BIG BLOCK FORD
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

air compressor / sandblaster question

+3
jeffgfg
jasonf
JBR-3
7 posters

Go down

air compressor / sandblaster question Empty air compressor / sandblaster question

Post  JBR-3 September 29th 2017, 8:01 pm

Last edited by JBR-3 on September 20th 2020, 1:34 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : .)

JBR-3

Back to top Go down

air compressor / sandblaster question Empty Re: air compressor / sandblaster question

Post  jasonf September 30th 2017, 11:47 am

How many cfm does the compressor put out. HP doesn't tell you anything. What type of sand blaster are you wanting to use as that effects a lot as well. A big commercial unit puts out way more then you will ever be able to get in your garage but for the small pot units I have seen 20 cfm seems like a minimum. I have a 80 gal Champion 2, 5 hp that puts out 19 cfm and it keeps up with my media blast cabinet but it runs non stop. The 7.5 hp unit puts out 24 cfm. A 10 hp compressor is quite large and quite a bit of cheddar.. at least for a quality unit.

http://www.tptools.com/Champion-5HP-2-Stage-80-Gal-Air-Compressor,6248.html?b=d*8065
jasonf
jasonf
BBF CONTRIBUTOR
BBF CONTRIBUTOR

Back to top Go down

air compressor / sandblaster question Empty Re: air compressor / sandblaster question

Post  JBR-3 September 30th 2017, 2:35 pm

Last edited by JBR-3 on September 20th 2020, 1:35 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : .)

JBR-3

Back to top Go down

Post  jeffgfg October 1st 2017, 10:09 am

Go to www.tptools.com they have great info on blasting and compressors. You might want to go with soda blasting as it is very safe on body panels and trim. also check out dustlessblasting.com. hope this helps!!!

jeffgfg

Back to top Go down

Post  nickpohlaandp October 21st 2017, 1:05 pm

Only use sand on heavy gooped up areas. Use soda or poly media if you’re just trying to remove paint. The sand will heat up the metal and you’ll be left with a wavy car.... learned that one the hard way.

nickpohlaandp

Back to top Go down

Post  bbf-falcon October 24th 2017, 10:58 am

My 7.5 hp ingersoll Rand compressor is 22.5 cfm. It does ok but runs alot using sand with a large nozzle.Glass beader it does great.You will regret using sand for a car body. Soda is the best media for that.

bbf-falcon

Back to top Go down

Post  nickpohlaandp October 24th 2017, 11:06 am

bbf-falcon wrote:You will regret using sand for a car body. Soda is the best media for that.

^^^AGREED!

bbf-falcon, have you ever tried poly media? I have access to a poly media blaster at my work which I’ve used quite a bit. It takes paint off in a flash, and it’s non-abrasive. It won’t really do anything for corrosion, but it makes paint go bye bye FAST. The booth is set up and fed with a Quincy compressor unit that I’m still convinced works on black magic. The compressor part is outside and it’ll pump up 2 1000 gallons n tanks to 160 psi in about two minutes and you can’t even hear it running even if you’re standing next to it. I don’t know if poly media required more CFM to work or what, just know this booth we have is awesome.

nickpohlaandp

Back to top Go down

Post  Doug Rahn October 24th 2017, 1:18 pm

Your best option is to find someone who has started their own Dustless Blasting business https://www.dustlessblasting.com/. I have personally seen the result used on car doors and this process will not warp the sheetmetal. They used recycled glass and water with a rust inhibitor so it doesn't flash rust when done. Plus they are mobile, so they can come to you.
Doug Rahn
Doug Rahn
BBF CONTRIBUTOR
BBF CONTRIBUTOR

http://www.cardomain.com/ride/228081

Back to top Go down

Post  nickpohlaandp October 24th 2017, 2:14 pm

Doug Rahn wrote:Your best option is to find someone who has started their own Dustless Blasting business https://www.dustlessblasting.com/. I have personally seen the result used on car doors and this process will not warp the sheetmetal. They used recycled glass and water with a rust inhibitor so it doesn't flash rust when done. Plus they are mobile, so they can come to you.

I was mesmerized for a good 45 minutes one Saturday morning when there was an infomercial or something along those lines for the dustless blasting deal. That has to be the coolest "blasting" method I've ever seen.

nickpohlaandp

Back to top Go down

Post  HorsinAround October 24th 2017, 2:23 pm

nickpohlaandp wrote:
Doug Rahn wrote:Your best option is to find someone who has started their own Dustless Blasting business https://www.dustlessblasting.com/. I have personally seen the result used on car doors and this process will not warp the sheetmetal. They used recycled glass and water with a rust inhibitor so it doesn't flash rust when done. Plus they are mobile, so they can come to you.

I was mesmerized for a good 45 minutes one Saturday morning when there was an infomercial or something along those lines for the dustless blasting deal. That has to be the coolest "blasting" method I've ever seen.

^^^^^^^^^Agreed,

I sent in for their pricing, and well, I don't have one lol. I don't see the ROI in my area unless uncle sam will let me amortize it out over 30 years.
HorsinAround
HorsinAround

http://www.frontpagefab.com

Back to top Go down

Post  nickpohlaandp October 24th 2017, 2:40 pm

HorsinAround wrote:
nickpohlaandp wrote:

^^^^^^^^^Agreed,

I sent in for their pricing, and well, I don't have one lol. I don't see the ROI in my area unless uncle sam will let me amortize it out over 30 years.

Google Dustless Blasting in your area. I never thought of that, but I just did and it turns out there's a guy about 45 minutes away from me that does it. You never know 'til you look.

nickpohlaandp

Back to top Go down

Post  JBR-3 October 24th 2017, 9:00 pm

Last edited by JBR-3 on September 20th 2020, 1:35 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : .)

JBR-3

Back to top Go down

Post  nickpohlaandp October 24th 2017, 9:14 pm

JBR-3 wrote:Hey thanks guys.

Around here, NW Washington, it's about $1500 to blast a hulk with no doors/fenders/etc, inside and out.
A brand new 10-hp compressor is at least $3000.

I'm really tempted to buy the compressor but then I still need to build a big walk-in blast-n-collect cabinet.

I read about the dustless method, but evidently it is not perfect either.

I'm undecided but I'm not ready for it yet anyway. If I buy a compressor, at least I have a bigass compressor
and then I can still be wishy-washy on the rest.

Look into the poly media. I don’t think it’s crazy expensive, and it’s very lightweight so you’ll get a lot of bang for your CFM. As far as building a cheap collecting enclosure, think McGuyver. PVC frame, blue tarps, and use air filters like what you use in your home A/C unit mounted on the top for ventilation. Not the best in the world, but it’ll get the job done once for less than $200

nickpohlaandp

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down