BIG BLOCK FORD
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

67-69 Mustang, Falcon, Cougar, Fairlane, Torino + others Front Suspension

+5
70FB
jeffgfg
gmsmkr
John Myrick
FalconEh
9 posters

Go down

67-69 Mustang, Falcon, Cougar, Fairlane, Torino + others Front Suspension Empty 67-69 Mustang, Falcon, Cougar, Fairlane, Torino + others Front Suspension

Post  FalconEh May 27th 2016, 12:07 am

Shock towers need to go on the SB street car (changing to BBF), I could cut/plate them but it may not be friendly for the number of plug inspections/changes. What are your preferences, it is Street/Strip and will have a halo bar, so forward tubing with a rack, coilover and a front plate could be added, or it could have relocated/eliminated towers with or without a rack and engine mounts. I need to those who have done it to chime in with who's parts/kit you used or if you built it with a certain size of part in mind, and the year model you did it to, any additional information also appreciated such as not street friendly, too harsh, too tight, breaks transmissions whatever etc.
FalconEh
FalconEh

Back to top Go down

67-69 Mustang, Falcon, Cougar, Fairlane, Torino + others Front Suspension Empty Re: 67-69 Mustang, Falcon, Cougar, Fairlane, Torino + others Front Suspension

Post  John Myrick May 27th 2016, 5:54 am

I didn't do the actual work but had a Mustang II front suspension installed. It cleaned up the engine compartment and provided plenty of access to to the engine. Here is the kit I used . The person that installed it didn't mention anything bad about the kit either. We did have to get the drop spindles to get the stance correct. I can shoot you a pic on how the car sits now if you want.

http://rcmotorsportsinc.com/rc-107-adjustable-ride-height-coilover-conversion-package/
John Myrick
John Myrick
BBF CONTRIBUTOR
BBF CONTRIBUTOR

Back to top Go down

67-69 Mustang, Falcon, Cougar, Fairlane, Torino + others Front Suspension Empty Re: 67-69 Mustang, Falcon, Cougar, Fairlane, Torino + others Front Suspension

Post  gmsmkr May 27th 2016, 9:01 am

We just got done doing a mustang 2 suspension on a 53 chevy and it really makes alot of room.

We have also used fox type k member with the strut assembly and small towers this is very labor intense and is not cheap

gmsmkr
gmsmkr

Back to top Go down

Post  FalconEh May 27th 2016, 5:50 pm

John Myrick wrote:I didn't do the actual work but had a Mustang II front suspension installed. It cleaned up the engine compartment and provided plenty of access to to the engine. Here is the kit I used . The person that installed it didn't mention anything bad about the kit either. We did have to get the drop spindles to get the stance correct. I can shoot you a pic on how the car sits now if you want.

http://rcmotorsportsinc.com/rc-107-adjustable-ride-height-coilover-conversion-package/

Thanks John, That looks like a really nice kit, reasonable price too. I will not be installing myself either, but it would save a lot in billable hours and improve the handling and steering significantly and I need the drop, if you don't mind sending pics I would appreciate it. Did you have to relocate you master cylinder? Does it use the truck rear sump as opposed to the mid sump oil pan?

gmsmkr wrote:We just got done doing a mustang 2 suspension on a 53 chevy and it really makes alot of room.

We have also used fox type k member with the strut assembly and small towers this is very labor intense  and is not cheap

Thanks Mike, I think by utilizing a kit more like John posted I would save my chassis guy a bunch of headaches, additional fab work, and parts sourcing, the Fox K sound cool but with my wallet and welding skills not likely. Laughing
FalconEh
FalconEh

Back to top Go down

Post  jeffgfg May 27th 2016, 7:14 pm

Go to Fatman fab and look at his bolt on front clip. It is pricey but it includes front struts etc. It completely opens up the engine compartment. Also check out total cost involved they have a bolt in strut kit that you can than cut the towers back. Good luck.

jeffgfg

Back to top Go down

Post  FalconEh May 27th 2016, 11:36 pm

jeffgfg wrote:Go to Fatman fab and look at his bolt on front clip. It is pricey but it includes front struts etc. It completely opens up the engine compartment. Also check out total cost involved they have a bolt in strut kit that you can than cut the towers back. Good luck.

Thanks Jeff
FalconEh
FalconEh

Back to top Go down

Post  70FB May 28th 2016, 9:20 am

70FB
70FB
BBF CONTRIBUTOR
BBF CONTRIBUTOR

Back to top Go down

Post  John Myrick May 28th 2016, 10:09 am

FalconEh wrote:
John Myrick wrote:I didn't do the actual work but had a Mustang II front suspension installed. It cleaned up the engine compartment and provided plenty of access to to the engine. Here is the kit I used . The person that installed it didn't mention anything bad about the kit either. We did have to get the drop spindles to get the stance correct. I can shoot you a pic on how the car sits now if you want.

