BIG BLOCK FORD
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

What to do with a balooned torque convertor?

2 posters

Go down

What to do with a balooned torque convertor? Empty What to do with a balooned torque convertor?

Post  manofmerc June 3rd 2015, 7:27 am

Several years ago I pulled my 460 from my 67 comet for a general freshen up and inspection .Well I got to freshen it up all right my thrust surface was destroyed (flywheel side naturally) So I replaced the old convertor with a new one from ATI no more crank problems .So do I need to junk my old torque convertor or is it repairable?It is a tci super street fighter 10" about 4000 stall with the big pilot .In reality I ran this convertor for 10-12 years before I found out my crank was fried .And whenever I pulled my engines oil pan the crank was ok until this last time .I went with an 8" ati and it was about 4 tenths quicker than the 10" tci.I would really like to sell this convertor to someone that would send it out to be repaired or do I just send it out to the scrap man .Thanks Doug

manofmerc
BBF CONTRIBUTOR
BBF CONTRIBUTOR

Back to top Go down

What to do with a balooned torque convertor? Empty Re: What to do with a balooned torque convertor?

Post  whatbumper June 3rd 2015, 5:32 pm

Most everything can be repaired but most likely it will be cheaper to just start over. A local converter shop may take it in trade if you ever need a stock piece or something.

whatbumper

Back to top Go down

What to do with a balooned torque convertor? Empty What do you look for ?

Post  manofmerc June 4th 2015, 5:31 am

Is there some measurement to go by ?Can I possibly use a depth mike and measure down the snout ? What parts would the convertor shop replace ?

manofmerc
BBF CONTRIBUTOR
BBF CONTRIBUTOR

Back to top Go down

What to do with a balooned torque convertor? Empty Re: What to do with a balooned torque convertor?

Post  whatbumper June 4th 2015, 10:58 pm

manofmerc wrote:Is there some measurement to go by ?Can I possibly use a depth mike and measure down the snout ? What parts would the convertor shop replace ?

If a converter is ballooned we junk the pump side of the housing for sure and for fords we only use a forged/billet backside for some good reasons. The insides can possibly be reused depending on what it's going behind but a lot has changed in 10 years on the insides so we can't use a lot of things for how we build them now.

Now, some shops will still use everything. I'm just telling you what we would do.

whatbumper

Back to top Go down

What to do with a balooned torque convertor? Empty Thanks

Post  manofmerc June 5th 2015, 4:33 am

I appreciate your information .If I had a need for this convertor I might send it out for repair but I really don't have a need for it .It did serve me well for several years though .Doug

manofmerc
BBF CONTRIBUTOR
BBF CONTRIBUTOR

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down