BIG BLOCK FORD
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

oil accumulator question with regards to oil pressure.

+8
D. Sea
SandHillsHillbilly
Gary Blair
Lem Evans
BOSS 429
rmcomprandy
away
BigRigTech
12 posters

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

oil accumulator question with regards to oil pressure. - Page 2 Empty Re: oil accumulator question with regards to oil pressure.

Post  hienergy557 June 27th 2017, 10:23 pm

Gary Blair wrote:
BigRigTech wrote:Well that clears that up. Very Happy I'm on vacation starting Thursday but I won't be home to mess with the car until at least July 4th and I hope to race July 7-9th if I can finish it up. I'll post my findings.

When your pressure drops you will loose flow and pressure at the rear #5 main first. The rear pressure port is best for the accumulator.

If you where to plumb the accumulator to the rear port, #1 main will see pressure/flow drop first!
It's going to be either #1 or #5.
I have mine plumbed in to the front. IF the pump looses pressure the accumulator take over.
hienergy557
hienergy557

Back to top Go down

oil accumulator question with regards to oil pressure. - Page 2 Empty Re: oil accumulator question with regards to oil pressure.

Post  BOSS 429 June 27th 2017, 10:36 pm

good luck
BOSS 429
BOSS 429

Back to top Go down

Post  D. Sea June 28th 2017, 8:10 am

My accumulator is plumbed to the back with -8 AN teflon innertube steel braided hose. Works for me.
D. Sea
D. Sea

Back to top Go down

Post  BigRigTech June 28th 2017, 8:57 am

I have my oil pressure gauge sender at the rear of the block, the low pressure sender for my red pro light at the port in the front of of the block and and the accumulator hooked to a sandwich plate adapter at the oil filter mount. I just went by the instructions that came with it from Moroso.
BigRigTech
BigRigTech

Back to top Go down

Post  cool40 June 28th 2017, 9:14 am

I've never ran one so I missed all this excitement. Laughing
cool40
cool40
BBF CONTRIBUTOR
BBF CONTRIBUTOR

Back to top Go down

Post  rmcomprandy June 28th 2017, 9:39 am

BigRigTech wrote:I have my oil pressure gauge sender at the rear of the block, the low pressure sender for my red pro light at the port in the front of of the block and and the accumulator hooked to a sandwich plate adapter at the oil filter mount. I just went by the instructions that came with it from Moroso.

A sandwich plate will put the location of the accumulator BEFORE the filter even.  Not a good place for it to be; having to push oil through the filter in order to get to the engine.

It should definitely be plumbed directly into the engine oil system AFTER the filter.

rmcomprandy

http://www.rmcompetition.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Lem Evans June 28th 2017, 10:05 am

cool40 wrote:I've never ran one so I missed all this excitement. Laughing

The need for such is generally over stated.

Lem Evans

http://bfevansraceparts.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Lem Evans June 28th 2017, 10:08 am

How many of you guys have both the pressure gauge and a accumulator at the rear of the engine?

Lem Evans

http://bfevansraceparts.com

Back to top Go down

Post  SandHillsHillbilly June 28th 2017, 1:06 pm

Since there seems to be a difference of opinion on using front or rear, why not use both? A 10 line from the accumulator to a Y or better yet a parallel Y with 10 going to the front and 8 going to the rear.
SandHillsHillbilly
SandHillsHillbilly

Back to top Go down

Post  83Capri June 28th 2017, 10:09 pm

SandHillsHillbilly wrote:Since there seems to be a difference of opinion on using front or rear, why not use both?  A 10 line from the accumulator to a Y or better yet a parallel Y with 10 going to the front and 8 going to the rear.

woah, go easy there. That sounds an awful lot like a compromise to quell the tempers of the masses.
83Capri
83Capri

Back to top Go down

Post  BigRigTech June 28th 2017, 10:18 pm

rmcomprandy wrote:
BigRigTech wrote:I have my oil pressure gauge sender at the rear of the block, the low pressure sender for my red pro light at the port in the front of of the block and and the accumulator hooked to a sandwich plate adapter at the oil filter mount. I just went by the instructions that came with it from Moroso.

A sandwich plate will put the location of the accumulator BEFORE the filter even.  Not a good place for it to be; having to push oil through the filter in order to get to the engine.

It should definitely be plumbed directly into the engine oil system AFTER the filter.

OK, now is the time to move the line to the front port and put a T in the rear for the two sending units.
BigRigTech
BigRigTech

Back to top Go down

Post  rmcomprandy June 28th 2017, 10:53 pm

BigRigTech wrote:

OK, now is the time to move the line to the front port and put a T in the rear for the two sending units.

Or, put the sending units in the front and the accumulator in the rear. I have seen both locations work well.
The front has a bigger hole unless you drill and tap the rear larger.

rmcomprandy

http://www.rmcompetition.com

Back to top Go down

Post  BigRigTech June 29th 2017, 6:44 am

the front is the easier option seeing as the hole is already larger NPT and the hose will reach it. Wink
BigRigTech
BigRigTech

Back to top Go down

Post  D. Sea June 29th 2017, 8:11 am

Lem Evans wrote:How many of you guys have both the pressure gauge and a accumulator at the rear of the engine?

"Raises hand"
D. Sea
D. Sea

Back to top Go down

Post  glenevans June 29th 2017, 1:25 pm

I'm installing a system soon, was seeing low pressure towards end of strip (deep front sump with baffled pan and screen type windage tray). Kaase pump.

glenevans

Back to top Go down

Post  BigRigTech July 2nd 2017, 5:13 pm

So I moved the supply hose to the port in front of the block and moved the pro lite sender to the rear with my gauge sender. I primed the system again with the drill and now I see the normal pressure I had before and it pushes the oil into the engine much faster. I filled the accumulator and shut the switch off. I now have the normal amount of oil on the stick again too and that's with 10l still in there. Once I get some fuel tomorrow I'll fire it up to see how it acts without the sandwich plate. Thanks for the help guys.
BigRigTech
BigRigTech

Back to top Go down

Post  BigRigTech July 4th 2017, 10:03 pm

All is well, I ran the car today and the oil pressure is back to where it was before the accumulator. It also pressurizes the block much quicker now too. I'm getting the front end of the old heap lined up in the morning and weather permitting I'll be racing this weekend for the first time this season. Cool
BigRigTech
BigRigTech

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2