Thanks John, That looks like a really nice kit, reasonable price too. I will not be installing myself either, but it would save a lot in billable hours and improve the handling and steering significantly and I need the drop, if you don't mind sending pics I would appreciate it. Did you have to relocate you master cylinder? Does it use the truck rear sump as opposed to the mid sump oil pan?

gmsmkr wrote:We just got done doing a mustang 2 suspension on a 53 chevy and it really makes alot of room.

We have also used fox type k member with the strut assembly and small towers this is very labor intense  and is not cheap

Thanks Mike, I think by utilizing a kit more like John posted I would save my chassis guy a bunch of headaches, additional fab work, and parts sourcing, the Fox K sound cool but with my wallet and welding skills not likely. Laughing

Rear sump and didn't have to relocate the master cylinder. Shoot me your email for pics
John Myrick
John Myrick
BBF CONTRIBUTOR
BBF CONTRIBUTOR

Back to top Go down

Post  FalconEh May 28th 2016, 12:15 pm

70FB wrote:Don't know if my front rebuild will help but lots of pics and stuff.

https://www.429-460.com/t19973-1970-mustang-aje-front-suspension-conversion?highlight=70+front+suspension

Thanks 70FB, I was looking for your buildup I remembered following it, but I always struggle with the search box for some reason scratch lots of great info and pics turned out awesome.
FalconEh
FalconEh

Back to top Go down

Post  jbozzelle May 29th 2016, 9:12 am

Last week I stopped by a friend's shop and he was finishing up installing the Rod and Custom MII front end under an old Cyclone. Looked nice and really opened everything up... He's a fab man and said it was an easy install.

jbozzelle

Back to top Go down

Post  whatbumper May 29th 2016, 12:08 pm

We use Fox mustang parts and build our own k-members. I'd rather stay away from mustang 2 stuff on drag cars but they seem to work for a lot of people.

whatbumper

Back to top Go down

Post  DILLIGASDAVE May 29th 2016, 5:14 pm

I usually like a strut swap vs the MII swap (but the AJE brand strut stuff is a little lacking in valving adjustability for a drag car tho). IMO one problem with the MII stuff is you're still having to deal with an upper control arm in the way/chewing up some space. Another is the MII's short suspension travel when using coilovers. The MII travel is kinda decent with the stock spring/shock setup. But there is also a decent amount of tire side-scrub with that travel, probably because the shorter arc travel from MII's kinda short control arm lengths.
DILLIGASDAVE
DILLIGASDAVE

Back to top Go down

Post  FalconEh May 29th 2016, 7:29 pm

jbozzelle wrote:Last week I stopped by a friend's shop and he was finishing up installing the Rod and Custom MII front end under an old Cyclone.  Looked nice and really opened everything up...  He's a fab man and said it was an easy install.

Thanks John, I have been led to their site ^^ their stuff looks good, reasonable priced, and it looks in line with where I am at.

whatbumper wrote:We use Fox mustang parts and build our own k-members.  I'd rather stay away from mustang 2 stuff on drag cars but they seem to work for a lot of people.

Thanks Justin, Great info, and future budget considerations.

DILLIGASDAVE wrote:I usually like a strut swap vs the MII swap (but the AJE brand strut stuff is a little lacking in valving adjustability for a drag car tho). IMO one problem with the MII stuff is you're still having to deal with an upper control arm in the way/chewing up some space. Another is the MII's short suspension travel when using coilovers. The MII travel is kinda decent with the stock spring/shock setup. But there is also a decent amount of tire side-scrub with that travel, probably because the shorter arc travel from MII's kinda short control arm lengths.

Thanks Dave, Again Great info, I may have to rename this car to sacrifice...

Thanks Everyone for the very informative posts/emails , links, pictures etc. right on point, I will be leaning towards the R&C MII kit, as my welding skills are better suited to more basic projects, and my wallet say's although my chassis guy can do it differently I need too many other things for this project. Up until a few months ago the car was still a leaf spring, now a ladder bar/coilover, and still has manual steering and factory uncut shocktowers Shocked so it should steer and handle better than it ever has, with a BBF as opposed to the SB currently installed and I do street/strip it so there has to be compromises on both avenues. Bring on the plug changes Very Happy
FalconEh
FalconEh

Back to top Go down

Post  richter69 May 30th 2016, 10:12 am

Made my own w a set of fox struts and a pinto rack, fab skills a must
richter69
richter69

Back to top Go down

Post  FalconEh May 30th 2016, 8:20 pm

richter69 wrote:Made my own w a set of fox struts and a pinto rack, fab skills a must

Cool The welding part of the fab skills is my problem, maybe some night time Trade school welding courses, and a new welder might help Very Happy
FalconEh
FalconEh

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down