BIG BLOCK FORD
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Split Leaf Mono's... who has experience with 'em?

2 posters

Go down

Split Leaf Mono's... who has experience with 'em? Empty Split Leaf Mono's... who has experience with 'em?

Post  4thHorseman November 2nd 2009, 10:44 am

What did you like or dislike about them? Are they worth it for improving 60' on a CalTrac car?
4thHorseman
4thHorseman

Back to top Go down

Split Leaf Mono's... who has experience with 'em? Empty Re: Split Leaf Mono's... who has experience with 'em?

Post  Greg_P November 2nd 2009, 10:58 am

I am running them on the Torino.

They are lighter than the multi leaf spring setup.

I don't know how much they are worth in the 60 foot.

Calvert expressed to me a concern that their life on the street may be limited.

So far so good in my case, though!

We ran in the mid 1.40's all day yesterday, with a best of 1.44.

Greg
Greg_P
Greg_P

Back to top Go down

Split Leaf Mono's... who has experience with 'em? Empty Re: Split Leaf Mono's... who has experience with 'em?

Post  4thHorseman November 2nd 2009, 11:30 am

Nice! I typically run low 1.6's off foot brake. Bottle or motor its all been the same 60'. I am convinced the car can do better and I'm looking to sort this out and shave weight. So I am considering them to work the bars better.
4thHorseman
4thHorseman

Back to top Go down

Post  Greg_P November 2nd 2009, 11:47 am

In the case of our nose heavy Torino, the caltracs just are not the best thing out there IMHO.

We have made WAY more progress in the 60' by working with the FRONT suspension, not the rear.

Maybe with the shorter wheelbase of your mustang you'll have better luck than we have.

Greg
Greg_P
Greg_P

Back to top Go down

Post  4thHorseman November 2nd 2009, 12:32 pm

Well, I am also looking to install the rollerized coil spring perches up front. Do you believe I'd see more bang for the buck here first over the gain in 60' off the mono's?

Current suspension is Moroso front drag springs, 90/10 front, 60/40 rear drag shocks, no front sway bar, caltrac bars on stock-type leaf springs. The stocker front spring perches are from 1969 and squeak like a covered wagon going down the street.
4thHorseman
4thHorseman

Back to top Go down

Post  Greg_P November 2nd 2009, 12:44 pm

I believe that working on the front is going to help for sure, so yes that's where I would suggest you to start.

According to Calvert, the more front suspension travel the better and the less extension damping the better.

Itook it to the extreme and added an inch and a half to the extension travel on my car, and took stock shocks and emptied them of oil and installed them. With the addition to the roller bearing spring perches, the front of the car is very free now.

This was worth a consistent .12 in the 60 foot.

For the year prior, we worked on all kinds of rear suspension adjustments, shock settings, etc. and never found anything that worked.

The best move I made was to ditch the Lakewood 90/10's (way to stiff on extension) and add the roller spring perches.

I have also discovered that my car likes leaving at around 1500 rpm, not 2000 rpm. This was after a suggestion by Northwest Outlaw that preloading the rear suspension at the staging beam might be taking away from the performance of the cal-tracs.

Like I said, though, your car may react differently. I doubt your car has 2200+ lbs on the front axle like ours does....lol......

Greg
Greg_P
Greg_P

Back to top Go down

Post  4thHorseman November 2nd 2009, 5:35 pm

I have also added 1.5" extension to my front suspension. I am about to order up some roller perches.

How stable is you car in the top without oil in your front shocks? I am considering following your lead but I'm concerned about it wandering. Currently my car runs straight as an arrow (except for the first 100' or so).
4thHorseman
4thHorseman

Back to top Go down

Post  Greg_P November 2nd 2009, 6:26 pm

I was concerned that the empty shocks would be a problem on a full 1/4 mile track, but was pleasantly surprised that the car drove straight as can be.

Greg
Greg_P
Greg_P

Back to top Go down

Post  4thHorseman November 5th 2009, 3:51 pm

Ordered a set of the roller perches. Redid my pinion angle last night also. It needed 6 degree wedges over the 4 degree ones that I had in there. I have it at -4 degrees overall now (caltrac car). I then pulled my front cheapo 90/10 shocks and carefully drilled a weep hole and pumped out the oil. Bolted them back on and took it for a quick spin out on the mesa. The front end does feel a little bit looser on crappy road surfaces but the much more sudden weight transfer is worth it. The hood really jumps up now. Thanks for the tip.
4thHorseman
4thHorseman

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down