BIG BLOCK FORD
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

How Safe Is A VW Front Runner Tire ??

+6
4thHorseman
cool40
DILLIGASDAVE
bbf-falcon
yellowhorse7
colormebad
10 posters

Go down

How Safe Is A VW Front Runner Tire ??  Empty How Safe Is A VW Front Runner Tire ??

Post  colormebad January 25th 2014, 4:35 pm

I done wheelies for years and coming down hard, never any problems...How safe you guys think a VW tire is...Also how safe going faster ???

colormebad

Back to top Go down

How Safe Is A VW Front Runner Tire ??  Empty Re: How Safe Is A VW Front Runner Tire ??

Post  yellowhorse7 January 25th 2014, 5:25 pm

colormebad wrote:I done wheelies for years and coming down hard, never any problems...How safe you guys think a VW tire is...Also how safe going faster ???

A metric 160? Fine IMO
yellowhorse7
yellowhorse7

Back to top Go down

How Safe Is A VW Front Runner Tire ??  Empty Re: How Safe Is A VW Front Runner Tire ??

Post  colormebad January 25th 2014, 5:44 pm

yellowhorse7 wrote:
colormebad wrote:I done wheelies for years and coming down hard, never any problems...How safe you guys think a VW tire is...Also how safe going faster ???

A metric 160?  Fine IMO

This is the one i been running below...Have ran kelly and other brands also...

http://www.walmart.com/ip/Nexen-SB802-Tire-165-80R15/19473481

colormebad

Back to top Go down

Post  bbf-falcon January 25th 2014, 8:31 pm

Probably safer than those thin ass racing tires we all run imo.

bbf-falcon

Back to top Go down

Post  DILLIGASDAVE January 26th 2014, 4:25 am

The 165's have been used by countless numbers of people as a front runner forever and ever. They probably aren't the best idea for taking corners at speed on a fairly heavy pro street ride, but should be usable on a lot of other applications.
DILLIGASDAVE
DILLIGASDAVE

Back to top Go down

Post  cool40 January 26th 2014, 10:56 am

bbf-falcon wrote:

Probably safer than those thin ass racing tires we all run imo.
x2..I been running a set for years I should replace. Before that i had good year front runners. One got against the trailer ramp and took out the sidewall. I was shocked how easy it was to do.
cool40
cool40
BBF CONTRIBUTOR
BBF CONTRIBUTOR

Back to top Go down

Post  4thHorseman January 28th 2014, 11:27 am

I've run them (vw sized radials) a lot too. I currently have them on the front of a '32 I am assembling. But the thing that concerns me in a dedicated drag car is the speed rating. The front runner types may be more expensive but are designed to run at ludicrous speed without coming apart. I seen a bunch of pics a while back of them all tore up on cars similar to our and decided to just upgrade. Maybe they would've lasted forever. But I didn't want to chance it.
4thHorseman
4thHorseman

Back to top Go down

Post  Curt January 28th 2014, 11:47 am

I've seen moped tires on the front of dragsters going over 200 MPH. How much does a front tire really do on a strip only car?
Curt
Curt

Back to top Go down

Post  4thHorseman January 28th 2014, 12:21 pm

Curt wrote:I've seen moped tires on the front of dragsters going over 200 MPH. How much does a front tire really do on a strip only car?

Probably not much on a dragster other than keep her straight. No load on them way up there. And not come apart at excess speed is a plus. Gotta consider weight load on those vw type little radials. Consider the car they are meant for. If you don't have much weight on them, and you're not slamming them with iron block BBF's from 5' wheelies into the track and immediately asking them to rip off 150mph + passes, you're probably just ducky. Like my '32 street build. I think you take your chances otherwise. Just my opinion here. But I don't much want to die, or f up my car. I find as I get older mortality is of more concern than when I was younger and indestructible.
4thHorseman
4thHorseman

Back to top Go down

Post  colormebad January 28th 2014, 2:16 pm

4thHorseman wrote:
Curt wrote:I've seen moped tires on the front of dragsters going over 200 MPH. How much does a front tire really do on a strip only car?

Probably not much on a dragster other than keep her straight.  No load on them way up there.  And not come apart at excess speed is a plus.  Gotta consider weight load on those vw type little radials.  Consider the car they are meant for.  If you don't have much weight on them, and you're not slamming them with iron block BBF's from 5' wheelies into the track and immediately asking them to rip off 150mph + passes, you're probably just ducky.  Like my '32 street build.  I think you take your chances otherwise.  Just my opinion here.  But I don't much want to die, or f up my car.  I find as I get older mortality is of more concern than when I was younger and indestructible.

