BIG BLOCK FORD
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

future refrence for build using a 4.600 stroke crank

+2
bbf-falcon
5pointslow
6 posters

Go down

future refrence for build using a 4.600 stroke crank  Empty future refrence for build using a 4.600 stroke crank

Post  5pointslow December 26th 2013, 8:24 am

Not building anything right yet , have enough things to do body chassis wise on car . I may order one of these 4.6 stroke ohio forged cranks and put aside .

I have read the other thread on them , as well on other sites . From what i have read they are good bang for buck cranks providing you realize there not a drop in unit when you get them and that they need to be worked to get prope clearance .

With that being said , using a 4bolt dove block what are piston options for a 4.600 stroke ? i would assume 6.7 rod to get the most piston i could.

Main question is pistons available ? withoutout going custom

figuared .060 over block or .080 over your talking 565-570 CI stock block  id like to use some scj

Pretty bad when you buy a crank at a decent price and do a build around the deal on the crank you get lol
5pointslow
5pointslow

Back to top Go down

future refrence for build using a 4.600 stroke crank  Empty Re: future refrence for build using a 4.600 stroke crank

Post  bbf-falcon December 26th 2013, 10:08 am

I haven't personally researched the use of a 4.6 crank OR crunched the numbers but,I would say any piston would likely be custom at this time.

bbf-falcon

Back to top Go down

future refrence for build using a 4.600 stroke crank  Empty Re: future refrence for build using a 4.600 stroke crank

Post  c.evans December 26th 2013, 11:16 am

5pointslow wrote:Not building anything right yet , have enough things to do body chassis wise on car . I may order one of these 4.6 stroke ohio forged cranks and put aside .

I have read the other thread on them , as well on other sites . From what i have read they are good bang for buck cranks providing you realize there not a drop in unit when you get them and that they need to be worked to get prope clearance .

With that being said , using a 4bolt dove block what are piston options for a 4.600 stroke ? i would assume 6.7 rod to get the most piston i could.

Main question is pistons available ? withoutout going custom

figuared .060 over block or .080 over your talking 565-570 CI stock block  id like to use some scj

Pretty bad when you buy a crank at a decent price and do a build around the deal on the crank you get lol

You are right, it is pretty bad when you design an entire build around a cheap crankshaft. In that same vein, I have seen an entire build designed around a set of swap meet pistons that a guy bought. Yep, they were forged pistons, etc., but they were still standard bore. So he had to teardown and search through 5 or 6 blocks and the whole deal turned into a fiasco because he was trying to "cheap out".

Back to your question. Diamond Pistons has more BB Ford shelf item pistons than any of the other manufacturers. They do not have any designed around a 4.600" stroke crankshaft to the best of my knowledge. They jump from 4.500" to 4.750". So, like what Rick said, you will need to do either a custom piston,,,,or a custom rod length.

I would caution you not to put that long of a stroke in a DOVE-A block or any of the short cylinder blocks that we have. The issue which has been covered several times both on the old forum and this forum, is how much you are pulling the piston skirt out of the bottom of the cylinder at BDC.

If you really need the cubic inches gained from that long of a stroke, my suggestion is to save your money until you can afford to buy an aftermarket block. In the long run, it will cost you less and you will be happier.

Uncle Charlie

c.evans
BBF VENDOR SPONSOR
BBF VENDOR SPONSOR

Back to top Go down

Post  5pointslow December 26th 2013, 11:32 am

^ good to know

this makes sense and would be more ideal with a 4.5 stroke when its time , plus more piston options vs custom deals .

i know what your saying and I will build an engine eventually and sitting on a cheap crankshaft isnt the best i just thought that was funny saying that . And i have people i know that have done the start of a build from getting a damn bumper lol

5pointslow
5pointslow

Back to top Go down

Post  rmcomprandy December 26th 2013, 12:39 pm

c.evans wrote:

You are right, it is pretty bad when you design an entire build around a cheap crankshaft. In that same vein, I have seen an entire build designed around a set of swap meet pistons that a guy bought. Yep, they were forged pistons, etc., but they were still standard bore. So he had to teardown and search through 5 or 6 blocks and the whole deal turned into a fiasco because he was trying to "cheap out".

Back to your question.  Diamond Pistons has more BB Ford shelf item pistons than any of the other manufacturers. They do not have any designed around a 4.600" stroke crankshaft to the best of my knowledge.  They jump from 4.500" to 4.750". So, like what Rick said, you will need to do either a custom piston,,,,or a custom rod length.

Uncle Charlie

DIAMOND will make singular changes to their shelf pistons, (compression distance), for a small charge

Not race engines however, I have built several 4.590" stroke engines for NOT high RPM applications; (Sunday and legal holiday street cruiser engines), using offset ground FRPP 4.300" stroke cast "steel" crankshafts.
Off the shelf stroker pistons having 1.250" compression height and "RPM" brand H-beam rods for a Mopar with a Chevy journal, which are 6.760" long.

rmcomprandy

http://www.rmcompetition.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Lem Evans December 26th 2013, 5:32 pm

"DIAMOND will make singular changes to their shelf pistons, (compression distance), for a small charge"

X2. Diamonds "change to" option can save going to a custom piston when changes are needed to the c.d. or bore.

Lem Evans

http://bfevansraceparts.com

Back to top Go down

Post  whatbumper December 26th 2013, 8:43 pm

I've never seen a decent ohio crankshaft but I haven't seen everything either.

whatbumper

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down