BIG BLOCK FORD
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

SINGLE PLANE DUAL QUAD INTAKE ??

+4
gt350hr
dfree383
dragsterdick
Wayne Pearce
8 posters

Go down

SINGLE PLANE DUAL QUAD INTAKE ?? Empty SINGLE PLANE DUAL QUAD INTAKE ??

Post  Wayne Pearce November 26th 2014, 9:25 am

Hey guy's: I was wondering if any single plane dual quad intakes were ever developed for the big block Ford? Would there be any benefit over a dual plane (such as a Blue Thunder), or tunnel ram dual quad intake? Just wondering - Happy Thanksgiving to all, don't eat, or drink too much - but eat, and drink enough!

Wayne (SAWDOFF) Pearce

Wayne Pearce

Back to top Go down

SINGLE PLANE DUAL QUAD INTAKE ?? Empty 460 Single plane

Post  dragsterdick November 26th 2014, 11:22 am

I run a BT Dual plane on my Galaxie NSS car because there are no good single planes out there for sale. It works great and hopefully better with a little trick told to me to do by the carb spacer guys. Won't know till spring though? Happy Thanks giving to you and everyone as well!!

dragsterdick

Back to top Go down

SINGLE PLANE DUAL QUAD INTAKE ?? Empty Re: SINGLE PLANE DUAL QUAD INTAKE ??

Post  Wayne Pearce November 26th 2014, 12:06 pm

I have a Blue Thunder dual quad setup on my 30 Model A coupe, and haven't driven it yet, but it should be a lot more street friendly than the tunnel ram that was on it before. But I was curious as to why there's no performance single plane dual quad setups available that I could run on my 545 50 Ford Coupe? I'm presently running an 1150 SV1 on a Edelbrock Victor intake, and don't want to poke a tunnel ram through the hood.

Wayne

Wayne Pearce

Back to top Go down

SINGLE PLANE DUAL QUAD INTAKE ?? Empty Single plane

Post  dragsterdick November 26th 2014, 12:18 pm

Wayne, Sounds like you have a couple of really cool cars!! Any pics cause they must be great? I think the reason there are no good single plane dual quad intakes for the 460 is because there is not enough demand? Would be mostly used on a car like mine and most guys use an FE motor. I wish there was a good one to buy.

dragsterdick

Back to top Go down

Post  dfree383 November 26th 2014, 12:44 pm

With the availability of big dominators the 2x4 low stuff is pretty much a nostalgic thing IMO. And not much demand.
dfree383
dfree383
BBF CONTRIBUTOR
BBF CONTRIBUTOR

Back to top Go down

Post  gt350hr November 26th 2014, 12:56 pm

Wayne,
According to the SK parts log book I have there was a prototype single plane intake developed in '69 for Nascar use. Ford downsized the 429 wedge to 366 for potential use so maniflods were made. In the 45 years I have been chasing experimental Ford parts , I have yet to see one. This is despite finding many one and two of a kind prototype parts. The Blue Thunder dual plane was developed about the same time ( originally with an SK number) and is more common. My guess is a handful were made and they were less powerful than the dual plane or had fuel distribution problems and were scrapped. Several single plane single four "spider" ( as they were called at Ford) intakes were made as well all carrying SK numbers. I think there is one on epay now.

gt350hr

Back to top Go down

Post  Carl December 2nd 2014, 1:32 pm

Why no (good) single plane dual quad intakes?  Because Procomp.  With that POS they released last year, it's unlikely anyone will put the money into development of a quality alternative.....unless I win the lotto. Laughing

Best option at this point would be to use the lower half of a Weiand tunnel ram and make your own carb adapter.  Still kind of tall, but not much taller than a Victor or Mafia intake.

You could also build your own with a mig welder, some sheet metal, and some exhaust tubing bends. Hardest part would be finding somebody to make some flanges, and that wouldn't be very hard.

Carl

Back to top Go down

Post  DaveMcLain December 2nd 2014, 1:41 pm

Carl wrote:Why no (good) single plane dual quad intakes?  Because Procomp.  With that POS they released last year, it's unlikely anyone will put the money into development of a quality alternative.....unless I win the lotto. Laughing

Best option at this point would be to use the lower half of a Weiand tunnel ram and make your own carb adapter.  Still kind of tall, but not much taller than a Victor or Mafia intake.

You could also build your own with a mig welder, some sheet metal, and some exhaust tubing bends.  Hardest part would be finding somebody to make some flanges, and that wouldn't be very hard.

Do you know anybody who's actually run/tested one of the Pro Comp intakes?

DaveMcLain

Back to top Go down

Post  JBR-3 December 2nd 2014, 4:59 pm

Last edited by JBR-3 on February 22nd 2020, 2:09 am; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : .)

JBR-3

Back to top Go down

Post  DaveMcLain December 2nd 2014, 6:19 pm

JBR-3 wrote:This is an idea, just an idea for now, but one I will eventually pursue.
I have two Victors that I want to cut up to make one 2x4 single plane.
Save the center four runners with the carb pad on each manifold, then
figure a way to weld them together.
This isn't the only way to do this. For example, you could take one Victor
and "hollow it out", cut out all the runners and, presto, there's your new
base piece. Add runners and carb mounts as desired. Poor man's exotica.

Just remember that the runners are not spaced the same as the bore spacing of the engine.

DaveMcLain

Back to top Go down

Post  bbf-falcon December 2nd 2014, 6:48 pm

Carl wrote:Why no (good) single plane dual quad intakes?  Because Procomp.  With that POS they released last year, it's unlikely anyone will put the money into development of a quality alternative.....unless I win the lotto. Laughing

You could also build your own with a mig welder, some sheet metal, and some exhaust tubing bends.  Hardest part would be finding somebody to make some flanges, and that wouldn't be very hard.

Do you have proven evidence that it's a pos or just your personal assumption?

bbf-falcon

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down