BIG BLOCK FORD
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

C6 2-3 flare

+4
J.Toney
Gregaust
whitefield
460bronco
8 posters

Go down

C6 2-3 flare Empty C6 2-3 flare

Post  460bronco November 5th 2016, 6:33 pm

I have a broader reverse manual valve body and billet r code servo. Seems the trans has picked up a little flare when shifting from 2nd to 3rd on the strip under wide open throttle. What are some possible causes of this and where do I need to start looking?

Jon
460bronco
460bronco

Back to top Go down

C6 2-3 flare Empty Re: C6 2-3 flare

Post  whitefield November 5th 2016, 8:11 pm

460bronco wrote:I have a broader reverse manual valve body and billet r code servo.  Seems the trans has picked up a little flare when shifting from 2nd to 3rd on the strip under wide open throttle.  What are some possible causes of this and where do I need to start looking?

Jon

Direct clutch pack clearance loose also needs to have all of the return springs in it if it doesn't have them in it already. Band adjustment to loose, or servo is sticking in bore or return spring is week. Fluid psi , level, and condition check first then band adjustment.

When the trans was built did you use Teflon sealing rings through out ? It could be the cast iron sealing rings loosing psi .
whitefield
whitefield

Back to top Go down

Post  460bronco November 5th 2016, 10:21 pm

Just what I needed! Trans has been together about a season. Doesn't have all the springs in it--- and we built it with teflon throughout. Thanks for the direction!
460bronco
460bronco

Back to top Go down

Post  Gregaust November 6th 2016, 2:16 am

What band setting did you use? A tighten up may help. If I recall they are setup pretty loose on the band adjustment?
What direct clutch clearance did you use?
Also a Sonnax servo? Was the larger part of the piston machined as per Franks instructions ? I have had to machine every one I've used they are all tight.
E servo lever?

On the direct return springs I've been ok with the 10 or 12 , I only use all 18 with Franks valvebodies .

Gregaust

Back to top Go down

Post  J.Toney November 10th 2016, 1:44 pm

What line pressure does it make currently? Had a similar issue and got in touch with Jay, decided to up the line pressure a bit. Much better.
J.Toney
J.Toney

Back to top Go down

Post  gt350hr November 15th 2016, 6:54 pm

Greg,
       I was told that slow release of the high gear clutches on a trans brake application ( when the brake was released) caused them to wear fast and cause a 2-3 flare, What are your thoughts?

gt350hr

Back to top Go down

Post  Gregaust November 16th 2016, 6:12 am

I guess that could be a cause . Usually transbrakes use all 18 return springs to overcome that .
Frank may be more assistance there , I only use his Transbrakes and there are no issues with clutches .

Gregaust

Back to top Go down

Post  rmcomprandy November 16th 2016, 10:53 am

Gregaust wrote:I guess that could be a cause . Usually transbrakes use all 18 return springs to overcome that .
Frank may be more assistance there , I only use his Transbrakes and there are no issues with clutches .

YES ... only remove some direct clutch return springs with NON Trans Brake applications.

On non trans brake applications, the band is usually dis-engaging to fast or the direct clutch is not fully applying fast enough; (or a combination of the two).

rmcomprandy

http://www.rmcompetition.com

Back to top Go down

C6 2-3 flare Empty 2-3 flare

Post  manofmerc November 17th 2016, 6:29 am

In Franks instruction sheet he says to use a ford servo spring for his trans brake .The reason I mention this is I had a 2-3 flare on my c6 without a trans brake.I had replaced the factory servo spring with the spring that comes with that sonnax R servo .I took out the sonnax spring swapped in the ford spring flare gone . My c6 with Franks trans brake uses the factory servo spring and it has no flare either .Hope you get it fixed Doug.

manofmerc
BBF CONTRIBUTOR
BBF CONTRIBUTOR

Back to top Go down

Post  Gregaust November 17th 2016, 6:59 am

That's good info Doug . In the non transbrake one i'd have thought the heavier spring would had the opposite affect . I've never used any of the sonnax springs , got plenty spare now lol

Gregaust

Back to top Go down

Post  manofmerc November 19th 2016, 5:52 am

Greg looking at those sonnax springs that come with their servo neither appear to have the tension the ford spring has .I need to clarify this was with a factory P servo .I have an early case the big servo wouldn't work in my case .The OP could fix this without pulling the transmission .With all the issues surrounding sonnaxs R servo I stay away from them .I want to try a superior brand next time .

manofmerc
BBF CONTRIBUTOR
BBF CONTRIBUTOR

Back to top Go down

Post  Gregaust November 20th 2016, 2:01 am

manofmerc wrote:With all the issues surrounding sonnaxs R servo I stay away from them .I want to try a superior brand next time .

I'm hearing you, been thinking going to a different one as well . I've used a lot of the sonnax ones and it's just more time spent making them work that should't be necessary.

The Sonnax C servo for a C4 works well straight up though. Smile

Gregaust

Back to top Go down

Post  aquartlow November 20th 2016, 9:53 am

Not in an transbrake application, but I also use a Superior Super Servo in my '76 C6 with great results. I too was informed(recommended) by Frank that I should use the stock "P" servo spring(my C6 came with the "P" servo) in place of the ones sent with the Superior servo. Never installed the new servo with the as sent springs, but there is definitely no flare in the 2 to 3 shift. No machine work required, fit and results are great.
aquartlow
aquartlow

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down