BIG BLOCK FORD
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Cam Recommendation

5 posters

Go down

Cam Recommendation Empty Cam Recommendation

Post  460Dave November 11th 2013, 9:59 am

I am grateful for any advice you can give me on a cam and spring recommendation.  This Dove headed combo is entirely new and I have no idea what cam options might do for me (with and without the NOS).  

Engine
466, forged TRW LW flattops, Stock block and crank, H-beams w/ ARP 2000
D0ve heads that have been home ported using Scotty's guidelines (they have not been flowed).  New bronze guides and exh seats.  New Ferrea valves (2.19 x 1.76). I have studs, guideplates, and 1.73 rockers, but do not have any springs, retainers, or keepers.  
Victor (unported) intake and Holley 1050 Dominator I also have a 4150 Performer RPM I could use, if I could still get good results (looking for the incognito factor)
2" coated full length headers to 3.5" collectors.
NOS 2-stage 250hp nitrous (never used)
MSD Digital 6

Ride
3005 lb Fox body, Powerglide w/ 5000 stall and brake, 4.11 rear w/ 315 ET streets.

Use
Drag racing

460Dave

Back to top Go down

Cam Recommendation Empty Ok.. let's try this

Post  460Dave November 21st 2013, 3:45 pm

Comp Cams spec'd a custom mech roller for me. I would appreciate any input/feedback about the specs you guys might have from real world experience. If this cam is right, should it be installed straight up?

Again, drag race, home ported D0VE heads, flat tops, w/ 200 shot of nitrous, 6800 rpm or so

Suggested cam from Comp

Valve lift - .685 int, .669 exh
Duration @ .050 - 260 int, 270 exh
lobe sep - 112
adv - 0

valve timing @ .050
IO - 18
IC - 62
EO - 67
EC - 23

Intake lobe id - 4382
exhaust lobe id - 4296

Thanks in advance.

460Dave

Back to top Go down

Cam Recommendation Empty Re: Cam Recommendation

Post  rmcomprandy November 21st 2013, 5:48 pm

Drag Race ONLY ... something a bit bigger especially on the exhaust side, (with the nitrous), and a little tighter, (if without nitrous), and it will require the rest of the valve train to "keep up"..

A LOT will depend upon the actual race worthyness of the vehicle.

rmcomprandy

http://www.rmcompetition.com

Back to top Go down

Post  460Dave November 22nd 2013, 8:49 am

When you say bigger, are you referring to lift, duration, or both? How much bigger would you expect to see?

Can you please expand your thoughts on what you meant by the valve train keeping up. I have comp rollers, good valves, springs will match the cam needs, stud girdle, and good quality push rods. Will a cam with more extreme profiles push one component more than others? I am really looking for information I can learn from. I understand general valve train geometry, but I haven't run extreme components as much as you guys.

The rest of the car will more than hold up to this engine. It has been entirely purpose built for this.

460Dave

Back to top Go down

Post  rmcomprandy November 22nd 2013, 11:06 am

460Dave wrote:I am grateful for any advice you can give me on a cam and spring recommendation.  This Dove headed combo is entirely new and I have no idea what cam options might do for me (with and without the NOS).  

Engine
466, forged TRW LW flattops, Stock block and crank, H-beams w/ ARP 2000
D0ve heads that have been home ported using Scotty's guidelines (they have not been flowed).  New bronze guides and exh seats.  New Ferrea valves (2.19 x 1.76). I have studs, guideplates, and 1.73 rockers, but do not have any springs, retainers, or keepers.  
Victor (unported) intake and Holley 1050 Dominator  I also have a 4150 Performer RPM I could use, if I could still get good results (looking for the incognito factor)
2" coated full length headers to 3.5" collectors.
NOS 2-stage 250hp nitrous (never used)
MSD Digital 6

Ride
3005 lb Fox body, Powerglide w/ 5000 stall and brake, 4.11 rear w/ 315 ET streets.

