BIG BLOCK FORD
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Finally getting the Ranger body on the chassis

+17
schmitty
68formalGT
fatal addiction
IDT-572
f250mike
bigjohn2007
mudtrucker
bbf-falcon
Old blue Racin Team
Nevs
IDIeselman
HorsinAround
kjett
5pointslow
dfree383
69F100
norm
21 posters

Page 1 of 3 1, 2, 3  Next

Go down

Finally getting the Ranger body on the chassis Empty Finally getting the Ranger body on the chassis

Post  schmitty March 3rd 2013, 10:03 pm

Stripped the old F150 cab off.
Finally getting the Ranger body on the chassis 2013-02-28_11-26-35_59_zpsab01c98f
Set the Ranger cab on the chassis and got it squared up where the engine would fit in the engine bay.
Finally getting the Ranger body on the chassis 2013-03-01_16-16-41_368_zpsf222f31d
The cut off the inner fenders and radiator support, and set the engine in where it will go.
Finally getting the Ranger body on the chassis 2013-03-02_16-48-11_433_zps2417cb07
I was amazed at how easy it was to put this cab on a fullsize frame. I used a piece of 2.5" square tube in the back and bolted it to the old cab mounts, and then drilled new holes for the Ranger cab mounts. The front cab mount holes were almost right on top of the frame, and I used a piece of 1.25" square tube welded to the frame to attach it. The old front cab mounts are in a perfect place to attach my roll bar to. By the end of the week, I hope to have all of the body work done, then start putting the drivetrain back together.
schmitty
schmitty

Back to top Go down

Finally getting the Ranger body on the chassis Empty Re: Finally getting the Ranger body on the chassis

Post  norm March 3rd 2013, 10:50 pm

I'm interested in your front shocks. Afco's? I am planning to do something similar to my 79 bronco. Are they double adjustable? How much travel, etc.
norm
norm

Back to top Go down

Finally getting the Ranger body on the chassis Empty Re: Finally getting the Ranger body on the chassis

Post  schmitty March 3rd 2013, 11:01 pm

Yes they are AFCO, 6" travel DA.
schmitty
schmitty

Back to top Go down

Post  kjett March 3rd 2013, 11:03 pm

Looking good! I could have told you how easy this body style lines up with a late 70's short bed frame. Almost like it was meant to go there Wink
kjett
kjett

Back to top Go down

Post  69F100 March 3rd 2013, 11:48 pm

schmitty wrote:Stripped the old F150 cab off.
Finally getting the Ranger body on the chassis 2013-02-28_11-26-35_59_zpsab01c98f
Set the Ranger cab on the chassis and got it squared up where the engine would fit in the engine bay.
Finally getting the Ranger body on the chassis 2013-03-01_16-16-41_368_zpsf222f31d
The cut off the inner fenders and radiator support, and set the engine in where it will go.
Finally getting the Ranger body on the chassis 2013-03-02_16-48-11_433_zps2417cb07
I was amazed at how easy it was to put this cab on a fullsize frame. I used a piece of 2.5" square tube in the back and bolted it to the old cab mounts, and then drilled new holes for the Ranger cab mounts. The front cab mount holes were almost right on top of the frame, and I used a piece of 1.25" square tube welded to the frame to attach it. The old front cab mounts are in a perfect place to attach my roll bar to. By the end of the week, I hope to have all of the body work done, then start putting the drivetrain back together.

Well Rob it looking good are you going to run the bed or leave it off like the 150
69F100
69F100
BBF CONTRIBUTOR
BBF CONTRIBUTOR

Back to top Go down

Post  schmitty March 3rd 2013, 11:55 pm

I'm going to put on the bedside skins Jim. Our rules state that we have to have either the skins or a flatbed. The guys didn't push those rules too hard, but I figured I better get it legal.
schmitty
schmitty

Back to top Go down

Post  HorsinAround March 4th 2013, 12:50 pm

You can use the skins and .060 sq. tube steel and make a skeleton frame to mount the skins on. Extremely light weight yet strong (if done right).
HorsinAround
HorsinAround

http://www.frontpagefab.com

Back to top Go down

Post  kjett March 4th 2013, 12:54 pm

HorsinAround wrote:You can use the skins and .060 sq. tube steel and make a skeleton frame to mount the skins on. Extremely light weight yet strong (if done right).

You can also make a nice frame using 3/4" EMT conduit and a few flat pieces of plate. Much lighter and much less expensive to make or repair Wink
kjett
kjett

Back to top Go down

Post  dfree383 March 4th 2013, 1:21 pm

Lookin pretty smooth big daddy Twisted Evil
dfree383
dfree383
BBF CONTRIBUTOR
BBF CONTRIBUTOR

Back to top Go down

Post  5pointslow March 4th 2013, 3:00 pm

badass for sure ...up here in New england in my area i have have never been to a mud bog ? or whatever it called ..... but looks badass for sure , i bet that will throw some Twisted Evil
5pointslow
5pointslow

Back to top Go down

Post  HorsinAround March 4th 2013, 5:40 pm

HorsinAround wrote:You can use the skins and .060 square. tube steel and make a skeleton frame to mount the skins on. Extremely light weight yet strong (if done right).

Here is how I did mine.
Finally getting the Ranger body on the chassis Bedframe_zps98190095
Finally getting the Ranger body on the chassis Bedframe2_zps0f6148ac
HorsinAround
HorsinAround

Back to top Go down

Post  schmitty March 4th 2013, 9:37 pm

Thanks for the pics Alan, that is basically what I want to do to put on my skins.

Got most of the cage cut down and rewelded together and in the truck. I still have the dash bar, and back brace to put in, but the major stuff is in. Tomorrow hopefully the rest of the cage, and either the back skins, or the front clip done. Very Happy This thing is coming together really quick and easy so far, and I hope it keeps on going this way. Hope to have all of the body done and headed to get a bath in CaseIH red pretty soon.
schmitty
schmitty

Back to top Go down

Post  kjett March 4th 2013, 10:28 pm

Easy on the red ranger! Mine is bright cherry red with a lime green nose Smile
kjett
kjett

Back to top Go down

Post  HorsinAround March 4th 2013, 10:37 pm

schmitty wrote:Thanks for the pics Alan, that is basically what I want to do to put on my skins.

Hope to have all of the body done and headed to get a bath in CaseIH red pretty soon.

I'm startin not to like you... Laughing
HorsinAround
HorsinAround

Back to top Go down

Post  schmitty March 4th 2013, 10:40 pm

HorsinAround wrote:
schmitty wrote:Thanks for the pics Alan, that is basically what I want to do to put on my skins.

Hope to have all of the body done and headed to get a bath in CaseIH red pretty soon.

Don't be a hater, that's the color that the old cab was.
schmitty
schmitty

Back to top Go down

Post  IDIeselman March 4th 2013, 11:12 pm

Looks great schmitty, that's going to be a rocket! How do you like the fronts? I have contemplated cutting some swampers like that for less rotational mass but, unlike you guys I still need the front to pull not just steer.....on the rare occasion it touches the track. Twisted Evil
IDIeselman
IDIeselman

Back to top Go down

Post  schmitty March 4th 2013, 11:17 pm

Being as how I have never had any other fronts, I can't compare them to anything else. They do work well, and yes we do need the fronts to help. I have made the mistake of not engaging the front and definitely went a lot slower.
schmitty
schmitty

Back to top Go down

Post  HorsinAround March 5th 2013, 10:32 am

schmitty wrote:
HorsinAround wrote:

Don't be a hater, that's the color that the old cab was.

Ahh, no worries, my mamma taught me to like all colors, but my daddy taught me to love JD green lol.

BTW, is that a MF is see in the background? I have more hours on a TO30 than I care to count. Only hydraulics was the 3pt hitch. Everything grandpa had was either 3pt mount or old 2 row trip. Ahh, dem were the days. lol
HorsinAround
HorsinAround

Back to top Go down

Post  schmitty March 5th 2013, 11:07 am

Good eye there Alan, that is a Massey 185 with an old Farmhad F25 loader on it. It was what my wife's grandad used to feed cattle. It mostly sits around and is more of a portable scaffold than anything else anymore. It's a great running old tractor that would make a great yard tractor if I took off the loader, but then I would always be looking for a ladder to get up on the buildings, or fix roofs around here.
schmitty
schmitty

Back to top Go down

Post  Nevs March 5th 2013, 9:47 pm

I like it Rob. You and Denny are going to be twins! Cool
Nevs
Nevs
BBF CONTRIBUTOR
BBF CONTRIBUTOR

Back to top Go down

Post  schmitty March 5th 2013, 10:43 pm

Nevs wrote:I like it Rob. You and Denny are going to be twins! Cool
Denny will have to be the smart good looking one, I could never be either one. Laughing
schmitty
schmitty

Back to top Go down

Post  69F100 March 6th 2013, 12:51 am

Rob if you look throw my build tread you will see how I mounted my front clip and rear bed skin.My front clip comes off in about 10 mins have the grill and both fenders off.If the rain is gone in the morning I will be pulling it off getting ready to pull the engine got my short block ready for the heads Laughing so got to get the engine out.
69F100
69F100
BBF CONTRIBUTOR
BBF CONTRIBUTOR

Back to top Go down

Post  schmitty March 6th 2013, 9:18 am

Glad to hear that Jim. You are going to like that little extra smile factor coming from them extra cubes. Laughing I got the bedskins mounted yesterday, but didn't get the pics downloaded yet. Hopefully today I will get the front clip done. I'm going to make it a tilt front, and then be able to pull two pins and remove it completely. The hardest part will be skinning the hood. I can't believe how heavy that hood is. Shocked I think it is going to lose more than half it's weight after I cut the support structure off of the bottom. Cool
schmitty
schmitty

Back to top Go down

Post  kjett March 6th 2013, 11:17 am

It does, just be careful if you have to put a scoop on it that it doesn't flex in the middle. When mud lands on my hood, it starts to cave in some, so I have to pop I back out every once in a while. When the whole front clip (hood, fenders, grill) are all bolted together, I can take it off and put back on by myself Wink
kjett
kjett

Back to top Go down

Post  HorsinAround March 6th 2013, 1:06 pm

schmitty wrote:Glad to hear that Jim. You are going to like that little extra smile factor coming from them extra cubes. Laughing I got the bedskins mounted yesterday, but didn't get the pics downloaded yet. Hopefully today I will get the front clip done. I'm going to make it a tilt front, and then be able to pull two pins and remove it completely. The hardest part will be skinning the hood. I can't believe how heavy that hood is. Shocked I think it is going to lose more than half it's weight after I cut the support structure off of the bottom. Cool

I did that on my puller, and cutting out the support structure helped, but I can't say I gained 50% of the hoods initial weight. I also fabricated an aluminum core support and the whole front end was still heavy.
HorsinAround
HorsinAround

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 3 1, 2, 3  Next