BIG BLOCK FORD
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Lucas Engine Break-In Oil Additive...

4 posters

Go down

Lucas Engine Break-In Oil Additive... Empty Lucas Engine Break-In Oil Additive...

Post  Maxx Levell April 23rd 2013, 1:32 pm

Getting ready to put my engine back together and was thinking of using the Lucas Engine Break-In Oil Additive with zinc to wipe the cylinder walls down before installing the pistons. Good idea/bad idea? I have assembly lube for the bearings and such, just looking at this instead of 30 weight oil for the cylinder walls.

Thanks for any help!
Maxx Levell
Maxx Levell

Back to top Go down

Lucas Engine Break-In Oil Additive... Empty Re: Lucas Engine Break-In Oil Additive...

Post  dfree383 April 23rd 2013, 2:10 pm

just regular mineral oil is fine for the cylinder walls you don't need that stuff for that.

If you're running a Flat tappet cam then its a good idea to use it.
dfree383
dfree383
BBF CONTRIBUTOR
BBF CONTRIBUTOR

Back to top Go down

Lucas Engine Break-In Oil Additive... Empty Re: Lucas Engine Break-In Oil Additive...

Post  Maxx Levell April 23rd 2013, 2:18 pm

Didn't know if the zinc would help out on the rings or not, and it's a solid roller, so looks like I'll just put it on the shelf.

Thanks
Maxx Levell
Maxx Levell

Back to top Go down

Post  bbf-falcon April 23rd 2013, 2:59 pm

I just dip my pistons in the oil that will be run in it afterwards and go. If everything is right,the rings will seat after a couple of good burnouts. Smile

bbf-falcon

Back to top Go down

Post  Maxx Levell April 23rd 2013, 3:10 pm

Sounds like as good a plan as any Very Happy
Maxx Levell
Maxx Levell

Back to top Go down

Post  ThndrChkn April 24th 2013, 10:28 am

Everyone has their own method, but I just spray a very light spot of WD-40 in each cylinder before installing that piston and wipe it with my hand. Basically, you're just putting a light coat on for the skirts for initial start-up. I never put oil on the rings themselves. I told a guy here about this method, and he "said" when he started doing it this way, it showed a faster ring seat on his dyno compared to oiling the rings... Myself, I've never actually seen this, but an old timer told me this back when I was in high school, and at the time he was the "guru" in these parts, and I've never had seating issues...
ThndrChkn
ThndrChkn

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down