BIG BLOCK FORD
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

nhra approved antifreeze?

+4
Curt
FalconEh
514F-1
norm robertson
8 posters

Go down

nhra approved antifreeze? Empty nhra approved antifreeze?

Post  norm robertson September 2nd 2014, 6:21 pm

I don't want to run straight water in my engine but I need winter protection.
Is there an antifreeze that's accepted at the track?

norm robertson

Back to top Go down

nhra approved antifreeze? Empty Re: nhra approved antifreeze?

Post  514F-1 September 2nd 2014, 7:21 pm

None that I know of, antifreeze will get you the boot at some tracks...Use Water Wetter and distilled water, won't hurt a thing. Cool

EDIT: Sorry, I missed the winter protection part, not sure what the best option is there, I don't have that issue being in florida, might just be better off to just drain it in the winter. Neutral
514F-1
514F-1

Back to top Go down

Post  FalconEh September 2nd 2014, 7:25 pm

Water / and water wetter at the track, the be safe and dump half of the water and add antifreeze... its cold up here in the winter !
FalconEh
FalconEh

Back to top Go down

Post  Curt September 2nd 2014, 7:31 pm

You can run RV antifreeze. It won't be a clean up problem if you spill it on the track.
Curt
Curt

Back to top Go down

Post  69F100 September 2nd 2014, 7:47 pm

I drain mine in the cold winter month we have here and put antifreeze in then before I carry mine to the track I drain it and flush it with water then fill it with water and a bottle of water wetter for the summer. Just draining the water will not get all of it out of the block and can still freeze and bust the block. I had one back some years ago to freeze bust with just water with no hoses hooked up it bust between the freeze plugs it was a old 351m so no big loss.

An like Curt said the RV antifreeze for winterizing the fresh water system will work also
69F100
69F100
BBF CONTRIBUTOR
BBF CONTRIBUTOR

Back to top Go down

Post  bbf-falcon September 2nd 2014, 10:21 pm

I drain mine before winter,so I just use distilled water and a bottle of "ArmorAll" to keep the waterpump lubricated. Done this for years w/o issues.

bbf-falcon

Back to top Go down

Post  rmcomprandy September 3rd 2014, 12:02 am

The ONLY anti boil /anti-freeze they will allow in SCCA Road Racing or NASCAR is the "propolene glycol" type, (read expensive), because it is bio-degradable, non-poisonous and washes away easily with water.
You can use RV drinking water type anti freeze, (the pink stuff in the regular gallon bottles), but, it boils easily and won't protect against corrosion.

Regular "all season" anti-freeze is "ethylene glycol" and is not race friendly at all; worse than oil to clean-up.

rmcomprandy

http://www.rmcompetition.com

Back to top Go down

Post  maverick September 3rd 2014, 8:22 am

rmcomprandy wrote:The ONLY anti boil /anti-freeze they will allow in SCCA Road Racing or NASCAR is the "propolene glycol" type, (read expensive), because it is bio-degradable, non-poisonous and washes away easily with water.
You can use RV drinking water type anti freeze, (the pink stuff in the regular gallon bottles), but, it boils easily and won't protect against corrosion.

Regular "all season" anti-freeze is "ethylene glycol" and is not race friendly at all; worse than oil to clean-up.

The "boils easily" part would put me off. That would improve the chances for it to wind up on the track. Wink

As above, water & water wetter, drain and replace with af for winter. It ain't that hard to flush, especially with electric water pumps.
maverick
maverick
BBF CONTRIBUTOR
BBF CONTRIBUTOR

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down