BIG BLOCK FORD
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

D0VE-C heads potential

2 posters

Go down

D0VE-C heads potential Empty D0VE-C heads potential

Post  jakemillar June 22nd 2015, 12:34 pm

Hi all,

I'm a new member to these forums but have been viewing them for a long time.

I have a 1970 Ford Fairlane 500 (Formal Roof, same as 1970-1971 Torino 500). The engine in it right now is a stock stroke/bore 429, pump gas, stock D0VE-C heads, factory cast iron intake, Holley 750 dp, Lunati hydraulic cam (509 int./514 exh), 3.75 rear gears, stock c6. Vehicle weighs approximately 3900 pounds.

For my winter project I have a C9VE stock 429/460 block, it's been bored 0.030 over, polished 460 crank, polished factory rods, forged speed pro flat top pistons. These are the parts I have already, meaning increasing displacement IS NOT an option here.

My goal for the car is to get it into the high 11s in the 1/4. A TCI stall convertor of appropriate RPM range and cal-tracs will also be added.

My questions are as follows:

1) I'm at the point on deciding on what heads, intake, cam to use. I would love to still be able to use the D0VE-C heads and do some proper port work to them, but I don't want to waste time and/or money trying to make these heads flow enough on the intake and especially the exhaust to get the above stated car ^^^ into the high 11 second quarter mile. My resident BBF expert has told me that, with the engine only being a 466 (which is small in the BBF world in terms of possible displacement), being able to flow 400cfm on the intake and 250cfm on the exhaust is, which the Kaase P51s/Trickflow/Blue Thunders can is actually more than what the engine can actually use and may be a bit overkill.

With that being said, is it possible to get the exhaust ports on a set of D0VE-C heads to flow in the 190-200cfm range? Because I would really love to be able to keep these D0VE-C heads on for the 466 build moving forward.

2) In terms of intake, which intake is best for this application? I would like to be able to fit it under the factory GT hood, so height is my only limiting factor here; cost, in terms of intake, is no object.

3) Cam shaft. it is my understanding that with this build I am at around the valve lift numbers where a switch away from hydraulic flat tappet cams may be in order, so looking at some solid roller cams with more appropriate lift #s might be ideal. What are your suggestions in terms of lift, LSA, etc.?

Any help is appreciated, thank you all

Jake

jakemillar

Back to top Go down

D0VE-C heads potential Empty Re: D0VE-C heads potential

Post  rmcomprandy June 22nd 2015, 1:21 pm

A well ported pair of D0VE heads will power a 10.5/1 compression ratio, 466 cubic inch engine well into the 11 second bracket with a street/strip type vehicle; even with a well matched hydraulic flat tappet camshaft and Torquer II intake manifold.

rmcomprandy

http://www.rmcompetition.com

Back to top Go down

Post  jakemillar June 22nd 2015, 3:08 pm

Thanks for the reply Randy.

What you are saying confirms what I was hoping to hear. It is a pump gas motor as previously stated, approximately 10.6:1 compression. Does not see much street driving, the majority of its mileage is driving to and from the track, atleast 15-18 times per season.

My only real questions are in terms of HOW to port the D0VE heads properly. I have heard some horror stories about guys messing with the short side radius on the exhaust port and it actually hurts performance. I just need some guidelines as to how to do it, or some information about a shop or machinist who knows how to "massage" a set of D0VE heads.

Also, in terms of cam shaft, it would be financially ideal to stay with a hydraulic flat tappet, as the D0VE heads don't have the thread in stud mounted rockers required for a switch to solid cam. It should be noted that I have gotten a used Edelbrock Performer RPM cam, 0.581int/0.581exh that I can get off a friend for cheap, however this would require a switch to the previously stated thread in stud mount rockers, and I'm not even sure if 0.581 is an aggressive enough lift anyways.

jakemillar

Back to top Go down

Post  rmcomprandy June 22nd 2015, 5:15 pm

jakemillar wrote:Thanks for the reply Randy.

What you are saying confirms what I was hoping to hear. It is a pump gas motor as previously stated, approximately 10.6:1 compression. Does not see much street driving, the majority of its mileage is driving to and from the track, atleast 15-18 times per season.

My only real questions are in terms of HOW to port the D0VE heads properly. I have heard some horror stories about guys messing with the short side radius on the exhaust port and it actually hurts performance. I just need some guidelines as to how to do it, or some information about a shop or machinist who knows how to "massage" a set of D0VE heads.

Also, in terms of cam shaft, it would be financially ideal to stay with a hydraulic flat tappet, as the D0VE heads don't have the thread in stud mounted rockers required for a switch to solid cam. It should be noted that I have gotten a used Edelbrock Performer RPM cam, 0.581int/0.581exh that I can get off a friend for cheap, however this would require a switch to the previously stated thread in stud mount rockers, and I'm not even sure if 0.581 is an aggressive enough lift anyways.

I don't know what kind of D0VE heads you have but, as far as I know, ALL versions of the D0VE head for a big block Ford have screw-in studs.

You can get well over .650" valve lift with the hydraulic cam lobe profiles of today.

rmcomprandy

http://www.rmcompetition.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down