BIG BLOCK FORD
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Oiling problems with Morel lifters?

+7
Scott Foxwell
Paul Kane
jbozzelle
rmcomprandy
norm
Lem Evans
fastashley
11 posters

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

Oiling problems with Morel lifters? - Page 2 Empty Re: Oiling problems with Morel lifters?

Post  Curt February 27th 2017, 1:48 pm

fastashley wrote:Im trying a dry sump for the first time. Maybe I'll just turn the pump really fast by hand to prime it  Smile

I use a right angle drill to prime my dry sump pump. DO NOT use an impact!!!!
Curt
Curt

Back to top Go down

Oiling problems with Morel lifters? - Page 2 Empty Re: Oiling problems with Morel lifters?

Post  Lem Evans February 27th 2017, 9:54 pm

Let's move the lifter subject to 385 Ford lifter oiling 'challenges' rather than 'problems' in order not to offend any lifter mfr.

I wonder why Keith Fulp's .937" units, on the right, have a kitty cat scratch from the orfice to the oil band....as delivered.

Oiling problems with Morel lifters? - Page 2 FulplifterMedium_zps0390f898

I wonder why these Crane Ultra Pro lifters have a relief machined between the oil source and the orfice.

Oiling problems with Morel lifters? - Page 2 Crane003Medium_zpsd3d62c6a

I wonder why these Crower lifters have the holes rotated 90* and a thru hole facing front and back....oil feed removed from a thrust side.

Oiling problems with Morel lifters? - Page 2 IMG_0018_zpsjv7eex4j

The rotated dual entry thing has be around for decades.........pic of Comp 836 lifter.

Oiling problems with Morel lifters? - Page 2 836comp

Lem Evans

http://bfevansraceparts.com

Back to top Go down

Post  IDT-572 February 28th 2017, 12:01 am

It's always seemed to be a deal where, here is where the oil is coming from, and where, on the lifter is it going too..........

Which one was the best way? One of them? All? None? Don't matter, deal is they got the oil where it needed to be and it works.

Thing is, the manufactures that made it to where a customer that was just replacing lifters and didn't know the oiling intricacies of the 460, didn't get in trouble.

If someone had modified a set of lifters that didn't have this fix, and the next person that replaced them with the same brand set, didn't notice and started the engine, starving the top end of oil, probably hurt at a minimum some push rods.
IDT-572
IDT-572
BBF CONTRIBUTOR
BBF CONTRIBUTOR

Back to top Go down

Post  Scott Foxwell February 28th 2017, 9:05 am

IDT-572 wrote:It's always seemed to be a deal where, here is where the oil is coming from, and where, on the lifter is it going too..........

Which one was the best way? One of them? All?  None?  Don't matter, deal is they got the oil where it needed to be and it works.

Thing is, the manufactures that made it to where a customer that was just replacing lifters and didn't know the oiling intricacies of the 460, didn't get in trouble.  

If someone had modified a set of lifters that didn't have this fix, and the next person that replaced them with the same brand set, didn't notice and started the engine, starving the top end of oil, probably hurt at a minimum some push rods.  
I've seen guys arbitrarily do this mod and end up FLOODING the top end with oil. Then there's the argument whether or not that's a good thing. A friend of mine does it intentionally on a drag race deal stating, "who wants all that oil in the pan?" and he has a good point. He says he likes having all that oil in the top end keeping valve springs cool and less oil in the pan = hp. Granted, this is a big HP 10.5 deal and dedicated track engine.
It's amazing how much oil that little groove will move.

Scott Foxwell

Back to top Go down

Post  rmcomprandy February 28th 2017, 10:03 am

Scott Foxwell wrote:
IDT-572 wrote:It's always seemed to be a deal where, here is where the oil is coming from, and where, on the lifter is it going too..........

Which one was the best way? One of them? All?  None?  Don't matter, deal is they got the oil where it needed to be and it works.

I've seen guys arbitrarily do this mod and end up FLOODING the top end with oil. Then there's the argument whether or not that's a good thing. A friend of mine does it intentionally on a drag race deal stating, "who wants all that oil in the pan?" and he has a good point. He says he likes having all that oil in the top end keeping valve springs cool and less oil in the pan = hp. Granted, this is a big HP 10.5 deal and dedicated track engine.
It's amazing how much oil that little groove will move.

When I have done a similar modification, (because a customer insisted upon it), I use an old carbide "point" file and just swipe about a .002" flat at that point.

rmcomprandy

http://www.rmcompetition.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2