BIG BLOCK FORD
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Fox Street/Strip Tire & Suspension Suggestions

+2
Larry Williams
billandlori
6 posters

Go down

Fox Street/Strip Tire & Suspension Suggestions Empty Fox Street/Strip Tire & Suspension Suggestions

Post  billandlori January 27th 2015, 1:46 pm

Hey guys,

I have recently bought a 1980 Fairmont Futura. It was an I-6 auto car. I am going to swap in my 466/C6 out of my 83 T-Bird.

I am wondering what the hot set up is for Fox suspension street/strip cars lately. I am planning on getting some drag radials for it. I would like to keep it as "sleeper" as possible. Likely looking at a tube K member, sub-frame connectors, maybe coil-over struts..... What else am I missing??

Thanks in advance for the help!!

Bill
billandlori
billandlori

Back to top Go down

Fox Street/Strip Tire & Suspension Suggestions Empty Re: Fox Street/Strip Tire & Suspension Suggestions

Post  Larry Williams January 27th 2015, 5:10 pm

nice to see you back again bill

call me sometime 519 762 5040

my fox seems to work well
Larry Williams
Larry Williams

Back to top Go down

Fox Street/Strip Tire & Suspension Suggestions Empty Re: Fox Street/Strip Tire & Suspension Suggestions

Post  billandlori January 27th 2015, 5:36 pm

Larry Williams wrote:nice to see you back again bill

call me sometime       519 762 5040

my fox seems to work well

Thanks Larry!!

What is your set-up?

I remember the Southside bars used to be the deal but I have heard a lot of guys tearing torque boxes out and hitting the tires too hard.

Bill
billandlori
billandlori

Back to top Go down

Post  billandlori January 27th 2015, 8:46 pm

Also, if anyone has suggestions on a K member that fits the big block better than others, that would be great! The AJE ones look pretty nice and can be had with 460 engine mounts.

Bill
billandlori
billandlori

Back to top Go down

Post  Mike R January 27th 2015, 9:00 pm

I went with a UPR k member, cut off the mounts, going with motor/ mid plates. Built my own thru floor sub frame connectors, much more rigid IMOP

Mike R

Back to top Go down

Post  billandlori January 27th 2015, 11:14 pm

Mike R wrote:I went with a UPR k member, cut off the mounts, going with motor/ mid plates. Built my own thru floor sub frame connectors, much more rigid IMOP

Thanks!

Sounds like a wild Fairmont you have there Mike!!

Bill
billandlori
billandlori

Back to top Go down

Post  whatbumper January 27th 2015, 11:43 pm

I can sell or make anything you need if interested. This is what I do for a living and the fox platform is pretty solid. I can put you together a price list of everything that I would recommend if you are interested.

This is one area that you will save a lot of time, money and headache if you stick with a "package" type deal. What happens to a lot of people is they piece parts together that were most using different theories. Whoever you choose for products I recommend sticking with one philosophy of combinations.

whatbumper

Back to top Go down

Post  Larry Williams January 28th 2015, 1:31 am

i gave away the southside bars they didn't help at all. I did reinforce the boxs

start with adjustable uppers and mini tub it with coil overs and multi adjustable shocks.

coil overs up front too. i did add caster camber plates but they may not be necessary.

through the floor frame stiffeners

i might have some left over parts you could use.

Larry Williams
Larry Williams

Back to top Go down

Post  billandlori January 28th 2015, 8:41 pm

whatbumper wrote:I can sell or make anything you need if interested.  This is what I do for a living and the fox platform is pretty solid.  I can put you together a price list of everything that I would recommend if you are interested.  

This is one area that you will save a lot of time, money and headache if you stick with a "package" type deal.  What happens to a lot of people is they piece parts together that were most using different theories.  Whoever you choose for products I recommend sticking with one philosophy of combinations.

That sounds real good Justin. There is some very nice looking fab work on your site!!

What info will you need about my car?