After what i have read on other sites...Im staying away from the VW tire...My car does do wheelstands and im just not taking that chance, Also the faster speeds bother me with that tire..

colormebad

Back to top Go down

Post  YellowStangDuane January 28th 2014, 5:16 pm

BFG makes a tire for Muscle Cars, I have them on the front of mine 155/80R15 http://www.bfgoodrichtires.com/tire-selector/size/pmetric/155/80/15/tires
YellowStangDuane
YellowStangDuane

Back to top Go down

Post  colormebad January 28th 2014, 6:21 pm

YellowStangDuane wrote:BFG makes a tire for Muscle Cars, I have them on the front of mine 155/80R15 http://www.bfgoodrichtires.com/tire-selector/size/pmetric/155/80/15/tires  

I need at least a 26" and 6.5 or so section width...

colormebad

Back to top Go down

Post  Curt January 30th 2014, 1:49 pm

4thHorseman wrote:

Probably not much on a dragster other than keep her straight.  No load on them way up there.  And not come apart at excess speed is a plus.  Gotta consider weight load on those vw type little radials.  Consider the car they are meant for.  If you don't have much weight on them, and you're not slamming them with iron block BBF's from 5' wheelies into the track and immediately asking them to rip off 150mph + passes, you're probably just ducky.  Like my '32 street build.  I think you take your chances otherwise.  Just my opinion here.  But I don't much want to die, or f up my car.  I find as I get older mortality is of more concern than when I was younger and indestructible.

There's not much load on the front of a strip only drag car. It would be hard to damage a properly inflated rubber tire mounted to a suspension due to bouncing it. The speed wouldn't have much effect on a light weight tire like this. I've ran a 295/75R22.5 at over 100 mph for many miles @ 34,000 lbs. They're only rated for 55mph.

If you're worried, then spend the money and put a purpose built tire on the wheel. Pretty simple..
Curt
Curt

Back to top Go down

Post  colormebad January 30th 2014, 2:36 pm

Curt wrote:
4thHorseman wrote:

There's not much load on the front of a strip only drag car. It would be hard to damage a properly inflated rubber tire mounted to a suspension due to bouncing it. The speed wouldn't have much effect on a light weight tire like this.  I've ran a 295/75R22.5 at over 100 mph for many miles @ 34,000 lbs. They're only rated for 55mph.

If you're worried, then spend the money and put a purpose built tire on the wheel.  Pretty simple..

Im taking about 170 +

colormebad

Back to top Go down

Post  res0rli9 January 30th 2014, 2:49 pm

If I was going 170+ I'd Dam sore want a tire rated that speed..That's just me tho.

res0rli9
BBF CONTRIBUTOR
BBF CONTRIBUTOR

Back to top Go down

Post  Curt January 30th 2014, 3:21 pm

colormebad wrote:
Curt wrote:
4thHorseman wrote:

There's not much load on the front of a strip only drag car. It would be hard to damage a properly inflated rubber tire mounted to a suspension due to bouncing it. The speed wouldn't have much effect on a light weight tire like this.  I've ran a 295/75R22.5 at over 100 mph for many miles @ 34,000 lbs. They're only rated for 55mph.

If you're worried, then spend the money and put a purpose built tire on the wheel.  Pretty simple..

Im taking about 170 +

As said before, you "probably" wouldn't have any issues. It wouldn't bother me any.

What is the speed rating on a Hoosier front? I bet you cant find one.
Curt
Curt

Back to top Go down

Post  colormebad January 30th 2014, 6:42 pm

res0rli9 wrote:If I was going 170+ I'd Dam sore want a tire rated that speed..That's just me tho.

LoL

colormebad

Back to top Go down

Post  austin460 February 1st 2014, 5:30 am

4thHorseman wrote:

So what your saying is they will be fine if you wear your underwear on top of your racing suit  Very Happy

To be serious I tried running the skinny radials and had quite a few problems with them, They just didn't seem to like the weight of the 460 on them. Although this was in a street/strip application an the roads over here aren't always the best.
austin460
austin460

Back to top Go down

Post  bbf-falcon February 1st 2014, 2:20 pm

The VW skinnies were on the AA/Hemi Alterds back in the day w/all their crazy wheelstands and such long before the front runners,should be fine i suspect. Very Happy 

bbf-falcon

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down