BIG BLOCK FORD
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

oil accumulator

+5
BOSS 429
DGS
Lem Evans
David Cole
Larry Williams
9 posters

Go down

oil accumulator Empty oil accumulator

Post  Larry Williams August 4th 2015, 10:15 am

with a stock block 545 and a remote oil filter kit because of clearance issues, where is the best place to plumb in the oil accumulator?
Larry Williams
Larry Williams

Back to top Go down

oil accumulator Empty Re: oil accumulator

Post  David Cole August 4th 2015, 11:16 am

I've always plumbed mine in at the port just above the oil filter pad.  Larger port than the pressure gauge fitting on top behind the intake.  I also figure that if the pump starts to suck air it would help be getting oil into the block quicker.

An interesting note:  A few weeks back I went with Ward over the Engine Systems to pick up his engine.  Ted from Engine Systems (who has forgotten more BBF info than I'll ever know) told me he likes to see an accumulator only used as a pre-oiler for starting.  He said any engine that he has ever been into that used an accumulator under load had bearings that looked worse than they should, starved for oil.  

I'm guessing the initial surge from the accumulator is good, but then it takes away from the oil supply while it's refilling.
David Cole
David Cole
BBF CONTRIBUTOR
BBF CONTRIBUTOR

http://my.att.net/p/s/community.dll?ep=16&groupid=66449&

Back to top Go down

Post  Larry Williams August 4th 2015, 11:41 am

David Cole wrote:I've always plumbed mine in at the port just above the oil filter pad.  Larger port than the pressure gauge fitting on top behind the intake.  I also figure that if the pump starts to suck air it would help be getting oil into the block quicker.

An interesting note:  A few weeks back I went with Ward over the Engine Systems to pick up his engine.  Ted from Engine Systems (who has forgotten more BBF info than I'll ever know) told me he likes to see an accumulator only used as a pre-oiler for starting.  He said any engine that he has ever been into that used an accumulator under load had bearings that looked worse than they should, starved for oil.  

I'm guessing the initial surge from the accumulator is good, but then it takes away from the oil supply while it's refilling.

food for thought     thank you David.  I already bring up the oil pressure before hitting the ignition    so maybe this engine doesn't need the accumulator. would any one make a power (ignition ) cut off pressure

switch I could install in the mechanical oil pressure line at the rear of the block?

Larry Williams
Larry Williams

Back to top Go down

Post  Larry Williams August 5th 2015, 7:21 pm

David Cole wrote:I've always plumbed mine in at the port just above the oil filter pad.  Larger port than the pressure gauge fitting on top behind the intake.  I also figure that if the pump starts to suck air it would help be getting oil into the block quicker.

what size and thread is that port? can you post a picture of your set up?
Larry Williams
Larry Williams

Back to top Go down

Post  Lem Evans August 5th 2015, 8:39 pm

Larry Williams wrote:

what size and thread is that port?   can you post a picture of your set up?

The port at the front is 3/8 pipe. The one at the rear is 1/4" pipe thread.

Lem Evans

http://bfevansraceparts.com

Back to top Go down

Post  David Cole August 5th 2015, 9:35 pm

3/8 npt to -10AN adapter, -10 line to 1/2 npt X -10 adapter on electric valve on accumulator.

oil accumulator Accumulator%20line

oil accumulator Accum2

oil accumulator Accum
David Cole
David Cole
BBF CONTRIBUTOR
BBF CONTRIBUTOR

Back to top Go down

Post  Larry Williams August 5th 2015, 10:41 pm

thanks David that helps a lot. I have everything I need except the fitting at the motor end. I will hunt it down tomorrow
Larry Williams
Larry Williams

Back to top Go down

Post  Larry Williams August 7th 2015, 9:01 pm

installed and wired up. darn my fingers will take a while to heal after installing the hose fittings.
Larry Williams
Larry Williams

Back to top Go down

Post  David Cole August 7th 2015, 9:34 pm

Larry Williams wrote:  darn  my fingers will take a while to heal after installing the hose fittings.

Glad you got it done. Stopped the bloody fingers when I bought this set of assembly tools a few years back. One of those specialty tools that you absolutely don't have to to have, but once you use it one time you'll be a fan.

http://www.koultools.com/WatchAN.html

http://www.koultools.com/ANHoseAssemblyTools.html
David Cole
David Cole
BBF CONTRIBUTOR
BBF CONTRIBUTOR

Back to top Go down

Post  DGS August 8th 2015, 10:23 pm

I always plumb mine to the back of the block, using a reamer to enlarge the passage and then retapping to 3/8 NPT. Bearings always look good.
DGS
DGS

Back to top Go down

Post  Larry Williams August 8th 2015, 11:29 pm

I would be interested in seeing a diagram of the oil flow through a stock block I am already set up with this engine but would like to understand it better
Larry Williams
Larry Williams