Bill
billandlori
billandlori

Back to top Go down

Post  billandlori January 28th 2015, 8:49 pm

Larry Williams wrote:i gave away the southside bars   they didn't help at all.     I did reinforce the boxs

start with adjustable uppers   and mini tub it with coil overs and multi adjustable shocks.

coil overs up front too.  i did add caster camber plates   but they may not be necessary.

through the floor frame stiffeners  

i might have some left over parts you could use.  

Sounds like a nice set up Larry. The Fairmont has pretty deep wheel wells, I have to do some more measuring, but it looks like I can get a decent size in there.

Will weld in sub-frame connectors work decent or are the through the floor deals waaay better?

Bill
billandlori
billandlori

Back to top Go down

Post  Larry Williams January 28th 2015, 9:15 pm

go through the floor
Larry Williams
Larry Williams

Back to top Go down

Post  billandlori January 28th 2015, 9:27 pm

Larry Williams wrote:go through the floor

10-4!!

Bill
billandlori
billandlori

Back to top Go down

Post  whatbumper January 29th 2015, 6:09 pm

billandlori wrote:
whatbumper wrote:I can sell or make anything you need if interested.  This is what I do for a living and the fox platform is pretty solid.  I can put you together a price list of everything that I would recommend if you are interested.  

This is one area that you will save a lot of time, money and headache if you stick with a "package" type deal.  What happens to a lot of people is they piece parts together that were most using different theories.  Whoever you choose for products I recommend sticking with one philosophy of combinations.

That sounds real good Justin. There is some very nice looking fab work on your site!!

What info will you need about my car?

Bill

Weights front and rear to get springs correct but they will be the same price. I will work on it tonight and pm the information to you.

whatbumper

Back to top Go down

Post  jbozzelle January 29th 2015, 11:53 pm

billandlori wrote:

Sounds like a nice set up Larry. The Fairmont has pretty deep wheel wells, I have to do some more measuring, but it looks like I can get a decent size in there.

depends on how high the ride height is in the rear.  Mine had a 15x7 wheel and a 255/60 tire.  But the tire was up in the wheelwell a bit.  The Fairmont/Futura wheel openings are flatter in the top (lip) area whereas the Mustang is more of a fuller curve (circleish) so you can typically get more tire under a Mustang and have it look decent. If you have the funds go ahead and minitub it. You'll be money ahead down the road with the extra tire that BBF will need.

I've still got my old 78 Futura that I'm slowly collecting parts to put back together.  I bought a narrowed 9" housing and fabricated upper/lower arms from Justin a few years back and the parts look great.

jbozzelle

Back to top Go down

Post  Mike R January 30th 2015, 12:01 am

jbozzelle wrote:
billandlori wrote:

depends on how high the ride height is in the rear.  Mine had a 15x7 wheel and a 255/60 tire.  But the tire was up in the wheelwell a bit.  The Fairmont/Futura wheel openings are flatter in the top (lip) area whereas the Mustang is more of a fuller curve (circleish) so you can typically get more tire under a Mustang and have it look decent.  If you have the funds go ahead and minitub it.  You'll be money ahead down the road with the extra tire that BBF will need.

I've still got my old 78 Futura that I'm slowly collecting parts to put back together.  I bought a narrowed 9" housing and fabricated upper/lower arms from Justin a few years back and the parts look great.

X2 on the mini tub if you can swing it. With a 7.5 back space wheel you can fit a 28X12.50 ET Street. I used a Wolfe mini tub kit for a Fox Mustang, fit really well.

Mike R

Back to top Go down

Post  billandlori January 31st 2015, 12:10 am

Thanks John and Mike, I'll have to look into the tubs.

This will be a bit by bit deal, have to work on a bit at a time!!

Bill
billandlori
billandlori

Back to top Go down

Post  Jetman August 12th 2015, 11:47 pm

What is your price for the mini tubs for a 84 Fox body?
Jetman
Jetman

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down