Use
Drag racing
Bigger means MORE LOBE AREA which can be duration, lift or both.  Getting the correct valve to piston clearance is a major part of what you can use.
Intended maintenance schedule will have a lot to do with the camshaft characteristics and how much it beats-up the valve train.
More horsepower MEANS a more aggressive camshaft which means faster worn valve train parts, (even well matched components), leading to needing maintenance more often and changing those other parts.
It is ALL related to one another...

rmcomprandy

Back to top Go down

Post  69F100 November 22nd 2013, 1:53 pm

Call Randy, Lem, or one of our other cam grinders on here they know more about the BBF engine than comp cams does and get you a better cam for most likely cheaper than you can buy it from comp cams. I had Randy make mine for the 460 for just a few dollars more than a off the shelf grind and it made the power with my 460. My engine was the same as yours but I was running speed pro flats with stock rods home ported dove -c heads with stock size valves it ran the best of 6.72 in the 1/8 in my ranger weight of 3265.
69F100
69F100
BBF CONTRIBUTOR
BBF CONTRIBUTOR

Back to top Go down

Post  supervel45 November 25th 2013, 2:17 am

69F100 wrote:Call Randy, Lem, or one of our other cam grinders on here they know more about the BBF engine than comp cams does and get you a better cam for most likely cheaper than you can buy it from comp cams. I had Randy make mine for the 460 for just a few dollars more than a off the shelf grind and it made the power with my 460. My engine was the same as yours but I was running speed pro flats with stock rods home ported dove -c heads with stock size valves it ran the best of 6.72 in the 1/8 in my ranger weight of 3265.
                                                                                                                                        I agree with the above. I only posted at all, to say that I think the Victor intake would be best if it is a drag only car. It is hard to be incognito with a Fox body and a 466 anyhow. Just my opinion, though. I would not put alot of stock in Comp Cams advice, either, esp. on a Ford. Alot of cam companies seem more Chevy savy.

supervel45

Back to top Go down

Post  dfree383 November 25th 2013, 2:43 am

for a 466 IMO I'd run a 108 LC..... if your not going to use the NO2, But thats just me.
dfree383
dfree383
BBF CONTRIBUTOR
BBF CONTRIBUTOR

Back to top Go down

Post  supervel45 November 25th 2013, 3:37 am

dfree383 wrote:for a 466 IMO I'd run a 108 LC..... if your not going to use the NO2, But thats just me.
It will still spay good, just not as good. May not need as much octane either? Defree 383 congrats on that BBF EMC build, very impressive.

supervel45

Back to top Go down

Post  460Dave November 25th 2013, 8:55 am

when I said that the NOS system was (never used). I meant that "I" had never used it.  It seemed like it might be an important bit of info that this combo is new to nitrous.  I would like to spray 200 or so with this cam, but have no idea what a nitrous cam needs are.  Sorry for the confusion.

and it is full drag race.

460Dave

Back to top Go down

Post  rmcomprandy November 25th 2013, 11:17 am

All the time nitrous ... once in a while nitrous .. the size of the shot ... Wide Open Throttle racing or sometimes part throttle ... street driven with only sometime Wide Open Throttle ... ALL will make a difference as to what is best suited.

rmcomprandy

Back to top Go down

Post  460Dave November 25th 2013, 12:49 pm

This is a 3000lb drag race only car (glide, E/T 315 radials, 4.11).  The car ran a best of 10.0 @135 with the last engine (466 NA w/ small roller cam. The converter stalled @ 5K on this engine).  I've never used nitrous before, but I would assume it would be most all the time (depending on track conditions).   I have a plate/solenoids that will support a 250 shot.  If I can get it to hook, then that would be great.  If not, a 150 or 200 might be more appropriate.  I do not have a progressive controller to gradually "hit" the nitrous.

I have also never drag raced with part throttle.....(unless I spun off the line Smile, don't really see the point in that.  I never said anything about being incognito, or running on the street.  This car is far from incognito.

My intentions is to get the car to use the parts I have to hook hard and get to the finish line as quickly as possible... every time.  The combination / parts I have to work with were explained in the first post.  I was just looking for help on the Comp proposed cam in my combination.

My understanding of this is exactly what has been explained.  The entire project (parts, situation, use, etc.) must be taken into account to figure what might be best suited. Everything works as a "combination". That is why I have tried to explain what I am working with.

460Dave

Back to top Go down

Post  rmcomprandy November 25th 2013, 1:46 pm

rmcomprandy wrote:
Drag Race ONLY ... something a bit bigger especially on the exhaust side, (with the nitrous), and a little tighter, (if without nitrous), and it will require the rest of the valve train to "keep up"..
Same recommendation ... sorry if you are looking to hear something else.

rmcomprandy

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum