BIG BLOCK FORD
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Timing Gear/cam retaining bolt

4 posters

Go down

Timing Gear/cam retaining bolt Empty Timing Gear/cam retaining bolt

Post  HorsinAround 12th August 2013, 22:32

Can some one give me the length of the timing gear retaining bolt? I'm guesstimating 7/16 x 2-1/2" fine thread. I had a fine thread 7/16 bolt to verify the diameter/thread but it was way too long. Also, what is the thickness and diameter of the washer?

I had kept the stock stuff, but this aftermarket cam has a larger diameter bolt.

Thank You,
AP
HorsinAround
HorsinAround

http://www.frontpagefab.com

Back to top Go down

Timing Gear/cam retaining bolt Empty Re: Timing Gear/cam retaining bolt

Post  rmcomprandy 12th August 2013, 22:51

HorsinAround wrote:Can some one give me the length of the timing gear retaining bolt? I'm guesstimating 7/16 x 2-1/2" fine thread. I had a fine thread 7/16 bolt to verify the diameter/thread but it was way too long. Also, what is the thickness and diameter of the washer?

I had kept the stock stuff, but this aftermarket cam has a larger diameter bolt.

Thank You,
AP
The bolt is usually about 1 5/8" long. I normally use and alloy rod bolt of the correct length with a 3/16" thick hardened washer about 1 1/2" inches in siameter. (The washer is a Pioneer cam bolt washer for an FE engine but, I can't remember the part number).

rmcomprandy

http://www.rmcompetition.com

Back to top Go down

Timing Gear/cam retaining bolt Empty bolt and washer.

Post  460pulling 12th August 2013, 23:23

I bought a SBC mr. Gasket.  Damper Bolt and washer tossed the bolt in a bin. Used the washer it was grade 8 and big and thick. and a ARP 7/16 rod bolt.

Randy M. had sent me this awhile back hope it helps
"Normally I use a 7/16" 8740 or better rod bolt, (1.500" to 1.600" long), and an ARP #200-8717 hard 2" washer, .275" thick."

460pulling

Back to top Go down

Post  HorsinAround 13th August 2013, 10:14

Talked to one of the machinists here at work today and he is going to make a washer for me, then I will harden it tonight with the torch and some oil.
HorsinAround
HorsinAround

http://www.frontpagefab.com

Back to top Go down

Post  rmcomprandy 13th August 2013, 17:57

460pulling wrote:I bought a SBC mr. Gasket.  Damper Bolt and washer tossed the bolt in a bin. Used the washer it was grade 8 and big and thick. and a ARP 7/16 rod bolt.

Randy M. had sent me this awhile back hope it helps
"Normally I use a 7/16" 8740 or better rod bolt, (1.500" to 1.600" long), and an ARP #200-8717 hard 2" washer, .275" thick."
Using that washer is for a high valve spring pressure valve train and a very high lift roller camshaft; (but, of course it will work with a cam and system which would survive lesser).

rmcomprandy

http://www.rmcompetition.com

Back to top Go down

Post  hienergy557 13th August 2013, 23:13

HorsinAround wrote:Talked to one of the machinists here at work today and he is going to make a washer for me, then I will harden it tonight with the torch and some oil.
That's what Kaase said on one of the engine tech DVD's. IIRC hs said .400" thick.
hienergy557
hienergy557

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down