Back to top Go down

Post  BOSS 429 August 9th 2015, 12:52 am

DGS wrote:I always plumb mine to the back of the block, using a reamer to enlarge the passage and then retapping to 3/8 NPT. Bearings always look good.

correct we have a winner,

Ive been so busy I haven't had time to post in this thread, YOU NEVER HOOK IT TO THE FRONT PORT,when you do it will fill the oil filter,and oil pump before it gets to the crank, YOU hook it up in the rear and send the oil to the bearings, REM when the oil pump quits 3 and 7 and 4 and 8 suffer first

Ive tested this on a stand with just a crank,and cam in a block,with just the big end of the rods on the crank, what a mess this made

for the dry sump guys,or ext oil pump guys Peterson sells a 1way valve that keeps the oil from going back to the filter for this very reason,but in a stock oiling system we have no choice so we plum in the rear

BOSS 429
BOSS 429

Back to top Go down

Post  Lem Evans August 9th 2015, 9:18 pm

DGS wrote:I always plumb mine to the back of the block, using a reamer to enlarge the passage and then retapping to 3/8 NPT. Bearings always look good.

So, you reamed the inlet to be a 3/8" pipe thread. Did you then enlarge the small passage below it?

Lem Evans

Back to top Go down

Post  Gary Blair August 12th 2015, 9:20 am

Works real well there. Balances the system. The rear of the engine is where you will see the oil supply diminish first if you have an oil pump inlet supply issue.
Gary Blair
Gary Blair

Back to top Go down

Post  Larry Williams August 12th 2015, 9:58 am

I re-plummed to the rear of the engine and now take the feed for the oil pressure guage from the front
Larry Williams
Larry Williams

Back to top Go down

Post  away August 28th 2015, 11:58 am

Very interesting. I have always plumbed it in the front BBF (stock block) or SBF (Dart Block) with no apparent issues. In my opinion it is filled while at idle/start-up and stays full until there is an issue in the system and only empties when needed (oil trouble etc)......works great ......bearing always look great.....looks as if it was plumbed in the rear that would reverse flow the oil through the system when needed and go against all rules of fluid dynamics.
away
away

Back to top Go down

Post  rmcomprandy August 28th 2015, 1:20 pm

Larry Williams wrote:I would be interested in seeing a diagram of the oil flow through a stock block    I am already set up with this engine   but would like to understand it better

Direction of oil flow does not matter for an accumulator to work, as forced volume at the bearing is PRESSURE no matter how it gets there.

rmcomprandy

http://www.rmcompetition.com

Back to top Go down

Post  windsor August 28th 2015, 1:55 pm

windsor
windsor

Back to top Go down

Post  away August 28th 2015, 2:30 pm

rmcomprandy wrote:
Larry Williams wrote:I would be interested in seeing a diagram of the oil flow through a stock block    I am already set up with this engine   but would like to understand it better

Direction of oil flow does not matter for an accumulator to work, as forced volume at the bearing is PRESSURE no matter how it gets there.

^^^^^So this essentially means it doesn't matter where it is connected then?
away
away

Back to top Go down

Post  rmcomprandy August 28th 2015, 6:19 pm

away wrote:
rmcomprandy wrote:

^^^^^So this essentially means it doesn't matter where it is connected then?

YES it does ... when one place is a different size and diameter or one is more directly routed to the main oil gallery.

rmcomprandy

http://www.rmcompetition.com

Back to top Go down

Post  BOSS 429 August 28th 2015, 7:50 pm

away wrote:Very interesting.  I have always plumbed it in the front BBF (stock block) or SBF (Dart Block) with no apparent issues.  In my opinion it is filled while at idle/start-up and stays full until there is an issue in the system and only empties when needed (oil trouble etc)......works great ......bearing always look great.....looks as if it was plumbed in the reanor that would reverse flow the oil through the system when needed and go against all rules of fluid dynamics.

no,because when the oil pump stops there is no oil coming from the other way, And the rear of the stock blocks loose oil first.  Plus if theres oil coming the other way we don't need the accusump ?

its rare to see one spin no1 rod bearing its 99 percent of the time 3/7 or 8/4 ,what does that tell you?.

I spent a lot of time testing this on a run stand,and with no oil pan on an engine.
BOSS 429
BOSS 429

Back to top Go down

Post  Larry Williams August 29th 2015, 12:00 am

windsor wrote:

great video I have been using too much air pressure.
Larry Williams
Larry Williams

Back to top Go down

Post  DGS August 29th 2015, 7:34 pm

Lem Evans wrote:

So, you reamed the inlet to be a 3/8" pipe thread. Did you then enlarge the small passage below it?
Yes, the oil passage is 5/16 stock, I go in with a reamer and enlarge it to 25/64.
DGS
DGS

Back to top Go down

Post  Lem Evans August 29th 2015, 8:04 pm

DGS wrote:
Lem Evans wrote:

Yes, the oil passage is 5/16 stock, I go in with a reamer and enlarge it to 25/64.

Cool

Lem Evans

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down