorino

Back to top Go down

Post  BOSS 429 November 12th 2017, 9:51 am

worn gear, bad coil, loose shaft in dist. loose chain,bad wire, bad plug,or a short can all do this
BOSS 429
BOSS 429

Back to top Go down

Post  pmrphil November 12th 2017, 9:58 am

wear on the cam retaining thrust plate, and distributor gear wear are both common factors

pmrphil

Back to top Go down

Post  Lem Evans November 12th 2017, 11:49 am

Tore wrote:What causes Timing Bounce.  I see I have some total timing bounce . I have an MSD Dist with light springs in it.  A Light Blue and a thin silver.
Any ideas??? Idea

Tore

At what RPM?

Lem Evans

http://bfevansraceparts.com

Back to top Go down

Post  norm November 12th 2017, 2:47 pm

Do you have a MSD ignition box too? Is the timing light compatible with a MSD? Incompatible timing lights can make the light jump around.
norm
norm

Back to top Go down

Post  Tore November 12th 2017, 3:15 pm

Lem Evans wrote:
Any ideas??? Idea

Tore

At what RPM?
I really don't know what RPM as I was setting total timing and see it when I am at a steady RPM Not under load.

Tore
Tore
Tore

Back to top Go down

Post  Tore November 12th 2017, 3:16 pm

norm wrote:Do you have a MSD ignition box too? Is the timing light compatible with a MSD? Incompatible timing lights can make the light jump around.

I have a Summit Ign box its the better of the two Summit sells.
I never knew a Timing light wasn't compatible with any ign.

Tore
Tore
Tore

Back to top Go down

Post  FalconEh November 12th 2017, 5:12 pm

Yes, timing light can be affected by hi energy ignitions, msd sells a timing light. If you are using the magnetic pickup make sure you twist the wires and cover with loom as they can/will arc, you can check if that is the issue by using the second trigger wire instead of the magnetic (do not use both) and see if the problem goes away. It should be all in around 2750 with those springs and if you are in that range it could be fluttering with the rpm between 2500-2750 as that is where the springs will give in.
FalconEh
FalconEh

Back to top Go down

Post  Dave De November 13th 2017, 7:08 pm

FalconEh wrote:Yes, timing light can be affected by hi energy ignitions, msd sells a timing light. If you are using the magnetic pickup make sure you twist the wires and cover with loom as they can/will arc, you can check if that is the issue by using the second trigger wire instead of the magnetic (do not use both) and see if the problem goes away. It should be all in around 2750 with those springs and if you are in that range it could be fluttering with the rpm between 2500-2750 as that is where the springs will give in.

All these are possible causes.
I'm seeing my chains stretch too much after 2 years using the FRPP chain set. Is there something better?
Dave De
Dave De

Back to top Go down

Post  Lem Evans November 13th 2017, 9:01 pm

Tore wrote:
Lem Evans wrote:
Any ideas??? Idea

Tore

At what RPM?
I really don't know what RPM as I was setting total timing and see it when I am at a steady RPM Not under load.

Tore

No more that you have ran  the engine I'd hate to think that it was a super sloppy timing chain.

I'd install both of the light silver springs AND the black bushing. Make sure the advance mechanism is smooth and free while it's in your hands. It may not be THE answer but, it'll be free and you'll know where not to look if it does not help.

Lem Evans

http://bfevansraceparts.com

Back to top Go down

Post  pmrphil November 14th 2017, 9:20 am

Probably should check the RPM at which the timing was set at - might just not be at full advance yet. I'd start there.

pmrphil

Back to top Go down

Post  Tore November 14th 2017, 5:48 pm

Lem Evans wrote:
Tore wrote:
Lem Evans wrote:
Any ideas??? Idea

Tore

At what RPM?

Tore

No more that you have ran  the engine I'd hate to think that it was a super sloppy timing chain.

I'd install both of the light silver springs AND the black bushing. Make sure the advance mechanism is smooth and free while it's in your hands. It may not be THE answer but, it'll be free and you'll know where not to look if it does not help.

Thanks Lem I will try that.
Tore
Tore

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down