BIG BLOCK FORD
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

C6 leaking out of bellhousing-All back together and its still leaking!!!

+7
the Coug
Dave C.
maverick
Gregaust
aquartlow
69F100
512Fairlane
11 posters

Go down

C6 leaking out of bellhousing-All back together and its still leaking!!! Empty C6 leaking out of bellhousing-All back together and its still leaking!!!

Post  512Fairlane February 28th 2015, 10:37 pm

I developed a small trans. fluid leak last season out of my bell housing.  I'm pulling the trans out tomorrow and was wondering what to look for.  Is it most likely the seal around the converter or should I take the pump out and replace that gasket as well?  Can I change the seal without removing the pump?

Last edited by 512Fairlane on March 14th 2015, 7:47 pm; edited 1 time in total
512Fairlane
512Fairlane

Back to top Go down

C6 leaking out of bellhousing-All back together and its still leaking!!! Empty Re: C6 leaking out of bellhousing-All back together and its still leaking!!!

Post  69F100 February 28th 2015, 11:15 pm

Yes the seal can be changed without taking the pump out on Ford's or everyone I have had could be changed by pulling the converter then pop the seal out and bump the new one in.
69F100
69F100
BBF CONTRIBUTOR
BBF CONTRIBUTOR

Back to top Go down

C6 leaking out of bellhousing-All back together and its still leaking!!! Empty Re: C6 leaking out of bellhousing-All back together and its still leaking!!!

Post  aquartlow March 1st 2015, 4:06 pm

http://image.fourwheeler.com/f/8681507+w600+cr1/p120651_image_large.jpg
I have heard the servo lever pin needs sealant, others here are much more versed on what is needed to be looked at though.
aquartlow
aquartlow

Back to top Go down

Post  512Fairlane March 1st 2015, 10:02 pm

I took the trans out today and I'm having a difficult time telling where the leak is coming from. The seal in the center looks fine and there wasn't any fluid on the converter or coming out of the center seal area. The only place that it is wet is at the bottom of the pump where the o-ring seal is located. It seems like it would be hard for it to leak there but since the trans is so difficult to remove I want fix any possible areas while I have it out. Can I just pull the pump out the front or do I have to take the valve body out first? Will it go right back in or is there something that I need to line up inside?
512Fairlane
512Fairlane

Back to top Go down

Post  Gregaust March 2nd 2015, 5:54 am

You could pull the pump. Nip up the band though to make sure the drums stay put. Good idea though to remove the valvebody and check endfloat before and after so you know it's all gone back in ok .

Gregaust

Back to top Go down

Post  512Fairlane March 14th 2015, 7:52 pm

Ok I changed the pump gasket, O-ring and seal, put it all back together during many late nights this week.  I fired it up and everything sounded good.  Ran it for 5 minutes and shut it off.  5 minutes later there is a 4" diameter puddle coming out the inspection cover on the bellhousing.  I was very careful with the seals.  When I took it apart it hadn't been driven for a couple of months so I couldn't tell where it had been leaking from.  I changed the seals and filled that little hole with RTV to be sure.  Could my converter or pump be cracked?  I inspected it really well when I had it out and didn't see anything.  Is there a way to bench test this?  If I take it to my trans guy can he pressurize it to see where it leaks.  Very pissed right now.  Why do we race again?
512Fairlane
512Fairlane

Back to top Go down

Post  maverick March 15th 2015, 9:40 am

Why do we race again?? Because we love it...and if we didn't have hassles, we wouldn't be racing. If it was easy and cheap, EVERYBODY would be racing. Razz

You'll beat this thing. Just take a step back and a deep breath. If the C6 guys on this board can't help you out, this would be a perfect time to go 'glide. Laughing
maverick
maverick
BBF CONTRIBUTOR
BBF CONTRIBUTOR

Back to top Go down

Post  Dave C. March 15th 2015, 9:58 am

Is the leak worse now ?

Dave C.

Back to top Go down

Post  the Coug March 15th 2015, 10:39 am

did you seal the upper bolt hole on the drivers side bellhousing? remember it is drilled thru to the lifter valley.... and can and will leak if not addressed....
the Coug
the Coug

Back to top Go down

Post  512Fairlane March 15th 2015, 12:15 pm

Dave it is leaking worse. Coug it is leaking trans fluid not oil. I have to take it to gateway next weekend to have the chassis inspected so it will have to stay together for another week.
512Fairlane
512Fairlane

Back to top Go down

Post  Frank Merkl March 15th 2015, 6:27 pm

most likely the converter is leaking on a weld , take it some were to get pressure checked
Frank
Frank Merkl
Frank Merkl

Back to top Go down

Post  richter69 March 15th 2015, 9:41 pm

Agree with Frank
richter69
richter69

Back to top Go down

Post  maverick532 March 16th 2015, 2:22 pm

you could get a bottle of trans fluid dye from Napa and a black light to trace the leak before you took it back out . I have experienced a cracked weld on a converter before .

maverick532

Back to top Go down

Post  whatbumper March 16th 2015, 4:51 pm

Frank Merkl wrote:most likely the converter is leaking on a weld , take it some were to get pressure checked
Frank

that's what I was going to say. This happens sometimes. also if it's not a billet backing plate they sometimes separate the ears from the converter a little.

whatbumper

Back to top Go down

Post  richter69 March 16th 2015, 5:20 pm

The 2009 sd trucks, whoever welds the hubs on the converters well they need a diff job.... Happens a lot.
richter69
richter69

Back to top Go down

C6 leaking out of bellhousing-All back together and its still leaking!!! Empty Yep its the converter.

Post  512Fairlane March 22nd 2015, 10:41 pm

Got the converter out and pressure tested it. Its leaking around the pilot hub that goes into the crank when you apply pressure. Guess I'll give Lenny a call tomorrow and see how fast he can fix me up. First race in a few weeks.
512Fairlane
512Fairlane

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down