BIG BLOCK FORD
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

brake line plumbing for ford ranger master cylinder.... on my f100....

5 posters

Go down

brake line plumbing for ford ranger master cylinder.... on my f100.... Empty brake line plumbing for ford ranger master cylinder.... on my f100....

Post  bluef100fe May 14th 2013, 7:36 pm

Finally fed up with my original master cylinder leaking fluid all over my steering column/firewall. I've had this ranger master cylinder for awhile and don't know which line is for the front brakes and which line goes for the rear? The ranger has disk/drum brakes. I think they need to cross but not sure. It appears the chamber closer to the firewall is longer than the front chamber. I assume longer chamber larger displacement of oil for bigger piston on brake caliper verus wheel cylinder on drum brakes. Can anybody set me straight? TIA
bluef100fe
bluef100fe

Back to top Go down

brake line plumbing for ford ranger master cylinder.... on my f100.... Empty Re: brake line plumbing for ford ranger master cylinder.... on my f100....

Post  QtrWarrior May 14th 2013, 7:47 pm

Bigger chamber of master should feed the disc brakes..
QtrWarrior
QtrWarrior

Back to top Go down

brake line plumbing for ford ranger master cylinder.... on my f100.... Empty Re: brake line plumbing for ford ranger master cylinder.... on my f100....

Post  bb429power May 14th 2013, 8:02 pm

QtrWarrior wrote:Bigger chamber of master should feed the disc brakes..
x2

And the fittings should be different sizes as well, unless you are re flaring the lines. In that case, let me know and I'll take a look at where my lines go in the combination valve. I should have a picture.... Your's will probably be located higher by the steering box but the combo valve should have the same inlet/outlet locations even though yours is a disk/drum setup unlike my drum/drum.
bb429power
bb429power

Back to top Go down

Post  bb429power May 14th 2013, 8:05 pm

Also, make sure the ranger master cylinder is able to put out enough force to properly stop the f100. You'll probably have to learn this by trail and error though, like I usually do Laughing
bb429power
bb429power

Back to top Go down

Post  bluef100fe May 14th 2013, 8:09 pm

Yes fittings different sizes.... if I cross the lines like I think I need to .... there will be a big line nut on one end and a small regular size line nut on the other end... which I find odd. Since my stock master has the big line nuts on one line and the regular small line nuts on the other line... hence the questions...
bluef100fe
bluef100fe

Back to top Go down

Post  kim May 14th 2013, 10:31 pm

Ranger takes a metric nut. I made new lines, Tried to find adapters to take the american standard stuff to the 12 and 10 metric for the ranger, nope. Ended up at Napa getting nuts, cutting and flaring lines to make it work,

kim

Back to top Go down

Post  69F100 May 15th 2013, 12:47 am

bluef100fe wrote:Yes fittings different sizes.... if I cross the lines like I think I need to .... there will be a big line nut on one end and a small regular size line nut on the other end... which I find odd. Since my stock master has the big line nuts on one line and the regular small line nuts on the other line... hence the questions...

I had a 1974 F100 manual master on my Ranger I just changed it back to the aluminum Ranger master on it I only had to use one of the adapters that cam with the master cylinder. You can get what adapters you need from Advance Auto.
69F100
69F100
BBF CONTRIBUTOR
BBF CONTRIBUTOR

Back to top Go down

Post  bluef100fe May 15th 2013, 1:31 am

The line nuts that came with the master take a 1/2 inch and a 3/8 inch wrench.... I believe the master came from 1985 ford ranger with manual brakes and a four cylinder engine. I appear to have brakes now... just wanted to make sure I got them right before i try driving the truck... thanks for the help guys...
bluef100fe
bluef100fe

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down